Groups

Does working tax credit influence the amount of other benefits you get?

I was just speaking to a friend who asked me about this, so I googled.
    I couldn´t find a real answer though.
    He and his family get council tax and housing benefit at the moment
    and he found out he can also claim working tax credit.
    Does claiming working tax credit lower the amount of the other 2 benefits he gets?
    Or don´t they have anything to do with each other.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    He doesn´t have a computer so I thought i check for him :-)

18 Comments

Banned

yes it will, housing benefit is an income based benefit, it can sometimes work out worse off to, like you may be entiteld to £30 hb now, but get tax credits of £25 and get no hb, always best to check online, or ask at cab

[url]www.entitledto.co.uk[/url] will be able to calculate how much tax credit and housing benefit

Original Poster

Yeah I did that with his details and only working tax credit came up in the end?
    He´s getting council tax and housing benefits at the moment though.
    Weird that that didn´t come up at all.

Banned

tell them to put in the full rent and coucil tax they are supposed to pay, and it should come up if there entitled to any of top of the tax credits

Original Poster

I tried putting that in for him but whats the Local Housing Allowance thing all about?
    Never heard about that before to be honest. Is it new?

Local Housing Allowance is explained via a link on the entitled to site, from there you can calculate what the LHA is for the area and how many bedrooms etc. You would input that figure into the entitled to and it will calculate how much HB would be payable if WTC was claimed,

As a quick check that the figures are all ok you can do the calculation for WTC then reduce the amount payable to zero before doing the HB calculation,(it asks if you want to change the WTC figure) if the amnount of HB due is the same as they are currently receiveing you know that the rest of the figures will be about right.

If after putting the figures in you end up not getting a figure for HB then it would be likely that if they claimed WTC they would no longer qualify for HB. Its worth bearing in mind that HB is a "gateway" benefit and automatically qualifies the claimant to other benefits, so they should add in anything else they receive as a result of HB before deciding whether to claim WTC. (Free School Meals is one)

can i find out if we entitled to help with rent without going through entitled too as we already are in reciept of tax credits

edjaned;5648726

can i find out if we entitled to help with rent without going through … can i find out if we entitled to help with rent without going through entitled too as we already are in reciept of tax credits

I dont know of any other sites tbh, its the only one we ever use and its usually very accurate too, why dont you like it?

its not that i dont like it,its just it asks u loads of questions then tells u how much tax credits u can get b4 moving on to the housing benefit section,i already know the amount of tax credits i get so thought there might be somewhere that will just work out if u are entitled to housing benefit or not

edjaned;5648780

its not that i dont like it,its just it asks u loads of questions then … its not that i dont like it,its just it asks u loads of questions then tells u how much tax credits u can get b4 moving on to the housing benefit section,i already know the amount of tax credits i get so thought there might be somewhere that will just work out if u are entitled to housing benefit or not

It was originally intended to be used to chck on tax credit awards so it always starts there, you are stuck with going all the way through, you could always not be accurate on the tax credits bit then adjust the tax credits figure to the correct amount at the HB section. Either way it will probably be just as long.

ok thanks
    im just being lazy thats all

edjaned;5648814

ok thanksim just being lazy thats all

It shouldnt take that long, I have just run a calculation for someone and it only took a couple of minutes. good luck

just done it no didnt take that long according to that we are entitled to £49 per week towards our rent
    thanks very much kidkat

Original Poster

kidcat;5648656

Local Housing Allowance is explained via a link on the entitled to site, … Local Housing Allowance is explained via a link on the entitled to site, from there you can calculate what the LHA is for the area and how many bedrooms etc. You would input that figure into the entitled to and it will calculate how much HB would be payable if WTC was claimed, As a quick check that the figures are all ok you can do the calculation for WTC then reduce the amount payable to zero before doing the HB calculation,(it asks if you want to change the WTC figure) if the amnount of HB due is the same as they are currently receiveing you know that the rest of the figures will be about right.If after putting the figures in you end up not getting a figure for HB then it would be likely that if they claimed WTC they would no longer qualify for HB. Its worth bearing in mind that HB is a "gateway" benefit and automatically qualifies the claimant to other benefits, so they should add in anything else they receive as a result of HB before deciding whether to claim WTC. (Free School Meals is one)

I just read up and according to this
    LHA is a new method for working out the maximum amount of rent you can claim for. LHA will only affect people renting from a private sector landlord who enter into a new tenancy agreement or make a new claim for Housing Benefit after April 7th 2008.
    this system doesn´t apply to him and his family as they made the claim before april 7th 2008.
    From what I saw though, claims done this way give people more money?
    one bedroom 91 pounds per week where we live and the old way for claims before then its only about 200 per month?

TanyaSpace;5649042

I just read up and according to thisLHA is a new method for working out … I just read up and according to thisLHA is a new method for working out the maximum amount of rent you can claim for. LHA will only affect people renting from a private sector landlord who enter into a new tenancy agreement or make a new claim for Housing Benefit after April 7th 2008.this system doesn´t apply to him and his family as they made the claim before april 7th 2008.From what I saw though, claims done this way give people more money?one bedroom 91 pounds per week where we live and the old way for claims before then its only about 200 per month?

It wouldnt surprise me, i know of several people who were not eligible before LHA but afterwards were, our local council apply it to all new claims, if you calculate the amounts of tax credits etc and work out if they would be better off under LHA, it may be beneficial to close the current claim then restart - but that should not be done without proper advice.

Some councils treat a major change in income as a new claim so the tax credits may affect it in that way. Its best to get a rough guide yourself then get them some good advice from CAB or welfare rights adviser. Alot of councils now have a benefits adviser on staff who would be able to look all the figures and advise.

Original Poster

Thank you
    I´ll forward all the info to my friend and looking at what you just said I might have a look at the housing benefit we get too. Cuz at the moment it´s as said earlier around 200 a month but with that calculator you linked to it tells me we could get 98 weekly (working tax credit & housing benefit combined)

TanyaSpace;5649229

Thank you I´ll forward all the info to my friend and looking at what … Thank you I´ll forward all the info to my friend and looking at what you just said I might have a look at the housing benefit we get too. Cuz at the moment it´s as said earlier around 200 a month but with that calculator you linked to it tells me we could get 98 weekly (working tax credit & housing benefit combined)

Always worth checking these things regularly. Good luck

Original Poster

Thank you
    I guess we just call them and see what they say
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047134
      2. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.811
      3. What would be HELL to you?2839
      4. Driving without wing mirror?legal?1922