Dog vaccinations!

We are going for a weekend away the end of october, and our two year old dog Lucy is going to kennels for the first time.
the kennels require lucy to have kennel cough and upto date boosters.
Lucy had all the vaccinations and boosters as a puppy but did not have her yearly booster in 2006.
I have spoken to the vets this morning who said she needs to start over again and have another full course? instead of a booster?
I have read that dogs who are vaccinated yearly have problems with skin & ear complaints among other things.

please can anyone offer advice. Thanks Lisa:?

9 Comments

[SIZE=2]Hi Lisa.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]My dogs have their boosters kept upto date and have no problems. The vets also right about starting again and having a full course as it's been so long.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]You will need to have them all done and upto date though else the kennel won't take Lucy. [/SIZE]

Mines always had upto date vaccinations & is perfect

Original Poster

Thanks Syzable.

booked in Lucy for this evening to see the vet,

Lisa.

Original Poster

Cheers ChrisUK.

Banned

lisat

We are going for a weekend away the end of october, and our two year old … We are going for a weekend away the end of october, and our two year old dog Lucy is going to kennels for the first time.the kennels require lucy to have kennel cough and upto date boosters.Lucy had all the vaccinations and boosters as a puppy but did not have her yearly booster in 2006.I have spoken to the vets this morning who said she needs to start over again and have another full course? instead of a booster?I have read that dogs who are vaccinated yearly have problems with skin & ear complaints among other things.please can anyone offer advice. Thanks Lisa:?

mmmm well.. yes vaccinations are a need, but interestingly I had a chat with my vet a few years ago when my old chap ( cat) who now is even older .. 18 plus and he told me not to bother due to him being immune to most things having had all his injections etc since I had him at 8 weeks, yes I know we are talking about cats and more likley to get feline luk, flu etc but with having a very well respected vet the indication was sometimes and dependant on age, re starting a course instead of boosters is a bit of a money spinner, allegedly:whistling: but most kennels wont take dogs or cats unless your up todate with vaccinations

Syzable

[SIZE=2]Hi Lisa.[/SIZE][SIZE=2]My dogs have their boosters kept upto date … [SIZE=2]Hi Lisa.[/SIZE][SIZE=2]My dogs have their boosters kept upto date and have no problems. The vets also right about starting again and having a full course as it's been so long.[/SIZE][SIZE=2]You will need to have them all done and upto date though else the kennel won't take Lucy. [/SIZE]

Our dog has been kept up to date and has no problems - our vet done/does a deal where you pay once and receive free annual vacinations for the life of the pet - may be worth seeing if your vet or one close by does a similar deal.

I have just made a claim on my dogs pet insurance. On the claim form the vet had to confirm i have kept my dogs vaccinations up to date!

Sorry posted too late,

My dog has only ever had the first set of vaccinations, the breeders, who have bred for 3 generations, do not believe in boosters. I have read some of the literature, heavy going, and was told to read "What Vets Don't Tell You About Vaccines" Catherine O'Driscoll. I am no expert so wouldn't advise either way, best to read literature and make own decision.

Along with the no vaccinations theory I also follow the BARFs diet for my dog.

We have a kennel nearby that does not insist on the kennel cough vacc.

The fact that I do not vaccinate, has not affected my insurance claims, I did see this however on my form so no idea what vet entered.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice, I took lucy to the vets and had the kennel cough and started a course of vaccinations again, the vet said she should be kept upto date, because you don't know how long the vaccinations can last for? which makes me think why do they need them yearly, if theres no way of knowing the immunity?

anyway it's done now, but it has made me think!
many thanks
Lisa
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Better watch out for these...912
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763956
    3. so sick of this summer weather enough .......1930
    4. GOT Leaks again514

See more discussions