Dog flap security

Found 6th Jul
We are moving into a new property where we plan to convert a window to a door which will access the back garden.

We are considering putting in a dog flap in the door itself or to make a wall opening and put the dog flap into the wall itself.

Anyone with any thoughts that they would like to share on the two options? My inclination is to put the flap into the new door.

We also need to consider security as although we can shut the dog flap, it is by no means secure. There is a risk that someone could get access to our house through the dog flap as it is bigger than a cat flap so a small child could get in to open the doors for the others.

Just mulling over the issues and wonder if there are things that we should consider or can be done to help with security.
Community Updates
AskPet
18 Comments
Safer and easier to have a proper door and just open it when the pooch wants in or out.
st8mike7 m ago

Safer and easier to have a proper door and just open it when the pooch …Safer and easier to have a proper door and just open it when the pooch wants in or out.

it is certainly safer but our blooming pooch keeps going in and out and expects us to wait on him like a door porter!

also when we are out for half the day, we want him to get access to the garden but still be in the house. at our current home, we have a conservatory so we leave him in the conservatory and close the inner conservatory door. we don't have this arrangement at the new home.
Whether it's in your door or wall there is always going to be a security issue if a small child could fit in it. Make sure you've got CCTV if you're going to insist on a dog flap.
Get a smaller dog!
Only joking, could you not teach your dog to limbo, thus enabling him/her to fit through a much smaller door?
Safer to have a dog run in the garden
Ask your Husband what he thinks is best. Your dog must be really hot if its locked in the conservatory in this weather.
Dog flap would be about the same size as your average half starved smack head. Having one fitted will also give a insurance company the opportunity to not pay out should there be a claim. So I wouldnt bother.
DKLS1 h, 48 m ago

Dog flap would be about the same size as your average half starved smack …Dog flap would be about the same size as your average half starved smack head. Having one fitted will also give a insurance company the opportunity to not pay out should there be a claim. So I wouldnt bother.

Good point. We won't be getting contents insurance so not an issue for that, but we will get buildings insurance so a good point. Thanks.
webtrawler1 h, 53 m ago

Ask your Husband what he thinks is best. Your dog must be really hot if …Ask your Husband what he thinks is best. Your dog must be really hot if its locked in the conservatory in this weather.

He is the one that wants the dog flap but I said I will have a mull over it. Hence this post

The conservatory is open to the garden so he can go into the garden. He is not locked in the conservatory. In the winter, the conservatory serves as shelter for him as we leave the heating on in the conservatory, still with access to the garden.
Just leave the mutt outside where it belongs! Don't understand why people think dogs are house pets!
mutley114 m ago

Good point. We won't be getting contents insurance so not an issue for …Good point. We won't be getting contents insurance so not an issue for that, but we will get buildings insurance so a good point. Thanks.

No contents insurance and it’s your new home. That is either penny pinching to the extreme or exceedingly reckless.
In this day and age I be just as worried about the dog getting stolen whilst in the garden.
I'd be surprised if you can't get a solid locking automatic dog flap which works by a RFID on the collar.
I mean someone would still be able to nick the collar and climb through, but less then just kicking it.
Wouldn't be cheap mind you.
My parents have a dog flap. I can, and have, got into the house through it.
Install the dog flap, get some cameras up around the outside of the house and don’t leave keys in the door, lock the doors and take the keys with you.

A good alarm with pet friendly PIR’s will ensure if any kids do get in that it will go off.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 6th Jul
My dad installed a dog flap for a customer many years ago when he was carpenter/handyman, he told me it was ridiculous, big unsightly and anyone could get through, but customer wanted it installed anyway.

Would be better to build a dog house or have a shed, or install a door / flap on the garage if you have one, for the dog to go in.

If you do install a dog flap, I'd suggest fitting an internal security door of some sort to stop people crawling through the flap accessing the rest of the house, CCTV cameras and an alarm on the flap in case anyone kicks it in when you are asleep.
Edited by: "melted" 6th Jul
34288963-BbCTr.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants