domestic fraud on credit cards

Found 1st Jul 2015
hey everyone

depressing post from me

how do credit cards handle queries on fraud if done by family members. a family has had fraud done on their credit and she has good evidence its a family member. immediate family member. I know banks handle domestic fraud differently. if the banks find its a family member, you can either cancel the investigation and pay the bank whatever its lost, or if you want your money back you have to prosecute.

just wondering if credit card companies offer a similar practice. don't think the person whose had fraud done on them wants to prosecute but wants to see if the bank would cancel the amount owed even if it was a domestic fraud case.

might as well before I phone up the credit card company. don't want to get the ball rolling and end up in a situation where the bank will prosecute regardless. family member would rather then just pay the outstanding amount and try to get money from the person whose done the fraud.

I know, its a big mess.
Community Updates
AskCardCredit Card
13 Comments
So just to clarify. Are you asking IF the credit card company would cancel the amount spent on the credit card by your family member without the card holders permission?
Original Poster
ipswich78

So just to clarify. Are you asking IF the credit card company would … So just to clarify. Are you asking IF the credit card company would cancel the amount spent on the credit card by your family member without the card holders permission?

essentially yeah. the person who has had fraud done on them will not prosecute so she's prepared for the worse and expects to clear the debt. just wanted to know options available before I phone up credit card company.
EN1GMA

essentially yeah. the person who has had fraud done on them will not … essentially yeah. the person who has had fraud done on them will not prosecute so she's prepared for the worse and expects to clear the debt. just wanted to know options available before I phone up credit card company.

Oh dear. Why wouldn't you want them prosecuted? They have tried to steal your money so should face the consequences, why should the bank / credit card company be out of pocket due to the dishonesty of your family member.

Original Poster
ipswich78

Oh dear. Why wouldn't you want them prosecuted? They have tried to steal … Oh dear. Why wouldn't you want them prosecuted? They have tried to steal your money so should face the consequences, why should the bank / credit card company be out of pocket due to the dishonesty of your family member.

im all up for prosecution but its not my call to make. just wanted to see options available.
Sadly does happen i know of a case but the family member paid off the debt to avoid prosecuting and never got the money back either
The credit card company could refund and refer the matter to the police for them to investigate, they would note that you have a suspicion it was your family member, but it's up to the police to investigate, thy may credit the money back and not refer, or they could decline to reimburse if they believe the credit card holder acted in a negligent manner
EN1GMA

im all up for prosecution but its not my call to make. just wanted to see … im all up for prosecution but its not my call to make. just wanted to see options available.

It's not your or your family members call to prosecute only the police can do that, the credit card company could start civil proceedings to get the money back, but the court has to believe beyond reasonable doubt that the person was responsible
EN1GMA

im all up for prosecution but its not my call to make. just wanted to see … im all up for prosecution but its not my call to make. just wanted to see options available.

Open to abuse though isn't it? Imagine this scenario... My cousin 'fraudulently' uses my Credit Card to buy a shiny new iPad. I phone up c/c company report it - they refund me and I get to keep shiny new iPad with no consequences for said cousin.

How do you think this will all pan out?? Seems suspicious to me...
Original Poster
ipswich78

Open to abuse though isn't it? Imagine this scenario... My cousin … Open to abuse though isn't it? Imagine this scenario... My cousin 'fraudulently' uses my Credit Card to buy a shiny new iPad. I phone up c/c company report it - they refund me and I get to keep shiny new iPad with no consequences for said cousin.How do you think this will all pan out?? Seems suspicious to me...

just a genuine query. I totally understand how it would be open to abuse and like I said, the person who has been defrauded is going to clear the debt and get the money from the person involved. just wanted to know all options before payment was made.
only one way to deal with this. if you don't want to prosecute then leave it. if you want money back you have to let the credit card company do what they need, which may include prosecution.
Out on the table of how it works.

- You put the claim in to their call centre
- Cards get cancelled and they will send paperwork to you
- You highlight the transactions that are fraudulent and then sign a statement basically saying "this isn't mine and that you agree to the card company investigating the matter on your behalf including consideration for referral to police for possible prosecution etc"

If you don't agree to that, they will cancel the card, send a new set of cards out to you and you pay off what is owed as you have not agreed to their terms for investigating it as fraud.

That's how it works with call credit card providers.

Source: I used to deal with this years ago.
To add to what has been said - it may well be in the T&C that you agree to assist fully in fraud investigations and prosecution.
How was the money taken?
if it was done by cashpoint using their pin number then the cc won't refund the money because in theory only YOU should know or have access to that number so they will day it was them that withdrew the money not the relative. They will also check which cashpoint it was and if it's one you have used before then they will also use that against them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions