Dog Food Allergy Test

Found 19th Jul
My poor dog keeps on getting a bad bumhole and has been to the vets 4 times with a swollen/infected anal gland.
Someone has suggested getting an allergy test done to see if he's allergic to specific foods.
I know that allergy tests in humans aren't necessarily accurate and was wondering if anyone on HUKD has had one done.
I don't really want to spend £85 if the test is basically useless.
Thanks for any replies.
Community Updates
AskHealth CarePet
13 Comments
Some dogs are prone to this. what breed? Has the vet shown you how to empty them? It isn't difficult just a bit unpleasant.
mas9950 m ago

Some dogs are prone to this. what breed? Has the vet shown you how to …Some dogs are prone to this. what breed? Has the vet shown you how to empty them? It isn't difficult just a bit unpleasant.

He's a 3 year old Jack.
Vet hasn't shown me how to do it because they have broken before we took him. He's on antibiotics and pain killers atm, but his ring looks very swollen with him.
It doesn't seem to be bothering him too much though, but he's licking it every so often.
He's got another couple of days of the antibiotics to go, and if he's still poorly 2 days after the course has finished, I'm gonna have to take him back.
Our dog had similar problems on a pretty regular basis, resulting in scar tissue which makes the glands harder to empty too. We did some research and switched her food, she's been on Skinners Duck and rice for years and not had any problems. To be honest we had doubts at first, mainly because it's so much cheaper than other brands, but she's now eleven and thriving. We now alternate between the duck + rice and Skinners senior and she's still fine.
I believe if need be the anal glands can be removed. if it is a constant problem then surely this should be considered.
Just read your last post - ours is a Jack Russell too. I can't recommend Skinners highly enough, I think it has a higher fibre content, it's certainly solved her problem.
I believe they do recommend a high fibre food for this condition. I don't think it would be an allergy issue. I assume you've got a follow up with the vet, I'd ask them what they suggest. My dog is on one of those plans whereby you pay a certain amount each month and it covers flea and worm treatment etc. It also covers emptying anal glands if necessary. I would pay a king's ramsome for that. Foul job.
High fibre diet. DYOR. Vets make money out of this so the advice you get may be tainted. Talk to a food manufacturer (not importer)
chimp14uk32 m ago

Unfortunately, there's no one local that does Skinner's dog food. I was …Unfortunately, there's no one local that does Skinner's dog food. I was wondering if this one would be any good as an alternative ......tails.com/lp/fibre-dog-food?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UK_Generic-Type+of+food-High+Fibre_High+Fibre_Exact_%2Bhigh+%2Bfibre+%2Bdog+%2Bfood&gclid=CjwKCAjw7cDaBRBtEiwAsxprXZfKNS5p3mtHlGVvdInhx3osFzJIo5vuoge3n1IBa8bPI1aTg4zUrRoC4vMQAvD_BwE&utm_campaign=UK_Generic-Type+of+food-High+Fibre_High+Fibre_Exact_%2Bhigh+%2Bfibre+%2Bdog+%2Bfood&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

That's still only 2% fibre, have a look online at monster pet supplies. www..monsterpetsupplies.co.uk/dog…ood To give you some idea of cost our JRT has around 110gm per day, so this size lasts about 3 weeks, but there are larger packs available. If you check the ingredient list it gives the duck+ rice at 3.5% fibre, each variety differs in fibre content so it may be worth checking each one. Skinners is also available on Amazon.
I feed my boy protexin profibre fior this and it works well.

Fed in conjunction with a grain free, hypoalergenic food has really helped him.

amazon.co.uk/Pro…5MA

Amazon also sell skinners, but if he's having allergies I can't recommend removing all cereal and grain from the diet enough.
Edited by: "Wotan" 19th Jul
Tell me what food are you feeding your dog, what's the breed and age
Norseg20th Jul

Tell me what food are you feeding your dog, what's the breed and age

Thanks for your comment and sorry for the late reply.
He's a 3 year old Jack primarily on Pedigree gravy sachets and some biscuits.
We've tried all sorts of food including the 100% meat ones, hypoallergenic biscuits and all-sorts, but nothing seems to help.
He's just been back to the vet who said that diet isn't a factor. The vet has given him antiinflammatories because his bumhole is still swollen. His abscess hasn't healed properly and if he doesn't improve after the next course of medication, they're going to look into it further.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.
chimp14uk53 m ago

Thanks for your comment and sorry for the late reply.He's a 3 year old …Thanks for your comment and sorry for the late reply.He's a 3 year old Jack primarily on Pedigree gravy sachets and some biscuits.We've tried all sorts of food including the 100% meat ones, hypoallergenic biscuits and all-sorts, but nothing seems to help.He's just been back to the vet who said that diet isn't a factor. The vet has given him antiinflammatories because his bumhole is still swollen. His abscess hasn't healed properly and if he doesn't improve after the next course of medication, they're going to look into it further.Thanks to everyone for your advice.

How often do you wash his bedding? What's the material? I don't know if this happens with dogs but I know some people have allergies from certain material
Edited by: "Norseg" 23rd Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants