Groups

Dog insurance - which is the best policy ?

We are looking to get dog insurance and everyone seems to be recommending "petplan", does any one have any experience of claiming with them, are there any discount codes apart from Quidco cash back and are there any insurance co's that offer similar policies ie not limited to an amount per condition ?

Thank you in advance and suitable rep will be left !!

42 Comments

I have always used Sainsburys Pet Insurance. We have 5 cats and the policies are really good. Don't know about dogs but its worth a look. Got £40 per policy back through Quidco too.

hi i can tell you petplan is the best they dont mess around and usually get a cheque to you within 24 hours but they are expensive for instance my 17 month old newfoundland would cost £64 per month so i have got a lifetime cover with [url]www.pet-insurance.co.uk[/url] for £15 per month thats a massive difference but i am not sure how quick they would pay out.

why bother, i doubt your dog will get that ill, even if he does you can have them put down humanly.

alot of money wasted imo, esp in this climate

Original Poster

greyparrot;6589732

hi i can tell you petplan is the best they dont mess around and usually … hi i can tell you petplan is the best they dont mess around and usually get a cheque to you within 24 hours but they are expensive for instance my 17 month old newfoundland would cost £64 per month so i have got a lifetime cover with [url]www.pet-insurance.co.uk[/url] for £15 per month thats a massive difference but i am not sure how quick they would pay out.

Wow, that is a big difference, the pet plan is working out more than private medical quotes for humans !!

black gerbil1;6589746

why bother, i doubt your dog will get that ill, even if he does you can … why bother, i doubt your dog will get that ill, even if he does you can have them put down humanly. alot of money wasted imo, esp in this climate

dont be an idiot for once.

Original Poster

black gerbil1;6589746

why bother, i doubt your dog will get that ill, even if he does you can … why bother, i doubt your dog will get that ill, even if he does you can have them put down humanly. alot of money wasted imo, esp in this climate

Probably right, but I would be interested in peoples views of policies out there as we are looking to insure them, thanks for the view though

black gerbil1;6589746

We had one cat that got hit with a car, he was only 8 months old and his leg was fixable but actually cost £1100 (the insurance paid). Are you saying he should have been put down :x

Also our Kitten climbed the curtains, fell off and broke her leg at 10 weeks old, the vet fees were nearly £350. Should she have been put to sleep over a broken leg?

I'm guessing you don't have pets :x

james02;6589766

Wow, that is a big difference, the pet plan is working out more than … Wow, that is a big difference, the pet plan is working out more than private medical quotes for humans !!

i know thats why they are very good because they charge so much, the one i took out is good they will pay £4000 on vets fees per year and because its lifetime say my dog gets a heart problem they will keep paying out for the condition for her lifetime where as alot of others wont so its worth it as you never know if its going to happen and if it does and they have paid out for that condition once then if the dog gets the same problem again it will cost you probably thousands.

Banned

I´ll shoot yer dog for a quid thereby saving you on average 42 quid a year for the next 14 years.

KazzyD;6589806

We had one cat that got hit with a car, he was only 8 months old and his … We had one cat that got hit with a car, he was only 8 months old and his leg was fixable but actually cost £1100 (the insurance paid). Are you saying he should have been put down :xAlso our Kitten climbed the curtains, fell off and broke her leg at 10 weeks old, the vet fees were nearly £350. Should she have been put to sleep over a broken leg?I'm guessing you don't have pets :x

ignore him he is a bum.

toshapetriji;6589832

I´ll shoot yer dog for a quid thereby saving you on average 42 quid a … I´ll shoot yer dog for a quid thereby saving you on average 42 quid a year for the next 14 years.

get out of the thread they want advice on pet insurance your comments are not welcome.

black gerbil1;6589746

Go away you silly ******

Insurance is a responsible pet owner requirement, unless your home insurance covers you and most don't, if your dog runs out in the road and causes a car accident the cover will cover you for all the costs rather than you being sued, Argos was the cheapest for us we went for life cover which means you can claim for the life of the dog on the same condition most will only cover you for the condition for 12 months, at first we tried to get just liability insurance but its not out there cheap so you may aswel go for the complete cover

KazzyD;6589806

We had one cat that got hit with a car, he was only 8 months old and his … We had one cat that got hit with a car, he was only 8 months old and his leg was fixable but actually cost £1100 (the insurance paid). Are you saying he should have been put down :xAlso our Kitten climbed the curtains, fell off and broke her leg at 10 weeks old, the vet fees were nearly £350. Should she have been put to sleep over a broken leg?I'm guessing you don't have pets :x

I have had pets in the past, and they cost ALOT of money, i have enough thankfully. But with the current climate in the UK, I am saying that IMO its a waste of money to have pet insurance. Chances are if your good owner, you will make sure your dog is safe and doesnt get into accidents like getting hit by a car, go for checks to the vet every year to make sure nothing is majorly wrong with the dog.

as to your question, if someone did not have the insurance should the cat that got hit with a car be put down, yes.

I dont know how much money the op has got, but im just giving him/her an option. :thumbsup:

To the Op, we found Petplan to be very expensive. Its worth looking at the supermarkets for insurance because they often offer different levels of insurance, so if you are looking at an unlimited condition amount you are probably looking at the top level insurance.

We found Sainsburys usually pay within 14 days, BUT you have to pay the vet bill first and claim the money back.

we use petprotect at about £13 a month i think for a medium sized terrier.
    we got it after our last dog got run over, some very very expensive bills.
    i think you can end up in a lot of bother if the dog causes damage or injury, which is insured.
    also look at how long they will pay for a long term illness.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

greyparrot;6589825

i know thats why they are very good because they charge so much, the one … i know thats why they are very good because they charge so much, the one i took out is good they will pay £4000 on vets fees per year and because its lifetime say my dog gets a heart problem they will keep paying out for the condition for her lifetime where as alot of others wont so its worth it as you never know if its going to happen and if it does and they have paid out for that condition once then if the dog gets the same problem again it will cost you probably thousands.

Do they not limit it to £4000 per condition, ie if they have a heart problem, need treatment that comes to £4000, what happens if the condition re occurs next time ?

black gerbil1;6589857

I have had pets in the past, and they cost ALOT of money, i have enough … I have had pets in the past, and they cost ALOT of money, i have enough thankfully. But with the current climate in the UK, I am saying that IMO its a waste of money to have pet insurance. Chances are if your good owner, you will make sure your dog is safe and doesnt get into accidents like getting hit by a car, go for checks to the vet every year to make sure nothing is majorly wrong with the dog.as to your question, if someone did not have the insurance should the cat that got hit with a car be put down, yes.I dont know how much money the op has got, but im just giving him/her an option. :thumbsup:

its nothing to do with how you care for your pet, i once had a dog that got gastric torsion and underwent a operation that bill was £2,500 within hours and yes he still died but we care for our pets.

black gerbil1;6589746

Thats rich coming from someone who calls himself BLACK GERBIL :w00t:

Banned

get out of the thread they want advice on pet insurance your comments are … get out of the thread they want advice on pet insurance your comments are not welcome.

Please don´t tell me you are insulting someone with low intellect.

james02;6589892

Do they not limit it to £4000 per condition, ie if they have a heart … Do they not limit it to £4000 per condition, ie if they have a heart problem, need treatment that comes to £4000, what happens if the condition re occurs next time ?

its per a 28 day policy so they will pay £4,000 per policy period which is really good as alot of policy periods are over 12 months.:thumbsup:

yeah sorry my mistake i just realised i put £4,000 per year its not it is definately every 28 days.

Original Poster

black gerbil1;6589857

I have had pets in the past, and they cost ALOT of money, i have enough … I have had pets in the past, and they cost ALOT of money, i have enough thankfully. But with the current climate in the UK, I am saying that IMO its a waste of money to have pet insurance. Chances are if your good owner, you will make sure your dog is safe and doesnt get into accidents like getting hit by a car, go for checks to the vet every year to make sure nothing is majorly wrong with the dog.as to your question, if someone did not have the insurance should the cat that got hit with a car be put down, yes.I dont know how much money the op has got, but im just giving him/her an option. :thumbsup:

A lot of the pedigree breeds though are prone to heart/other inherent issues, therefore it would be prudent and responsible to insure against potential liabilities in a similar way you would do house insurance ! If you buy the dog, you should be responsible about insuring it.

my parents had doggie insurance with Tesco's and were paying about £17 a month to cover the £220 cost of the dog. when she was ran over though becuase they didnt have the resipt they would only give them £70! bearing in mind the dog was nearly 8 it was a bit off to expect them to still have the reciept and theyd been paying the coverage for £220!! - avoid!!

Original Poster

KazzyD;6589865

To the Op, we found Petplan to be very expensive. Its worth looking at … To the Op, we found Petplan to be very expensive. Its worth looking at the supermarkets for insurance because they often offer different levels of insurance, so if you are looking at an unlimited condition amount you are probably looking at the top level insurance.We found Sainsburys usually pay within 14 days, BUT you have to pay the vet bill first and claim the money back.

Thanks - they do seem to offer one of the best policies based on benefits don't they

greyparrot;6589903

its nothing to do with how you care for your pet, i once had a dog that … its nothing to do with how you care for your pet, i once had a dog that got gastric torsion and underwent a operation that bill was £2,500 within hours and yes he still died but we care for our pets.

im sorry to here about that, but usually 90% of the time its the owners fault, from my experience.
    james02;6589954

A lot of the pedigree breeds though are prone to heart/other inherent … A lot of the pedigree breeds though are prone to heart/other inherent issues, therefore it would be prudent and responsible to insure against potential liabilities in a similar way you would do house insurance ! If you buy the dog, you should be responsible about insuring it.

yeah very good point there, I think thats were I failed, I didn't really care for them too much, just because I was so busy with other stuff. in the end I had to put down 2 dogs :-(

james02;6589954

A lot of the pedigree breeds though are prone to heart/other inherent … A lot of the pedigree breeds though are prone to heart/other inherent issues, therefore it would be prudent and responsible to insure against potential liabilities in a similar way you would do house insurance ! If you buy the dog, you should be responsible about insuring it.

Don't rise to it :thumbsup: This is the same person that has started threads about buying a dog to raise and eat, and asking how to kill a gerbil for having a poorly leg. The threads and comments are just made to provoke reactions from people that care about animal welfare

xena_morph;6589956

my parents had doggie insurance with Tesco's and were paying about £17 a … my parents had doggie insurance with Tesco's and were paying about £17 a month to cover the £220 cost of the dog. when she was ran over though becuase they didnt have the resipt they would only give them £70! bearing in mind the dog was nearly 8 it was a bit off to expect them to still have the reciept and theyd been paying the coverage for £220!! - avoid!!

Yes I have heard Tescos are not the best

Try ARGOS they wrere the cheapest and best level for us Labradoodle £12 month top cover (for Life)

james02 what breed of dog do you have?

My rotty passed away last year in december, she had lymohoma and her medical bill ran up to about £8000. I was insured with petplan luckly had unlimited insurance. Ive also been with virgin pet insurance and more than, all I can say is that don't bother woth these companies because when it comes to claiming, they become realy picky and akward..

Petplan paid up everytime and not a penny missing. It might be a bit more expensive but its defo worth it!

And dont listen to the idiots on here saying to put the animal down.. what a stupid suggestion! If you cannot afford to look after an animal properly than dont get one. Simples. I looked after my dog properly and she developed a lymphoma so im afraid some peoples logic in this thread has gone out of the window.

when my dog got run after escaping from a well fenced garden, it cost £1200 for life saving treatment, we still ended up putting him down, there were no injuries to driver or significant car damage or i would have had that to pay as well.
    like all insurance, its a waste of money until the worst case scenario happens.

Original Poster

greyparrot;6590062

james02 what breed of dog do you have?

Cavalier KC Spaniel

james02;6590164

Cavalier KC Spaniel

well all i can say is if you can afford petplan go for that unfortantly i cant as we are now on a low income so i just had to go for the best i can afford and hopefully if anything ever happened they would pay asap but truth is you never know till it comes to putting a claim in. but petplan are very well known for paying my mum used them years ago and they had a courier bring her cheque first thing the next morning.

Original Poster

greyparrot;6590253

well all i can say is if you can afford petplan go for that unfortantly i … well all i can say is if you can afford petplan go for that unfortantly i cant as we are now on a low income so i just had to go for the best i can afford and hopefully if anything ever happened they would pay asap but truth is you never know till it comes to putting a claim in. but petplan are very well known for paying my mum used them years ago and they had a courier bring her cheque first thing the next morning.

I can't really afford it either - Sainsburys looks to be the best option, I think the quote was about £14 per month compared to about £35 with petplan. Thanks for the post.

james02;6590313

I can't really afford it either - Sainsburys looks to be the best option, … I can't really afford it either - Sainsburys looks to be the best option, I think the quote was about £14 per month compared to about £35 with petplan. Thanks for the post.

yeah i have heard sainsburys are good, wasnt for me though coz of my breed of dog it didnt cover enough. but for your breed it would be fine.

[COLOR="Red"]Be very careful with pet insurance, make sure it covers for life not just 12 months, if you get an ongoing condition you will be screwed after 12 months.[/COLOR]

I have been with Halifax pet insurance for a few years, made a claim last month and had the cheque back within 8 days, service was excellent, they also cover for life and were half the price of Petplan who i was with before

Our dog is insured with Petplan, we took the policy out just before he was eight (which is the cutoff) as it looked like he was going to have serious vision problems which thankfully turned out to be a misdiagnosis. However it turned out it was good we took out the insurance, as it was something we hadn't considered before - last year he was diagnosed with kidney failure and the insurance has been very good for him, it means he can get extra tests and medication and the insurance covers it. Petplan always seem good at paying out although there have been a few times they seemed a bit questionable on costs, by deciding a condition is separate to one of his existing one they've charged another excess and they're yearly excess system can sometimes hit you hard.

I think the excess has now gone up again so overall it's not cheap but in the dog's current state he's on a lot of medication and vet visits (not because he's insured, he's getting worse as he progresses) but it's reassuring that the insurance is taking the bulk of the cost. I doubt our dog would still be alive otherwise.

John

Petplan are very good. Avoid E&L like the plague! They are nothing but a bunch of lying shysters!
    P.S. Don't feed the troll.

Original Poster

Goonieman;6593215

Petplan are very good. Avoid E&L like the plague! They are nothing but a … Petplan are very good. Avoid E&L like the plague! They are nothing but a bunch of lying shysters!P.S. Don't feed the troll.

E & L ?

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;6593119

Our dog is insured with Petplan, we took the policy out just before he … Our dog is insured with Petplan, we took the policy out just before he was eight (which is the cutoff) as it looked like he was going to have serious vision problems which thankfully turned out to be a misdiagnosis. However it turned out it was good we took out the insurance, as it was something we hadn't considered before - last year he was diagnosed with kidney failure and the insurance has been very good for him, it means he can get extra tests and medication and the insurance covers it. Petplan always seem good at paying out although there have been a few times they seemed a bit questionable on costs, by deciding a condition is separate to one of his existing one they've charged another excess and they're yearly excess system can sometimes hit you hard. I think the excess has now gone up again so overall it's not cheap but in the dog's current state he's on a lot of medication and vet visits (not because he's insured, he's getting worse as he progresses) but it's reassuring that the insurance is taking the bulk of the cost. I doubt our dog would still be alive otherwise.John

Thanks, that is really helpful and supports what most people have said. I think I will do the quote and if we can afford petplan we will go for this above the other ones ? Do they have a cut off, ie if you pay for years and then they say you can't insure the dog above their 8th year ?

james02;6594609

E & L ?

Yes (?)

Original Poster

Goonieman;6594638

Yes (?)

who are E and L
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheer me up please?1444
      2. Walker crisps78
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767537
      4. Heads-Up / Reminder - How to avoid using PayPal's own conversion rates :{33

See more discussions