Groups

Domain name - how to register and who to register with?

I want to buy a domain name (like www....)
    How do I go about this?
    And also any suggestions on guides or templates for website design?
    Thank you, I know nothing about this!

23 Comments

Go on [URL="www.123reg.co.uk"]123 Reg[/URL]

:thumbsup:

i always used ukreg.com for my domains, used namecheap aswel, but i prefer ukreg
    you can get a custom template designed or use a free one, a good site for free templates iw
    [url]www.clantemplates.com[/url] and [url]www.zymic.com[/url]
    hope this helps

[url]www.godaddy.com[/url]

That's where I get mine, and you can pay via paypal.

Original Poster

I'm checking them out now. Super, thanks.

Original Poster

What is the difference between the domain name companies - once you choose the name do they do anything different from eachother. Silly question I'm sure, totally new to this!

Original Poster

Umm...what is web hosting? Do I need to buy it now? Do I need to buy the email bit now or can I organise that later?

To set up, Yes, so you have that website and its yours!

Banned

hdixon85;2434291

What is the difference between the domain name companies - once you … What is the difference between the domain name companies - once you choose the name do they do anything different from eachother. Silly question I'm sure, totally new to this!

If you are using a .com domain, then buying from the US will be cheaper. If its a co.uk, then buy from the UK.

Once you have bought the domain, then chose the host for your site. I wouldnt recommend using the same company. The domain host will have a control panel, you just tell it where your host is (from within nameservers)

To advise a bit more, you need to give a bit more info on what the site you want to host will be - ie blog, photos, shop, forum etc etc etc

Its easy and cheap to do and a lot of fun to learn on the way.

Original Poster

dontdothatagain;2434340

To set up, Yes, so you have that website and its yours!

You mean I need the webhosting as well as the name?

hdixon85;2434352

Yes, that what he means.

Original Poster

guv;2434349

If you are using a .com domain, then buying from the US will be cheaper. … If you are using a .com domain, then buying from the US will be cheaper. If its a co.uk, then buy from the UK.Once you have bought the domain, then chose the host for your site. I wouldnt recommend using the same company. The domain host will have a control panel, you just tell it where your host is (from within nameservers)To advise a bit more, you need to give a bit more info on what the site you want to host will be - ie blog, photos, shop, forum etc etc etcIts easy and cheap to do and a lot of fun to learn on the way.

I'm looking for it to be fun, give me something to do and if it can make me a bit of money woo hoo! It's more of an information website, hard to explain as I don't know myself exactly!!
    I just used 123 reg and just this minute bought the name - exciting!! Only had the idea last night and went through 123 reg as someone had reccommended it and also quidco.

hdixon85;2434352

Sorry, was busy, but you got the answer, thats the main thing! :-D

Original Poster

kyalion;2434430

Yes, that what he means.

Now I have just bought the name, if I don't get webhosting straight away can someone else take my website?

Original Poster

I take it the webhosting is, in very simple words, the thing which holds the website on the www? Keeps it up and working?

I have just done a round of reps to say thank you to everyone. You are being so amazing and helpful, thank you. It is appreciated.

No problem!

Helping a fellow HUKD'er!

Original Poster

Just to check, I need webhosting to put the website online but in the meantime, as I purchased the name, noone can use the website name and use it even if they have webhosting?!

No. You have purchased it, so no-body can have it.

Original Poster

Fab. So I can ponder the site and faff around for a while before I get round to thinking about website design - eeek. This is definately going to test me, my computer skills, my patience and my imagination, great! I'm very excited, never done anything like this before, and if it is a disaster (or more like my skills disasterous) I'll have only lost £25 (minus quidco of course). Thank you for your help.

Banned

hdixon85;2434749

Fab. So I can ponder the site and faff around for a while before I get … Fab. So I can ponder the site and faff around for a while before I get round to thinking about website design - eeek. This is definately going to test me, my computer skills, my patience and my imagination, great! I'm very excited, never done anything like this before, and if it is a disaster (or more like my skills disasterous) I'll have only lost £25 (minus quidco of course). Thank you for your help.

What have you just paid £25 for? A .co.uk from 123reg costs £6 for 2 years.

if you do need some free hosting, i reccommend [url]www.110mb.com[/url], they have tons of storage and bandwidth all for free

hdixon85;2434749

Fab. So I can ponder the site and faff around for a while before I get … Fab. So I can ponder the site and faff around for a while before I get round to thinking about website design - eeek. This is definately going to test me, my computer skills, my patience and my imagination, great! I'm very excited, never done anything like this before, and if it is a disaster (or more like my skills disasterous) I'll have only lost £25 (minus quidco of course). Thank you for your help.

What package did you choose?

How much Quidco did you get?

Original Poster

I got it .co.uk and .com. The .com was the expensive one at £17 something +VAT
    Quidco wise, it should be 6.5% I think, probably off the VAT free prices.
    That free webhosting sounds great. I am going to check out those free website tempates too, buy the dummies guide to website design (or something like it) and think about how I want the website to look. All very exciting!
    This is just going to be a fun project, something to enjoy and be proud of - hopefully!!

Banned

hdixon85;2435322

I got it .co.uk and .com. The .com was the expensive one at £17 something … I got it .co.uk and .com. The .com was the expensive one at £17 something +VAT!

If you had taken the advice given, you could have bought your ].com domain for $5.95
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?710
      2. recent price to fit a standard sized garage door55
      3. Iphone 7 - What Case?618
      4. What laptop to choose?44

See more discussions