Domestic & General Insurance policies - Rejecting claim and refunding policy payments

Posted 5th Mar
Hi

Domestic and general rejected my claim.
Had a tv under cover with them and they asked for a proof of purchase. Well aware that the TV is over two years old. Was never told that a proof of purchase required. In fact there sales team said no proof is required and your convered for domestic use of product.

They are now rejecting claims and refunding policy money if you dont have proof of purchase, effectively now leaving me with a broken tv which was hit with toy. A peace of mind policy which i had turns out to be absolutely useless.

Looking to take them to small claims court. As they have got it on recording that there sales team said that no proof of purchase is required and nor was it ever mentiond in the Terms & conditions.

Has anyone else had to deal with the same/similar situation?

I have had to waste hours on calls with these guys and they dont seem to care
Community Updates

Groups

9 Comments
You kept proof they said you don't need proof but you didn't actually keep the proof?
Have you not got a payment showing on a bank statement or credit card bill which ties in with the amount, shop name and date of purchase as they know when the policy was started?

Alternatively, is it covered under accidental damage on your home insurance policy?
I had a policy with D&G(Now cancelled) but it was through Sky protect. My TV packed up a couple of times and they fixed it both times and never asked for proof of purchase. I don't understand why they being awkward with your claim!
Replaced my dishwasher with no receipt.
No i didnt have proof anyway as it was a private purchase not from a retailer

But regardless they shouldnt have rejected the claim.

No where at point of sale of policy nor in T&C's or in paperwork did it state my claim could be rejected if I didnt have proof of purchase. D&G refunding my policy payments clearly shows they are at wrong.

As a result I am at loss because they did not make it clear. Now I cannot insure with anyone else as it is not a good working order.

When I filed a complaint once they rejected my complaint they said they would go through call recordings to see If I was given misleading or conflicting information. Complaints team also verified I was right after listening to call recording but still decided to reject my complaint.
mk99805/03/2020 14:04

No i didnt have proof anyway as it was a private purchase not from a …No i didnt have proof anyway as it was a private purchase not from a retailerBut regardless they shouldnt have rejected the claim. No where at point of sale of policy nor in T&C's or in paperwork did it state my claim could be rejected if I didnt have proof of purchase. D&G refunding my policy payments clearly shows they are at wrong.As a result I am at loss because they did not make it clear. Now I cannot insure with anyone else as it is not a good working order.When I filed a complaint once they rejected my complaint they said they would go through call recordings to see If I was given misleading or conflicting information. Complaints team also verified I was right after listening to call recording but still decided to reject my complaint.

Have you tried this>>

If you’re not completely happy with the outcome of your complaint, you may choose to escalate it to CEO_Office@domesticandgeneral.com
Havent tried this but will give it a shot. Otherwise only option is Small claims court from what I can see
Thanks
chocci05/03/2020 14:51

Looks like they dont cover …Looks like they dont cover televisionshttps://www.domesticandgeneral.com/products?topLevelArea=topCat_app_sc_tvandaudio

I thought that too, but scroll down that page and it is at the bottom on the left

domesticandgeneral.com/pro…dio
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants