Dog advice please. Think my Labrador is dying after catching the cold

Found 18th Oct 2017
Hi my mums Labrador has had a bad cough for around 8 weeks now. Dog has been taken to the vet several times for injections, steroids, cough bottle, antibiotics etc to clear the mucus. Dog was coughing the other day and a small amount of blood was present. The vet advised that it could be normal as the dog has been coughing so much. Now around 3-4 weeks ago my mum raised concerns with the vet as this was a pro longed cough. Sounded like a hoarse throat like the dog was trying to cough something up, like a hair ball. Dog seemed to do this more when getting up and moving around. None of the medication worked. Dog was otherwise heathy, eating drinking and going out for walks. The vet said, don’t worry the cough won’t kill your dog. Now the dog has deteriorated, still coughing, some quick breathing and not getting on his feet much. The dog has not ate for 3 days although it still manages to get up and have a drink of water. I really think the dog is going to die. I asked the vet why he said the dog wouldn’t die and now it looks like it’s going that way and he told me it’s because the mucus cough/cold can take a lot out of the dog and make the dog feel really down but to give it a few days as the dog may perk up. Is there anything else that can be done? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Yeah take it to a different vet, the one i take my dog to would never dismiss a dog so easily if it was not eating for 3 days (especially a labrador!)

It's not right that it has been coughing for so long, something is wrong with it and it sounds as if the vet either doesn't know or can't be bothered.

Any blood samples or anything been done? Could have some sort of illness that a blood sample could pick up on.

It started off sounding like kennel cough as that's just an annoying hoarse cough but that should have cleared up ages ago.
Edited by: "winifer" 18th Oct 2017
@mutley1 can you help on this one at all
I'd take him urgently to a different vet and request a chest x-ray. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Change vets, yours appears to be more interested in how much he can charge you.
st8mike16 m ago

Change vets, yours appears to be more interested in how much he can charge …Change vets, yours appears to be more interested in how much he can charge you.

If he was only truly interested in charging, surely he would be doing lots of x-rays and blood test etc and charging through the roof, by doing little he doesn't sound money orientated
Just phone a different vet and have a chat, nobody can give you a diagnosis on here, even something harmless can make a dog seem very ill.
Is it kennel cough, they just cough and cough, it is so painful to listen to.
Toptrumpet6 h, 42 m ago

@mutley1 can you help on this one at all

I know very little about dogs except that we have a dog. If the dog is sick and the OP is not satisfied with the vet, then ask for a referral to a hospital to see a consultant. Our vet said our last dog had arthritis when he had cancer! Vets can be as useless as GPs in not diagnosing the issue.

When we took the dog to the hospital, the consultant knew straightaway that he had cancer but it costs about £400 for a 30 minutes consultation and £1,500 for an MRI scan so it is not cheap. Whereas the vet charges £30 for a 20 minutes consultation so you can see the difference in cost and hence knowledge.
I'm really sorry to hear this, but as others have said take him to a different vet ASAP and get xrays done ASAP.

In our case my lab was coughing for weeks then slowly deteriorated where he was really struggling to walk and would hardly move, it turned out to be a cancerous growth in his front leg that had spread. I really hope that this isnt the case for your dog and it is something treatable.
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your advice. Unfortunately my mums dog had to be put down during the night. His situation deteriorated during the night and the vet took him for a couple of x rays and it turns out he had a large cancerous tumour in his chest. Very sad
christopherguy253 h, 50 m ago

Thanks everyone for your advice. Unfortunately my mums dog had to be put …Thanks everyone for your advice. Unfortunately my mums dog had to be put down during the night. His situation deteriorated during the night and the vet took him for a couple of x rays and it turns out he had a large cancerous tumour in his chest. Very sad

so sorry to hear that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants