Does unlocking the phone void the warranty with the manufacturer?

Found 5th Nov 2015
I bought a Sony phone that is locked to Vodafone and I want to unlock it. Would this void the warranty with sony?
Community Updates
AskiPhonePhones
12 Comments
Banned
yes
No, unlocking doesn't void the warranty. Rooting a phone does, but not a network unlock.
No does not void warranty
absoloooooooooooooooootleeeeeeeeee

NOT!
No, unlocking does not void the warranty. There was a big push where manufacturers said it di but it didnt hold up to a court of law.

Just remember to consider where you unlock your phone: so the sim doesnt get cloned or the IMEI Cloned and then the phone is barred later. If possible you vsn call vodafone to unlock the handset. If houre out of contract they should do it free :-)
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I looked on google and all I could find was people saying it does void the warranty.

On ebay I can get it unlocked for £3 and vodafone wants £20 to unlock it.. Not sure which to go for.
unlock it from vodafone
eBay-thousands who've done it cant all be idiots?
ether707

Thanks for the replies. I looked on google and all I could find was … Thanks for the replies. I looked on google and all I could find was people saying it does void the warranty. On ebay I can get it unlocked for £3 and vodafone wants £20 to unlock it.. Not sure which to go for.

eBay - I did a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 and it cost £3.75.

Vodafone do EXACTLY the same as the eBay sellers. They provide you with EXACTLY the same unlock code, it's just that Vodafone rip you off with an extortionate fee.

If you pay the £20 to Vodafone, then more fool you
Get vodaphone to unlock it
mrsarchy

Get vodaphone to unlock it

You're advising the ​OP to waste money
- No, it will NOT void the warranty.
- A code from eBay will be exactly the same as the code Vodafone will send you.

So:
- Don't worry
- Save yourself £17
- Ignore (some) of the idiotic comments above
- Enjoy your phone on a superior network
Edited by: "preecey" 6th Nov 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions