Domains and hosting

Found 26th Mar
hi there quick question I have purchased a domain name off cheapnames. when I put the website address in that I have purchased it connects I thought u needed to buy a Web hosting service before this happens. although it's very limited on what I can do on/ add on this website can I just leave it like that or do I need to get it hosted. thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
It's not very clear what you're trying to say - leave it like what? We don't know what it looks like...

If you're buying a website off them then surely they must be hosting it? Don't they tell you what you get when you purchase?
What information have they given you? If it's not enough for you to upload the pages you want then you need to chase them for more information.
You have the domain but to make changes to the website, you will need to buy hosting. You can look else where for cheaper hosting and just move the domain over but ulimatley you need to purchase hosting for you website.
Think of it this way; you just rented a private numberplate, but you haven't rented the vehicle to put it on.

You can use a free hosting site, but some add adverts into the page and have very low limits on things like email accounts, space and bandwidth.
You have to build a website and then attach the domain name to it.. Where is your website? How are you building it. Its like having an house address before the house is built. You need to build the house now
I think what you are saying is do you need hosting?

You've registered a domain. Think of this like a car number plate. You can place this in many places to store it and most will show a holding page. But to use it you need a car or in this case storage space (call hosting).

You have a number of hosting options including at the domain host. When you have hosting space you place your content on that.
Thanks for All the replies. The reason why I asked the question and am a bit confused is because I have purchased the domain but no hosting so I thought only I can look at the website until I pay for the hosting like most of you have said e.g. buying a number plate without a car u can't really use it but. I'm confused as anyone can look at the website who has the address thought I had to pay for hosting before it went live although it's very basic as they give you a free very very basic website tool called canvas.
wayners4 h, 47 m ago

You have to build a website and then attach the domain name to it.. Where …You have to build a website and then attach the domain name to it.. Where is your website? How are you building it. Its like having an house address before the house is built. You need to build the house now

This is what I'm confused about I just paid for a domain name for 5 years but if anyone puts the website name in they can see it. Does it mean it's not very secure etc at the moment until I get it hosted.
I created a website a WordPress.com for free.. Not 1 penny.. They give you a free domain name like..yourname.wordpress.com then I logged in with my domain name the place I bought it and setup a redirect..so if you type wayne.co.uk it takes you to my WordPress site... That's how I done it on the cheap.. As for you question.. You bought a domain name that's doing nothing. You own it for a set period. Its safe. Its doing nothing. Going nowhere. Its secure. There is nothing there of interest to anybody although you will have and email address with it but if you don't use it don't worry about it..many people buy domain names just incase they need them but do nothing with them..
Edited by: "wayners" 26th Mar
wayners7 m ago

I created a website a WordPress.com for free.. Not 1 penny.. They give you …I created a website a WordPress.com for free.. Not 1 penny.. They give you a free domain name like..yourname.wordpress.com then I logged in with my domain name the place I bought it and setup a redirect..so if you type wayne.co.uk it takes you to my WordPress site... That's how I done it on the cheap.. As for you question.. You bought a domain name that's doing nothing. You own it for a set period. Its safe. Its doing nothing. Going nowhere. Its secure. There is nothing there of interest to anybody although you will have and email address with it but if you don't use it don't worry about it..many people buy domain names just incase they need them but do nothing with them..

OK I'm still confused I haven't got any redirects like you have setup but it still works. Its this one needs things adding so I'm going PM if you want have a look. Is ur still redirected to ur WordPress sight as it doesn't show a a redirect at the top. I wanted to do that using Wix but think it's not free I'd you want to redirect a domain name there .

Is us still free on WordPress.
WordPress.com starts with a free version but there are adverts. Next up the tree is a £4pm plan which removes adds and they give you a domain name. I'm not bothered about the advertising for the small amount on screen. As for showing your domain name in the address bar who cares. Nobody types in an address and nobody looks at it,so the redirect works fine for me. I just use my domain name on business cards and boards but I think people just search on Google and tap link. Nobody types in an address these days if ever. Web address masking is where your domain name always shows at the address bar but you need to pay for this but I haven't bothered... When you buy hosting you will have a choice of software to build the site and that will be online. You don't install software to build a website.. This is hosted by the provider.. WordPress.com is different.. You can't choose your software as there is only one, WordPress. Also you can't change the code to create an original site you only work with what they give you.. I spent hours installing WordPress on my pc when it wasn't needed. It's all online...You current domain is probably showing a default Web page with nothing much on.. Maybe.. It is not a website
Edited by: "wayners" 27th Mar
wayners1 h, 48 m ago

WordPress.com starts with a free version but there are adverts. Next up …WordPress.com starts with a free version but there are adverts. Next up the tree is a £4pm plan which removes adds and they give you a domain name. I'm not bothered about the advertising for the small amount on screen. As for showing your domain name in the address bar who cares. Nobody types in an address and nobody looks at it,so the redirect works fine for me. I just use my domain name on business cards and boards but I think people just search on Google and tap link. Nobody types in an address these days if ever. Web address masking is where your domain name always shows at the address bar but you need to pay for this but I haven't bothered... When you buy hosting you will have a choice of software to build the site and that will be online. You don't install software to build a website.. This is hosted by the provider.. WordPress.com is different.. You can't choose your software as there is only one, WordPress. Also you can't change the code to create an original site you only work with what they give you.. I spent hours installing WordPress on my pc when it wasn't needed. It's all online...You current domain is probably showing a default Web page with nothing much on.. Maybe.. It is not a website

I think I understand know it's just shows 1 page I didn't realise this as there's a button to add more pages but this doesn't show on the web page note to my self not (Web site) unless I'm Logged onto as a administrator so other people can't click It. How do u redirect ur domain name to another free website I may do that as well I tried to do that but it wasn't working so was going to pay for a webs hosting. Do you know if Wix allows redirecting a domain name free or just WordPress thanks
Edited by: "MynameisM" 27th Mar
Log in to you domain name account and somewhere there will be a redirect option.. You might need to search the help pages... I use godaddy and that was part of it. No extra cost.. Don't know anything about self building sites.. I watched YouTube and copied a WordPress demo just to learn... Took a couple of evenings and I was off and running.. The few problems I had I searched youtube and Google for answers.. I'm not clever or work in IT but it's simple when you get going..Oh.. Compress and get you pictures ready for the site before you use.. That was one mistake 8 made from the off. Need to compress them but you can do that for free online or pc software for free.. I used original pictures at 4mb each and it slowed site down as It's to big of file size
Edited by: "wayners" 27th Mar
wayners21 h, 1 m ago

I created a website a WordPress.com for free.. Not 1 penny.. They give you …I created a website a WordPress.com for free.. Not 1 penny.. They give you a free domain name like..yourname.wordpress.com then I logged in with my domain name the place I bought it and setup a redirect..so if you type wayne.co.uk it takes you to my WordPress site... That's how I done it on the cheap.. As for you question.. You bought a domain name that's doing nothing. You own it for a set period. Its safe. Its doing nothing. Going nowhere. Its secure. There is nothing there of interest to anybody although you will have and email address with it but if you don't use it don't worry about it..many people buy domain names just incase they need them but do nothing with them..

Is ur website stratus technology Ltd. The top of the site show ur name doesn't show its redirect or anything looks pretty good .
No. I'm a decorator and plaster
wayners2 h, 20 m ago

No. I'm a decorator and plaster

I thought that as well but that link Wayne.co.uk goes to a different website
MynameisM9 h, 22 m ago

I thought that as well but that link Wayne.co.uk goes to a different …I thought that as well but that link Wayne.co.uk goes to a different website

Was made up.. As example.. Didn't want to put my real website address up because of idiots
Pm me and I'll give you me website address if you want to look
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants