Does your premium go up on insurance, if the following year u made a claim????

Found 27th MarEdited by:"machomansavage"
Hi guys,

@chocci pointed out in previous question that by making a claim on insurance (home,contents or appliances)

that the insurance doesn't go up the following year is this right?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments
did you really need to post another question when 3 people in your original thread stated their premiums hadnt risen after a claim????????????????

Your original point was also different in that you stated 'No matter who you're with if you've made claims the following year your premium always goes up'
Edited by: "chocci" 27th Mar
No, according to circumstances, even if it wasn't your fault (car accident etc) then your insurance premium can still go up (no claims bonus etc)
31 Comments
No, according to circumstances, even if it wasn't your fault (car accident etc) then your insurance premium can still go up (no claims bonus etc)
did you really need to post another question when 3 people in your original thread stated their premiums hadnt risen after a claim????????????????

Your original point was also different in that you stated 'No matter who you're with if you've made claims the following year your premium always goes up'
Yep, your premium will go up.
Original Poster
chocci1 h, 0 m ago

did you really need to post another question when 3 people in your …did you really need to post another question when 3 people in your original thread stated their premiums hadnt risen after a claim????????????????Your original point was also different in that you stated 'No matter who you're with if you've made claims the following year your premium always goes up'

guy above you says it can go up so which is it?
machomansavage6 m ago

guy above you says it can go up so which is it?

guy above is wrong as 3 people have already stated in your original thread that theirs didnt go up after claims. It CAN go up; not WILL. I have claimed four times on my home insurance and premiums are lower than they have ever been (as I already said in the original thread - you see why its stupid to create another thread??????????????????????????????????????????????????)

Car Insurance is irrelevant to this thread
There's been reported cases where even a general enquiry about your policy when you call through & logged on your account even if your not making a claim can & could raise your premium the following year. Everything gets logged down on your account. Insurance is about risk assessment.
veedubjai55 s ago

There's been reported cases where even a general enquiry about your policy …There's been reported cases where even a general enquiry about your policy when you call through & logged on your account even if your not making a claim can & could raise your premium the following year. Everything gets logged down on your account. Insurance is about risk assessment.

for home insurance? I doubt that very much.
chocci10 m ago

for home insurance? I doubt that very much.

Home insurance is not 100% compulsory by Law hence premiums could stay the same or around the following year as the amount of claims compare to car are much lower + very rare that it affects 3rd parties. Never made a claim on home insurance but don't think for one moment that insurance companies are doing you a favour as they are there to make profit & change the T&C on your policy or how they go about the process of making a claim. Car insurance is another matter that is compulsory by Law & the minimum you can buy is 3rd party.

As I said before, everything gets logged down on your account if you make an enquiry but doesn't stop them on how they run their business so always read the small print if your concern what meets your needs.
my premium has always increased after a claim for buildings insurance. for home contents the premium did increase but only by a small amount. for car insurance, oddly enough only by a small increase, much smaller than i would expect from what other people have experienced. i put it down to us having no claims bonus protection, but others have disagreed with this.
Original Poster
mutley153 m ago

my premium has always increased after a claim for buildings insurance. …my premium has always increased after a claim for buildings insurance. for home contents the premium did increase but only by a small amount. for car insurance, oddly enough only by a small increase, much smaller than i would expect from what other people have experienced. i put it down to us having no claims bonus protection, but others have disagreed with this.

Thanks. What insurance would I need for just a tv? Contents. Gadget or appliance insurance?
machomansavage26 m ago

Thanks. What insurance would I need for just a tv? Contents. Gadget or …Thanks. What insurance would I need for just a tv? Contents. Gadget or appliance insurance?

for just the tv, i think it would be a bit OTT to go for contents insurance. contents insurance covers all personal possessions within your home. i would guess gadget insurance is good enough for a TV.

my mum got burgled twice but in neither case did the thief take the tv, which was very expensive but too big for them to bother taking. they took smaller stuff like jewellery, sound mixer and DVD player. things that they can carry with them without anyone paying much attention.
Original Poster
mutley117 m ago

for just the tv, i think it would be a bit OTT to go for contents …for just the tv, i think it would be a bit OTT to go for contents insurance. contents insurance covers all personal possessions within your home. i would guess gadget insurance is good enough for a TV.my mum got burgled twice but in neither case did the thief take the tv, which was very expensive but too big for them to bother taking. they took smaller stuff like jewellery, sound mixer and DVD player. things that they can carry with them without anyone paying much attention.

Omg that's awful! Did the buggers ever get found? Poor mum! Yeah I'll have a look into that thanks.
What do you want to insure it for? Accidental damage? Theft? The warranty/guarantee should cover for mechanical failure.
Original Poster
Beebee182 m ago

What do you want to insure it for? Accidental damage? Theft? The …What do you want to insure it for? Accidental damage? Theft? The warranty/guarantee should cover for mechanical failure.

Accidental damage
machomansavage49 m ago

Omg that's awful! Did the buggers ever get found? Poor mum! Yeah I'll have …Omg that's awful! Did the buggers ever get found? Poor mum! Yeah I'll have a look into that thanks.

in london the police don't much care about burglaries as there are so blooming many! my mum was advised by the police to look in local pawn brokers to see if the jewellery get displayed and that was the best that they could do

they did take finger prints but we never heard anything after that. the thieves normally target people who throw their boxes out for collection as they know that you have just bought something new. after stealing your stuff they will wait to see if you replace the items and break in again. we made sure that the boxes were no longer left outside the house again.
They always do regardless
Original Poster
So many conflicting answers here
Car insurance, yes it will go up regardless of fault.

Home insurance, not likely but it depends on the company. It’s not a legally required cover so they’re fighting for business.
machomansavage10 h, 50 m ago

So many conflicting answers here

Above is the crux of any discussion on a forum about insurance. Everyone will have a different set of criteria by which a premium is calculated, So my experience will very unlikely mirror anyone elses exactly.
airbus3308 m ago

Above is the crux of any discussion on a forum about insurance. Everyone …Above is the crux of any discussion on a forum about insurance. Everyone will have a different set of criteria by which a premium is calculated, So my experience will very unlikely mirror anyone elses exactly.

Same
Original Poster
airbus33028th Mar

Above is the crux of any discussion on a forum about insurance. Everyone …Above is the crux of any discussion on a forum about insurance. Everyone will have a different set of criteria by which a premium is calculated, So my experience will very unlikely mirror anyone elses exactly.

Hi sorry for late reply. If you make a claim and your premium does go up. Surely you'd ship around the following year so this wouldn't affect you?
machomansavage58 m ago

Hi sorry for late reply. If you make a claim and your premium does go up. …Hi sorry for late reply. If you make a claim and your premium does go up. Surely you'd ship around the following year so this wouldn't affect you?

when you get an insurance quote, you will be asked if you have made a claim within the last 3 years (or 5 years for some insurers) and if you have, they will ask you to disclose details of the claim, including the value of the claim. if you have made a claim then the insurance quote will be more so you can't really just move from one insurer to another to avoid the increase in premium.
Original Poster
mutley110 m ago

when you get an insurance quote, you will be asked if you have made a …when you get an insurance quote, you will be asked if you have made a claim within the last 3 years (or 5 years for some insurers) and if you have, they will ask you to disclose details of the claim, including the value of the claim. if you have made a claim then the insurance quote will be more so you can't really just move from one insurer to another to avoid the increase in premium.

But what if you haven't had insurance before? Or say you haven't made a claim? How would they even check? So my insurance will be/stay the same for the one I've taken out today? And if ever I made a claim on it, it would go up the following month?
machomansavage5 m ago

But what if you haven't had insurance before? Or say you haven't made a …But what if you haven't had insurance before? Or say you haven't made a claim? How would they even check? So my insurance will be/stay the same for the one I've taken out today? And if ever I made a claim on it, it would go up the following month?

your premium stays the same until the next renewal, which is 12 months from the start date, irrespective of whether you have made a claim or not. the premium gets reviewed at each renewal. that is when they take into account any claims you have made over the last year.

if you have not had insurance before then you have not made any claim. all claims are logged in a central database which insurers can access to verify if someone has made a claim or not to prevent fraud and for them to use as statistics.
Original Poster
mutley14 m ago

your premium stays the same until the next renewal, which is 12 months …your premium stays the same until the next renewal, which is 12 months from the start date, irrespective of whether you have made a claim or not. the premium gets reviewed at each renewal. that is when they take into account any claims you have made over the last year.if you have not had insurance before then you have not made any claim. all claims are logged in a central database which insurers can access to verify if someone has made a claim or not to prevent fraud and for them to use as statistics.

Thanks mutely but by the following year you could move away from that particular insurer anyway so I still don't understand
machomansavage9 m ago

Thanks mutely but by the following year you could move away from that …Thanks mutely but by the following year you could move away from that particular insurer anyway so I still don't understand

if you made a claim during the year, then the following year you move away from that insurer, you need to get a quote from the new insurer. who will ask if you have made a claim in your previous insurance policy. the answer will be yes, so this will increase the quote that he gives you to come to him.
Original Poster
mutley12 m ago

if you made a claim during the year, then the following year you move away …if you made a claim during the year, then the following year you move away from that insurer, you need to get a quote from the new insurer. who will ask if you have made a claim in your previous insurance policy. the answer will be yes, so this will increase the quote that he gives you to come to him.

Thanks lol bet you're thinking "Christ what planet this guy on?"
machomansavage7 m ago

Thanks lol bet you're thinking "Christ what planet this guy on?"

if you have never come across something before it can be confusing, so i guess this is just the first time that you have taken out insurance
Original Poster
chocci48 m ago

I am

Oh u
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants