Expired

Domain Name + Hosting

25 replies
Found 25th Apr 2007
Hi, I'm looking for the best deal on a .com/.co.uk domain and some webspace/hosting.

What's the best deals around? I'm a university student, if that helps secure any cheaper deals :thumbsup:.

Cheers!

edit: not wanting to pay much more than £5 a month (for the hosting).

26 Comments

Its not always about cheapness when it comes to domain and hosting you need reliability.

123-reg.co.uk/ For domains.

What sort of hosting are you needing?, Webspace, bandwidth? etc?

Original Poster

Sorry, I did include those originally, but took it out to get to the point quicker.

Webspace > 250mb.
Bandwidth > 2gb a month.
mySQL databases may be needed at a later date.

Cheers, will check out 123-reg now

iweb solution good for hosting

Iom-RF

Its not always about cheapness when it comes to domain and hosting you … Its not always about cheapness when it comes to domain and hosting you need reliability.http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ For domains.What sort of hosting are you needing?, Webspace, bandwidth? etc?

I use 123-reg for my domains, they're very quick.

I use 123-reg.co.uk for all my sites.
Very good.
If in need of bigger packages i use webfusion.co.uk. Still very good prices.

easylike123

I use 123-reg.co.uk for all my sites.Very good.If in need of bigger … I use 123-reg.co.uk for all my sites.Very good.If in need of bigger packages i use webfusion.co.uk. Still very good prices.

FYI both 123-reg and webfusion are owned by Pipex.

Original Poster

123-reg.co.uk/web…ng/ just looking at that, I can't see any mention of PHP/mySQL support? Does web hosting from 123 come ready to use these?

123-reg hosting isn't really aimed at people that need MySQL/PHP etc. it's more aimed at your basic Dave Dreamweaver and Freddy Frontpage.

I used ]supanames for my promotional based sites and ]threespires for any online store based projects

Probably want to use Webfusion.co.uk for the php/sql think they have it on the lower packages.

megalomaniac yeah found that out when needed more scripting capabilities and needed to upgrade.
Cheers

[url]www.krystal.co.uk[/url]

250MB webspace
10GB bandwidth a month
10 Mysql databases
PHP, MySql, CGI, SSI, Perl support
10 Parked domains / Unlimited Sub Domains
100 Pop3 emails accounts

£49.99 a year with free domain too.

Highly recommended company and unrivalled support in my experiences.

Original Poster

Krystal seems pretty good, will look into them. Cheers

I use Dreamhost... here's what they offer:

Disk Storage: 160GB
Monthly Bandwidth: 1.6TB
MySQL Databases: unlimited
Free Domain Registrations (.com/.net/.org/.info only)

Price: $119.40 p/year
Discount code: -$90 (use "SAVE90YEAR" when signing-up)
Total price: $29.40 (or £15 per year, in real money)

Bear in mind that this discount can only be used once - for either the 1 year or the 2 year plan.... after that, the price goes back up to the normal $119.40 per year.

However, you'll struggle to find anywhere that can beat £15 for a year's web hosting with anywhere near as much bandwidth and storage.

Original Poster

Being an American company, what's the speed of the server like? The price seems excellent!

I uploaded a video I have... it's 200MB so should give you a good indication of the speed. You can download the file here

ps - it's a video of the new Super Mario Strikers Charged game on the Wii ;-)

Original Poster

carambar

ps - it's a video of the new Super Mario Strikers Charged game on the Wii … ps - it's a video of the new Super Mario Strikers Charged game on the Wii ;-)

Good choice (I've had it pre-ordered for months :-D ).

Downloading now - I've seen the video already once though. :santa:

edit:

Seems all right speed wise, I max out at 800kb/s. Getting 250kb/s downloading this file.

I've used flexi-host.co.uk for hosting my final year project (needed php and mysql). Very good speeds and customer support and most importantly very good prices. £3 per month I'm paying.

are there UK companies that offer the kind of space the us companies offer and the bandwidth.

I am looking for servers that must be located in the UK or at least outside the US as I am looking to set a gambling related site and dont want any hassle from accessing stuff from US servers (since I am not that well up on the legality etc etc)

So can anyone summerise the top 3 places to buy website hosting / domain names. For a small business

hi
Cool. This site looks great. Does anyone know if one can transfer a domain name from one host to the other ?

I would also like to know if I sign a years contract and after expiry if I dont renew it could someone else buy the same domain name.

Try flashservers.co.uk i had a good experiance with them in the past. They have UK based servers as well.

earthlink001

hiCool. This site looks great. Does anyone know if one can transfer a … hiCool. This site looks great. Does anyone know if one can transfer a domain name from one host to the other ? I would also like to know if I sign a years contract and after expiry if I dont renew it could someone else buy the same domain name.

Yes of course, if you don't keep the domain name it becomes availbable to buy again. Personally I always keep my hosting seperate from my domain names.

I always use these guys,

]UK Web Solutions Direct
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]UK hosting (Based in London) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Constantly upgrading their services (I started at 100mb over a year it went up to 500mb with no price increase)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]These are their general hosting plans[/SIZE]
http://www.void.org.uk/ukwsd.jpg

Website ]ukwsd.com

The best domain registrar I've used is NameCheap(.com). It's cheap and it is reliable, which is especially important if you intend to buy a few...
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…3973
    2. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…46
    3. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3275
    4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 192 ***215

See more discussions