Dolby digital or PCM

Posted 12th May 2019
Just messing about with my new LGsoundbar and my V6 box and it's giving me the option to select Dolby digital as sound output

I've always used PCM. should I switch it to Dolby digital or just leave it as it was? I'm not sure what the difference is you see
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
PCM is effectively stereo only. You'll get better definition out of Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital is a lossy compression while PCM is uncompressed so PCM is the better quality format for audio not already encoded in Dolby Digital (aka AC3, aka A/52).

I'm not sure which format Virgin uses, but Freeview HD broadcasts audio in AAC format.
B0ne512/05/2019 11:15

PCM is effectively stereo only. You'll get better definition out of Dolby …PCM is effectively stereo only. You'll get better definition out of Dolby Digital

Er no.
PCM is far better than Dolby Digital
Sounds like best to keep at PCM then
Babbabooey12/05/2019 11:53

Er no. PCM is far better than Dolby Digital

The PCM setting would restrict audio output to stereo from your TV. There's actually no difference in terms of quality between a format and PCM. The formats is simply a compressed package that contains the PCM data. A suitably equipped audio device decodes the format (package) resulting in PCM data. If the orgininal audio is either DTS or Dolby Digital then select these as the digital audio output formats and not PCM. The quality is the same as PCM, but optical cannot convey multichannel PCM and is restricted to stereo 2channel PCM.

Note that not all TV content is encoded as Dolby Digital. Standard definition broadcasts only use stereo PCM. This isn't particularly high quality audio and the quality is determined by the recording and levels used and not purely on PCM being used at all. You only get Dolby Digirtal output is the content is encoded with it. The setting on your TV doesn't make all audio output as Dolby Digital, it simply allows it to be output when present. The PCM option is only there for those who do not have equipment that can handle Dolby Digital.
It all depends on what the movie, TV show was filmed in, you will only tend to notice the key difference when watching blu-rays, if PCM is selected then you will not benefit from audio formats such as "DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital TrueHD, Atmos and so forth which are found on blu-ray & 4K discs, however as soundbars tend to be only stereo anyway, despite so-called claims of surround sound, then you will probably to better using PCM, but experiment, PCM does sound louder that their is no denying, but that is because it outputting uncompressed stereo sound... It all comes back to personal taste and preference really.. but since its a soundbar I would definitely choose PCM more so than Dolby Digital...
Edited by: "lettherebedeals" 12th May 2019
My thoughts are that the V6 is sending out DD signal so your soundbar will want to be set to DD to decode it.
All audio is PCM, DD is just compressed PCM. You can decide at which point to decode it in your case. Try them both and see what your preference is
Edited by: "Quinoa" 12th May 2019
Yeah I agree with Quineo try them both, however since its only a soundbar I would not concern yourself to much, this debate as been going for a many years now, but it only needs to be tested further when using surround sound speakers in combination with a AV receiver as to what is best... whilst many will argue that PCM is better, many will argue Dolby Digital is better so to conclude its personal preference.
Brilliant. Thanks for the advice everyone. Ive tried both Audio settings and to be honest I'm yet to hear much difference. I'll leave at PCM for now though
lettherebedeals12/05/2019 12:42

Yeah I agree with Quineo try them both, however since its only a soundbar …Yeah I agree with Quineo try them both, however since its only a soundbar I would not concern yourself to much, this debate as been going for a many years now, but it only needs to be tested further when using surround sound speakers in combination with a AV receiver as to what is best... whilst many will argue that PCM is better, many will argue Dolby Digital is better so to conclude its personal preference.

thinking a bit more about this, when I was setting a Sony sound bar up with a cheap Finlux, setting it to PCM solved the lip synch issue.
Quinoa12/05/2019 12:50

thinking a bit more about this, when I was setting a Sony sound bar up …thinking a bit more about this, when I was setting a Sony sound bar up with a cheap Finlux, setting it to PCM solved the lip synch issue.

Well I have had a lip sync issue actually. This is why I started messing about with audio settings. I'm using my 4k firestick and the LG soundbar via optical cable and it's out of sync. What's this audio delay setting on my Samsung TV? It's set to 70. Would it help if I adjusted that?
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 12th May 2019
stevo610512/05/2019 14:01

Well I have had a lip sync issue actually. This is why I started messing …Well I have had a lip sync issue actually. This is why I started messing about with audio settings. I'm using my 4k firestick and the LG soundbar via optical cable and it's out of sync. What's this audio delay setting on my Samsung TV? It's set to 70. Would it help if I adjusted that?

could be, I don't have a samsung but remember having to adjust a Sony TV with Sony Surround using the surround settings to sync. My theory in your case is maybe the sound bar is taking too long to process the dd, so setting it to PCM should cut out the processing time. Only a theory. I don't know the technicalities.
To put it simply....

PCM, the Virgin box will output the Audio "AS is" for your Soundbar to decode
Doby Digital/DTS etc.... the Virgin box will decode the audio and send it to your soundbar in the specified format
stevo610512/05/2019 14:01

Well I have had a lip sync issue actually. This is why I started messing …Well I have had a lip sync issue actually. This is why I started messing about with audio settings. I'm using my 4k firestick and the LG soundbar via optical cable and it's out of sync. What's this audio delay setting on my Samsung TV? It's set to 70. Would it help if I adjusted that?

The LG Lip Sync issue is so weird with LG Soundbars, I got my parents a LG soundbar to and that also as the exact same issue, it becomes annoying after a while, the solution I found was to change the settings to "BYPASS" mode, and then in the Lip-Sync Settings set it to around -5 to -10 Milliseconds which seems to sort it out...

I think it only affects soundbars that use OPTICAL and not HDMI... using HDMI you wont get this issue, but not all Soundbars have HDMI, especially LG soundbars which mostly tend to be OPTICAL based.

If you can go HDMI on the soundbar change do so... if not, you going to have to try and change the milliseconds variant on soundbar... or the TV... its weird and can take some sorting, its getting the right Audio Delay perfect... I think there is a Audio Delay setting on the Fire TV to but dont worry about that for now, try the settings in the TV & Soundbar first.
lettherebedeals12/05/2019 18:39

The LG Lip Sync issue is so weird with LG Soundbars, I got my parents a LG …The LG Lip Sync issue is so weird with LG Soundbars, I got my parents a LG soundbar to and that also as the exact same issue, it becomes annoying after a while, the solution I found was to change the settings to "BYPASS" mode, and then in the Lip-Sync Settings set it to around -5 to -10 Milliseconds which seems to sort it out... I think it only affects soundbars that use OPTICAL and not HDMI... using HDMI you wont get this issue, but not all Soundbars have HDMI, especially LG soundbars which mostly tend to be OPTICAL based.If you can go HDMI on the soundbar change do so... if not, you going to have to try and change the milliseconds variant on soundbar... or the TV... its weird and can take some sorting, its getting the right Audio Delay perfect... I think there is a Audio Delay setting on the Fire TV to but dont worry about that for now, try the settings in the TV & Soundbar first.

Yep I think I'll change the audio delay on TV and see if that does anything. I don't think I have them settings though for the soundbar. Your right though it is optical cable. It's the SJ2 soundbar
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 12th May 2019
deleted1447778
EndlessWaves12/05/2019 11:30

Dolby Digital is a lossy compression while PCM is uncompressed so PCM is …Dolby Digital is a lossy compression while PCM is uncompressed so PCM is the better quality format for audio not already encoded in Dolby Digital (aka AC3, aka A/52).I'm not sure which format Virgin uses, but Freeview HD broadcasts audio in AAC format.

Freeview uses both AAC and Dolby Digital.

lettherebedeals12/05/2019 12:22

It all depends on what the movie, TV show was filmed in, you will only …It all depends on what the movie, TV show was filmed in, you will only tend to notice the key difference when watching blu-rays, if PCM is selected then you will not benefit from audio formats such as "DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital TrueHD, Atmos and so forth which are found on blu-ray & 4K discs, however as soundbars tend to be only stereo anyway, despite so-called claims of surround sound, then you will probably to better using PCM, but experiment, PCM does sound louder that their is no denying, but that is because it outputting uncompressed stereo sound... It all comes back to personal taste and preference really.. but since its a soundbar I would definitely choose PCM more so than Dolby Digital...

This is not true, the only difference between bitstreamed formats and PCM is where the decoding is done, if you set PCM then the bluray player does the decoding, if it's bitstreamed then the amp does the decoding. The only difference using PCM is your amp will display PCM/LPCM, your still hearing what ever digital format you select including HD audio formats, as long as your using HDMI.
Edited by: "deleted1447778" 13th May 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants