Dolmio Lasagne sauce Explosion!

42 replies
Found 13th Jan 2015
So my jar of Dolmio Lasagne sauce has practically exploded!

I opened the jar and made a great fizzing noise, and it has bubbled up quite a lot. Looks like foam. It also smells like beer, quite a lot!

Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm obviously not going to eat it, but just want to know if it common, and also hear any similar stories!

Link to photo in first post.

1. Misc
  2. Sauces
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Sauces
42 Comments

Original Poster

Edited by: "Eden0032" 13th Jan 2015

it's an assassination attempt...glad you're ok & i hope the co-op send you some vouchers

edit - yeast extract is an ingredient so that might be why it smells like beer,
obviously reacted with something else in the jar or the air when you opened it up
Edited by: "Dark.Energy" 13th Jan 2015

Original Poster

DarkEnergy2012

it's an assassination attempt...glad you're ok & i hope the co-op send … it's an assassination attempt...glad you're ok & i hope the co-op send you some vouchers

I just find it so strange - how could a jar of sauce go this crazy?

And as for the beer smell, I can only assume the sauce is fermenting or something, which is really odd!

No but inb4 someone suggests its much tastier, cheaper & easier to make from scratch therby missing the whole point.

Probably a decomposing rat inside the jar.

Complain and you might get a 25p voucher towards your next jar.

How out of date is it?

Original Poster

Flodd

No but inb4 someone suggests its much tastier, cheaper & easier to make … No but inb4 someone suggests its much tastier, cheaper & easier to make from scratch therby missing the whole point.

Thank you for your ever so generous input. I appreciate it very, very, very much! (btw, I can cook, quite well if I do say so myself). I only purchased as they were BOGOF and I was in a rush the night I purchased. Since I had the second jar, I decided to use it last night.

Original Poster

cdm22

How out of date is it?

BB date is 03/03/2015

Original Poster

Mark2111

Probably a decomposing rat inside the jar.Complain and you might get a … Probably a decomposing rat inside the jar.Complain and you might get a 25p voucher towards your next jar.

Lovely thought!

Eden0032

Thank you for your ever so generous input. I appreciate it very, very, … Thank you for your ever so generous input. I appreciate it very, very, very much! (btw, I can cook, quite well if I do say so myself). I only purchased as they were BOGOF and I was in a rush the night I purchased. Since I had the second jar, I decided to use it last night.

I didn't say I was going to do it, I was hoping to prevent somebody else from taking it down that path!

Original Poster

Flodd

I didn't say I was going to do it, I was hoping to prevent somebody else … I didn't say I was going to do it, I was hoping to prevent somebody else from taking it down that path!

Fair enough.

Make it from scratch you lazy ****.

Anyway its probably been sitting in a hot place fermenting

Original Poster

Error440

Make it from scratch you lazy ****. Anyway its probably been sitting in a … Make it from scratch you lazy ****. Anyway its probably been sitting in a hot place fermenting

Thank you for your ever so generous input. I appreciate it very, very, very much! (btw, I can cook, quite well if I do say so myself). I only purchased as they were BOGOF and I was in a rush the night I purchased. Since I had the second jar, I decided to use it last night.

I've heard of homemade chutney exploding.

sreddar

I've heard of homemade chutney exploding.

So have I. The sequel to 2 girls 1 cup. oO

This thread needs to be moved to The Daily Mail where op fan upload sad face pictures.

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w406/Justjay1990/73f2dd80314db60da9d865ef24f34ed9_zpse8b91b2a.jpg

Never happened to me before, but I use the above X)

just1990

Never happened to me before, but I use the above X)

My sauce exploded everywhere when I opened that pm you sent me! oO

It's Lloyd getting his own back:

http://newsthump.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/loyd-grossman-food-poisoning.jpg

Its amazing how no ones given a serious answer and just taking the p*ss

Where theres blame theres a claim . Find their facebook page and let them and their followers see the dodgy jar and see what they have to say/do/offer .

mali41218

How ironic! X)

Mark2111

This thread needs to be moved to The Daily Mail where op fan upload sad … This thread needs to be moved to The Daily Mail where op fan upload sad face pictures.

Plus pictures of the clothes ruined by the sauce exploding, a table showing the loss of income from having to take time off work to wash said clothes. More pictures of the glass shards embedded in the wall and graph showing how this negatively impacted the value of the house and a medical report from a quasi-medical professional, explaining how not eating spaghetti that night resulted in a lack of nutrients, stunting the growth of children.
Edited by: "MSK." 13th Jan 2015

Maybe it's time to learn how to make a roux sauce.

There will be bacteria in it that caused it to ferment.

markq

My sauce exploded everywhere when I opened that pm you sent me! oO

You sure you got the right person, my pm's end up scaring people oO

That looks so weird! I wonder what made that happen?

My best guess would be yeast somehow getting in and missing pasteurisation.

Yeast ferments the sugars, which in turn causes the pressure build up and the beer smell.

Look on the bright side. Rather than you using a red wine sauce, you now have an alcohol laced white sauce.
Wolf it down, you'll be fine. Just don't drive for a week, submit to a breathalyser or breath near a naked flame.

No such thing as Lasagne sauce :-/
Is it a bechamel sauce & could it have been stored under a strong light ?
It actually looks like it's been jarred when still hot & that's why sauces/foods should be at room temperature before sealing them.

Original Poster

WheresMeNuts

No such thing as Lasagne sauce :-/Is it a bechamel sauce & could it have … No such thing as Lasagne sauce :-/Is it a bechamel sauce & could it have been stored under a strong light ?It actually looks like it's been jarred when still hot & that's why sauces/foods should be at room temperature before sealing them.

Its been stored in the cupboard since purchase. hasn't ever been heated up.

Eden0032

Its been stored in the cupboard since purchase. hasn't ever been heated … Its been stored in the cupboard since purchase. hasn't ever been heated up.

I think he meant at maufacture

moneysavingkitten

Plus pictures of the clothes ruined by the sauce exploding, a table … Plus pictures of the clothes ruined by the sauce exploding, a table showing the loss of income from having to take time off work to wash said clothes. More pictures of the glass shards embedded in the wall and graph showing how this negatively impacted the value of the house and a medical report from a quasi-medical professional, explaining how not eating spaghetti that night resulted in a lack of nutrients, stunting the growth of children.

Very witty

mali41218

This is misc... it's funny

On a serious note, it sounds like the jar wasn't processed properly. The smell sounds like yeast. The explosion was possibly microbial spoilage and hydrogen produced by the interaction of acid in the food with the metal lid of the can.
Contact the manufacturer and complain. They can give you the correct answer instead of online guessing.
Also make sure you properly clean everything to avoid contamination. Don't eat that funky junk either, unless you want a trip to hospital.
Edited by: "NinurtaEnki" 14th Jan 2015

Pasta La Vista, Baby!

Why would the sauce have yeast in it ?
Does it say yeast on the ingredients ?

WheresMeNuts

Why would the sauce have yeast in it ?Does it say yeast on the … Why would the sauce have yeast in it ?Does it say yeast on the ingredients ?

Clearly it's been contaminated - not necessarily by yeast, more likely bacteria.

It will be a relatively unique error in the manufacturing plant; like wrong gas flushing, physical contamination, ineffective seal etc, otherwise there would be a recall.

moob

Clearly it's been contaminated - not necessarily by yeast, more likely … Clearly it's been contaminated - not necessarily by yeast, more likely bacteria.It will be a relatively unique error in the manufacturing plant; like wrong gas flushing, physical contamination, ineffective seal etc, otherwise there would be a recall.

The lid would be the main suspect here I would say.
You being a EHO will have come across this a few good times.

WheresMeNuts

Why would the sauce have yeast in it ?Does it say yeast on the … Why would the sauce have yeast in it ?Does it say yeast on the ingredients ?

It wont, that doesn't mean it hasn't been contaminated by a wild yeast, which judging from the photos, smell and the gas build up fits the bill for all three.

but as has been stated here.. pretty unique within the factory, but will almost certainly have affected others in the batch. The jar has not been processed correctly at one sage or another.

moneysavingkitten

Plus pictures of the clothes ruined by the sauce exploding, a table … Plus pictures of the clothes ruined by the sauce exploding, a table showing the loss of income from having to take time off work to wash said clothes. More pictures of the glass shards embedded in the wall and graph showing how this negatively impacted the value of the house and a medical report from a quasi-medical professional, explaining how not eating spaghetti that night resulted in a lack of nutrients, stunting the growth of children.

its mini mancini trying to get back to England
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Add one, leave one game54315414
    2. The PlayStation VR (PSVR) Thread861868
    3. word association Game74244894
    4. Coming up to bonfire night ...2128

See more discussions