Dog suddenly has large lump on back of neck?

Found 22nd Dec 2016
It just seemed to appear one day. His collar was put on earlier and there's a large lump (roughly 3-4cm diameter and 1cm thick, moveable and im pretty sure it wasn't there yesterday.) He's a 9 month old springer/lab. Any ideas what it might be?

He recently was castrated and on rimadyl if that's relevant. Other than that he's bolting around the house like an energetic puppy and is wolfing his food down so seems healthy enough.

I'll be taking him to the vets tomorrow but does it sound like something anyone has heard of.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
18 Comments

It could just be fat, my parents dog has a lump in the her centre stomach and vets said it was just fat but get it checked out just in case.
Edited by: "Danjw91" 22nd Dec 2016

Has he had a vaccination in the area recently? That can cause a short term lump.

My comment disappeared for some reason. My parents dog has the same, she has a lump in centre of her stomach and VET said it was just fat. Get it checked out if you're worried.

Mobile lumps are less of a worry than fixed ones.

we had the same thing months ago and feared the worst - The vets wanted to take a biopsy and then a second vet said it may be a bite / sting and prescribed some tablets - a few days later the lump went down and our dog is fine - Thank goodness

Danjw91

It could just be fat, my parents dog has a lump in the her centre stomach … It could just be fat, my parents dog has a lump in the her centre stomach and vets said it was just fat but get it checked out just in case.

Ours is the same, we were told it's a fatty umbilicus

Original Poster

Danjw91

My comment disappeared for some reason. My parents dog has the same, she … My comment disappeared for some reason. My parents dog has the same, she has a lump in centre of her stomach and VET said it was just fat. Get it checked out if you're worried.

I thinks it's always worth checking out something like that.
I suspected it'd be something like so it's reassuring to hear someone else say that.

We had a springer lab and he was beautiful. He had a lump on his eyelid which bled but that was benign. We have a labrador now and he has quite a few moles but again no dangerous signs even though two of them had to be removed as one continued to grow and one of them kept bleeding.

Hope your dog will be fine.

? cyst ? lipoma hard to say. My dog has a cyst the size of a golf ball on his back but he also has a serious heart condition so I will not be having it removed because its too risky for him. He has quite a few lumps and bumps and the vet said spaniels are prone to them. I always get the vet to look over them just to be sure. Hope he is ok when u go to see the vet.

Fatty lumps are very common but I'd still recommend a vet check up just to be sure. Try and do it before Christmas to avoid having the uncertainty over the weekend and break.

Try not to worry. My dog (Collie/Alsatian cross) has had a few lumps removed and biopsied, and all have turned out to be lipomas (fatty lumps).

I'm NOT a vet or vet nurse but personally I would think it very unlikely your puppy's lump is anything nasty. He's very young and the lump is mobile. Definitely get any lump checked out by a vet (to put his health first of course, but also to put your mind at ease if nothing else!) and my best advice is if you can possibly afford to, get him insured if he isn't already.

If you can move it under the skin it's probably fat or a cyst. The ones to worry about are hard/hot lumps.

Get it checked out for peace of mind during the day when it's cheaper

Original Poster

Thanks for all the answers guys. I'm now, not overly worried as most people seem to say it's a fatty lump. It just surprised at how quick it came up for its size.

I'll still take him down the vet just to make sure but you guys seem to have confirmed my suspicions.

Original Poster

BobMass

Has he had a vaccination in the area recently? That can cause a short … Has he had a vaccination in the area recently? That can cause a short term lump.

Not recebtly enough. Had them in september.

Original Poster

squiff

Try not to worry. My dog (Collie/Alsatian cross) has had a few lumps … Try not to worry. My dog (Collie/Alsatian cross) has had a few lumps removed and biopsied, and all have turned out to be lipomas (fatty lumps). I'm NOT a vet or vet nurse but personally I would think it very unlikely your puppy's lump is anything nasty. He's very young and the lump is mobile. Definitely get any lump checked out by a vet (to put his health first of course, but also to put your mind at ease if nothing else!) and my best advice is if you can possibly afford to, get him insured if he isn't already.

He is insured. It really is worth it. Our last dog would've cost thousands if he hadn't been insured. Figured a small amount every month is worth it for peace of mind.

Agaeti

He is insured. It really is worth it. Our last dog would've cost … He is insured. It really is worth it. Our last dog would've cost thousands if he hadn't been insured. Figured a small amount every month is worth it for peace of mind.

Excellent! I wish my dog was insured. They want over £60 a month to insure him - not because he's unwell or has a medical condition but because he's old at 12 and a half. Instead, I put money in a savings account every month in case he needs it. One of my rabbits is insured and her vets bill this week was over £1100 because she needed 8 days hospitalisation and a CT scan. You just never know. Good luck at the vets today and let us know what they say.

Original Poster

squiff

Excellent! I wish my dog was insured. They want over £60 a month to … Excellent! I wish my dog was insured. They want over £60 a month to insure him - not because he's unwell or has a medical condition but because he's old at 12 and a half. Instead, I put money in a savings account every month in case he needs it. One of my rabbits is insured and her vets bill this week was over £1100 because she needed 8 days hospitalisation and a CT scan. You just never know. Good luck at the vets today and let us know what they say.

Hey damn that's a lot. My last dogs insurance wasn't anywhere near that (he was 10 and had an embolism so the insurance was really helpful)

The vet says she thinks he's bumped his microchip and irritated it. I love that vets. Didn't even charge me like my last vets would've.

Agaeti

Hey damn that's a lot. My last dogs insurance wasn't anywhere near that … Hey damn that's a lot. My last dogs insurance wasn't anywhere near that (he was 10 and had an embolism so the insurance was really helpful) The vet says she thinks he's bumped his microchip and irritated it. I love that vets. Didn't even charge me like my last vets would've.

That's good news. Hopefully you, your family and your dog will be having a peaceful and stress-free Christmas
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18206624
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769188
    3. Mercedes-Benz recalls 400,000 cars in UK over airbag fault11
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread427214624

See more discussions