Expired

does windows 8 automatically defrag your primary drive?

6 replies
Found 24th Dec 2014
Installed an ssd, just wondering if windows 8 defrags your drive in the background. If so, is there a way to stop it?

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

6 Comments

It will optimise the drive weekly. It's different to defrag in previous versions, it recognises it is SSD and optimises it appropriately, so no need to worry.

the optimize part runs trim so its very important that you run it

Windows 8 does run a scheduled defrag but it'll detect the drive types attached and only work on a hard drive.

As above... no need to worry. The optimisation takes around a second or 2, basically all it does is check that the drive is getting the trim commands properly, and for mechanical hard drives it runs the defragmenter as usual. I must say though that the defragmenting takes a lot less time than it used to, even considering that it's done on a schedule... they have a few very nice "upgrades" that make windows 8.1 worth it in my opinion... and don't even notice the charms crap half the time once you have configured everything how you like it. As you can probably guess I like my old skool desktop style with my taskbar near to bursting and some shortcuts on my desktop to get to those hard to reach windows functions... the charms bar does have it's uses though I guess if you like widget style things to get your info.

paddy.stone

As above... no need to worry. The optimisation takes around a second or … As above... no need to worry. The optimisation takes around a second or 2, basically all it does is check that the drive is getting the trim commands properly, and for mechanical hard drives it runs the defragmenter as usual. I must say though that the defragmenting takes a lot less time than it used to, even considering that it's done on a schedule... they have a few very nice "upgrades" that make windows 8.1 worth it in my opinion... and don't even notice the charms crap half the time once you have configured everything how you like it. As you can probably guess I like my old skool desktop style with my taskbar near to bursting and some shortcuts on my desktop to get to those hard to reach windows functions... the charms bar does have it's uses though I guess if you like widget style things to get your info.

better to use winkey + s and enter the 1st couple of letters from the program. A lot quicker.

yeah, i know about using win +s for searching, but what I meant was just double clicking a la old school method to run programs, shortcuts etc is simpler than that....and also if you can't think of the name of the program win and s key isn't going to help, lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Mobile WiFi calling?44
    2. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...810
    3. WANTED tickets for Logic Manchester23
    4. Wanted: Sweet Sundays code (5 points) please!!11

See more discussions