Dolby Atmos

Posted 28th Feb
looking to get a sound bar for some true Dolby Atmos from BT sport ultimate and Netflix through my Samsung TV and v6 box

was looking at the Samsung Harman Kardon 5.1ch HW-Q60R Cinematic Soundbar
budget is £400

maybe get some wireless speakers to go with the bar

what's with the Logitech Z906 setup? does it have Dolby Atmos as this is only £160 for full kit

any other recommendations?
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
The soundbar is much nearer kit as you won't have wires running everywhere. The sub connects wirelessly .
If you want genuine Dolby sound from a soundbar than only the top end soundbar system can do this.
The Samsung k950, n950, Q90R are all excellent. They have upward firing speakers to produce a genuine Dolby affect.
Lots of people were given free soundbars with TVs .
So worthwhile looking through eBay or gumtree.
I just sold a near new Q70R soundbar for £390.
adamderak28/02/2020 09:09

The soundbar is much nearer kit as you won't have wires running …The soundbar is much nearer kit as you won't have wires running everywhere. The sub connects wirelessly .If you want genuine Dolby sound from a soundbar than only the top end soundbar system can do this.The Samsung k950, n950, Q90R are all excellent. They have upward firing speakers to produce a genuine Dolby affect.Lots of people were given free soundbars with TVs .So worthwhile looking through eBay or gumtree.I just sold a near new Q70R soundbar for £390.

I'd be spending more on my sound bar than my TV if I get one of them you mentioned above as much as I'd love to buy one of them it's just not worth the ear ache from the wife

Is the Q70R you sold about £700 brand new?
How come you sold it? Which model starts with the upward facing speakers ? The Q70R
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 28th Feb
IIRC Dolby Atmos is an extra layer adding some height information to a TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack. So for the 'true experience' you're looking at speakers above and below you.
efc_4ever28/02/2020 09:28

I'd be spending more on my sound bar than my TV if I get one of them you …I'd be spending more on my sound bar than my TV if I get one of them you mentioned above as much as I'd love to buy one of them it's just not worth the ear ache from the wife Is the Q70R you sold about £700 brand new?How come you sold it? Which model starts with the upward facing speakers ? The Q70R

Think the q80r and Q90R Soundbar are identical. The Q90R has rear surround speakers with front and upward firing speakers
The n950 is last year's model but is worth buying as it's very similar.
EndlessWaves28/02/2020 09:42

IIRC Dolby Atmos is an extra layer adding some height information to a …IIRC Dolby Atmos is an extra layer adding some height information to a TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack. So for the 'true experience' you're looking at speakers above and below you.

You don't need speakers above you but upward firing speakers.
spruceyb28/02/2020 10:16

You don't need speakers above you but upward firing speakers.

How about the Q70R at £700. Has upward firing speakers and brilliant reviews. I'm not going above that budget

I want the Q90 but it's just not happening
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 28th Feb
I sold it has I managed to pick up a set of surround speakers and sub from the k950 for £100.
Just need to buy a compatible soundbar and will have a very cheap top end Dolby system.
Try buying the surround in the package has to buy them on Thier own the prices are extortioniate. Also speaker compatibility is a mine field
efc_4ever28/02/2020 09:28

I'd be spending more on my sound bar than my TV if I get one of them you …I'd be spending more on my sound bar than my TV if I get one of them you mentioned above as much as I'd love to buy one of them it's just not worth the ear ache from the wife Is the Q70R you sold about £700 brand new?How come you sold it? Which model starts with the upward facing speakers ? The Q70R

Yes the Q70R I sold is the one currently on for £700.
efc_4ever28/02/2020 10:18

How about the Q70R at £700. Has upward firing speakers and brilliant …How about the Q70R at £700. Has upward firing speakers and brilliant reviews. I'm not going above that budgetI want the Q90 but it's just not happening

In terms of best value , I would agree the Q70R is the best buy. It's much better than the Q60R but not massively inferior to the q80 or Q90R.
You really need surround speakers though.
Without them the sound is too narrow coming just from the soundbar.
adamderak28/02/2020 10:23

In terms of best value , I would agree the Q70R is the best buy. It's much …In terms of best value , I would agree the Q70R is the best buy. It's much better than the Q60R but not massively inferior to the q80 or Q90R.You really need surround speakers though.Without them the sound is too narrow coming just from the soundbar.

Any surround speakers? Or could you direct me to some that would go well with the Q70R please
efc_4ever28/02/2020 10:24

Any surround speakers? Or could you direct me to some that would go well …Any surround speakers? Or could you direct me to some that would go well with the Q70R please

Ideally upward firing ones but think they will be too expensive as usually just sold as a package with the top end soundbars.
Samsung are almost forcing you to buy the top end soundbar buy not really giving you an affordable surround speakers option.
I think the swa 9000s should be compatible. I have them , they are not earth shattering but do the job
adamderak28/02/2020 10:32

Ideally upward firing ones but think they will be too expensive as usually …Ideally upward firing ones but think they will be too expensive as usually just sold as a package with the top end soundbars.Samsung are almost forcing you to buy the top end soundbar buy not really giving you an affordable surround speakers option.I think the swa 9000s should be compatible. I have them , they are not earth shattering but do the job

Thank you
efc_4ever28/02/2020 10:34

Thank you

Didn't really know much about them until recently.
Wife wasn't going accept a messy wired up system.
So a clean soundbar was the only way for me.
Samsung with new Harmon kadon partnership produce the amongst the best all in one soundbar system
To get the best Dolby Atmos effect you really need ceiling speakers but for most this isn't practical so upward firing speakers are the best compromise. I have a Dolby Atmos amp with regular surround speakers and sub woofer plus two upward firing speakers at the rear mounted about 1M from the ceiling. I'd go for a decent sound bar if as you say you don't want wires running up walls, the sound will still be good.
With streaming services often the Atmos soundtrack option is higher bit-rate and the audio improves all-round regardless of good the overhead effects really are. So if you have a atmos capable amp and can add some upfiring spkrs or even a soundbar with Atmos then its worth it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants