Domain name and web hosting

Found 11th Apr
hi, looking to create a website - something I haven't done in years. Apparently my ISP no longer offers any free space and Microsoft no longer makes Front-page which I used previously to build my sites. I've spent a few hours tonight Googling website hosting and some sites offer Linux hosting and some Windows. I'm not entirely sure which one I want, all I'm looking to do is use a few pages of HTML - any help or guidance would be appreciated. It'd also be good to get some recommendations for hosting companies and places to buy domain names (ideally using the same company) Free sites for the hosting would be preferable but not compulsory
Community Updates
10 Comments
Original Poster
Just thought of something else - any recommendations for sites where you can do the website design online/in the cloud as opposed to locally on a PC?
Namecheap.com for getting your own domain name and a shared hosting plan from sharkhosting.co.uk works for me.

Start off with a simple Wordpress based website and if you have too much time on your hand make a from scratch made one later.

There is a £14.11 Humble Bundle going at the moment that might be of interest to you here.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 11th Apr
Free web hosting and no adverts at infinityfree.net/ with automated installation of 400+ scripts including popular (online configured) Wordpress. Domain providers often offer discounted first year domain registration, and some such as 1and1 will offer an inclusive mailbox (2GB from 1and1) with unlimited forwarders. Point your domain to the free hosting but retain your MX with 1and1, unless you want multiple mailboxes in which case your choice on how much extra to spend to expand MX options.
deleted1597344
I use Krystal hosting, maybe not the cheapest host available but you certainly get what you pay for. Whoever you decide to go with for hosting just be careful and fully understand what you are actually getting.
AndyRoyd12 h, 47 m ago

Free web hosting and no adverts at https://infinityfree.net/ with …Free web hosting and no adverts at https://infinityfree.net/ with automated installation of 400+ scripts including popular (online configured) Wordpress. Domain providers often offer discounted first year domain registration, and some such as 1and1 will offer an inclusive mailbox (2GB from 1and1) with unlimited forwarders. Point your domain to the free hosting but retain your MX with 1and1, unless you want multiple mailboxes in which case your choice on how much extra to spend to expand MX options.

Cheers, had no idea about infinity free,
wordPress.com. Free and maybe good enough for what you want. I have a domain name for advertising and business cards that just forwards to the WordPress site. If you pay £4pm WordPress will give you a
.Com and remove the banner adds but I'm not bothered. I got 89 views according to Google last month and that's not bad for a small business. WordPress is the way to go if building a site. You can play with WordPress.com and if its not for you delete site in settings.
Edited by: "wayners" 12th Apr
swooper712th Apr

Cheers, had no idea about infinity free,

TBH, if credible support is offered by SharkHosting mentioned by Summoner in the second post, I wouldn't botther with InfinityFree. You're looking at under £11 for combination of 12m domain registration, unlimted webhosting and unlimited email hosting = silly low money, as long as the SH service level is credible.
Original Poster
AndyRoyd13th Apr

TBH, if credible support is offered by SharkHosting mentioned by Summoner …TBH, if credible support is offered by SharkHosting mentioned by Summoner in the second post, I wouldn't botther with InfinityFree. You're looking at under £11 for combination of 12m domain registration, unlimted webhosting and unlimited email hosting = silly low money, as long as the SH service level is credible.

I can see where you're getting from £11 per year for domain registration but surely webhosting costs are on top of that?
Namecheap: £5.32 +VAT per year for domain (6.38 inc VAT)

Sharkhosting: £2.45 inc VAT per year or less if you do 2/3 years. I think I must have used a promo code, because I pay £1.95 every year.

Their response times to tickets is good, longest wait was 6 hours. I have 1 site with free SSL (Let's encrypt) and 2 more 1 page websites that are just a masked forward to a sub directory.

The service is perfect for people who want to dabble in a first website or where the website is not essential to the running of a business/service.

I have had no downtime in 2 years, that I noticed. What I do not do however is host my email with them, for that I use Google's G-Suite.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 15th Apr
Hammerheads2915th Apr

I can see where you're getting from £11 per year for domain registration …I can see where you're getting from £11 per year for domain registration but surely webhosting costs are on top of that?

You're right, my math was way off. Should be £1.19 initial 12m domain reg with 1and1 + £1.23 annual hosting from SH.
1and1.co.uk/99-…ins
sharkhosting.co.uk/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants