Domestic & General TV replacement dispute

Found 27th Apr
Can anyone tell me if the amount of HDMI ports on a smart tv is classed as a technical specification? According to D&G product replacement team its not. They have written off my 2015 Samsung curved TV and offered a similar resolution model but with one less HDMI and one less USB. The cheapest curved model with 4x HDMI is now classed as a higher series from mine and D&G want £200 for the "upgrade". I've argued that "like for like" should factor in the amount of connections but their response is "buy a hdmi adapter from argos".

Am I being unreasonable asking for the model that matches mine connection wise? Should I just let it go and accept less connections?
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Are they giving you a used TV that's 3 years old or a brand new TV?
Do you still have the tv? Worth looking ar a replacement board for old on if thats the only fault. I did it on my Panasonic plasme tv cost me 45 put it im my self.
If you’re unhappy with it, state you are unhappy with it and ask for a like for like replacement unless the TV is of better quality than your old one and brand new with other upgrades.
Read your terms but I guess they could argue that there's no reasonable priced model with those features. Unless you can find old/new stock I think it's reasonable to find a compromise. According to their website they only have to find a similar specification device but not an exact match.

Depending on the price of the TV I would probably pay the upgrade if the higher model was a lot better spec'd than your previous model i.e. better screen quality, extra inches. You get a lot more bang for your buck with newer models so it might be nice for a picture upgrade.
aau119 m ago

Are they giving you a used TV that's 3 years old or a brand new TV?

They only offer brand new replacements.
devshib18 m ago

Do you still have the tv? Worth looking ar a replacement board for old on …Do you still have the tv? Worth looking ar a replacement board for old on if thats the only fault. I did it on my Panasonic plasme tv cost me 45 put it im my self.

Screens gone. Approx £600 for replacement panel.
kester7620 m ago

Read your terms but I guess they could argue that there's no reasonable …Read your terms but I guess they could argue that there's no reasonable priced model with those features. Unless you can find old/new stock I think it's reasonable to find a compromise. According to their website they only have to find a similar specification device but not an exact match.Depending on the price of the TV I would probably pay the upgrade if the higher model was a lot better spec'd than your previous model i.e. better screen quality, extra inches. You get a lot more bang for your buck with newer models so it might be nice for a picture upgrade.

The terms are quite vague but they do claim like for like and a match on tech specs. They're adamant that the quantity of connections is not classed as tech specs which I find strange. Might just take the model up for £200 as the replacement they offered has some negative reviews this year. And I really don't want to lose those connections. Just thought I might have had a valid argument and got a suitable replacement.
Try the reverse logic argument. If ports are not in the technical specification, then where are they listed?

Go and look at some web sites and look at the heading they put the ports under. Manufacturer, John Lewis, Which etc. John Lewis call it Product Specification. That's close enough for me.

I find it a very disingenuous wriggle on their part. A port complies with a technical specification. Nothing else. Its not aesthetic or general. Its technical.

Have a look trustpilot.co.uk to see if anyone else has had the issue. And you could always call the Financial Ombudsman office which covers Insurance products.
Edited by: "ccnp" 27th Apr
There's never going to be an exact match to all the specs. There'll always be something that's missing. If they're providing a TV that's of equivalent quality then I'd be reasonable. If you are using all four ports then perhaps ask them to cover the cost of an HDMI switch as well.
seezyf2 h, 6 m ago

They only offer brand new replacements. Screens gone. Approx £600 for …They only offer brand new replacements. Screens gone. Approx £600 for replacement panel.

Like for like should mean you should get a used tv.
Take the replacement if it's for example 6500 series they should replace with 6500 series but if it has one less hdmi then oh well.

I think you can get vouchers but it probably won't be enough to get the replacement set.
Why don't you state the exact model of the TV which failed and the TV they have offered you and let us decide?
I was told not to buy a lg tv and buy a Panasonic instead, which lasted me a year and a half. The breakdown cover gave me like for like for a lg tv and less value (560) than I payed for the Panasonic (£699) which I found hard to digest but I had no other option.
I'm sure 1 less HDMI port won't cause much hassle as you can buy connectors or ask them to cover the cost .
I wouldn’t have bothered with this insurance and put the extra money up for a better tv, one that wouldn’t have broken in 3 years, but hey you get what you pay for.

The issue your going to have is whatever replacement will probably only last 2-3 years and the insurance won’t cover that unless you take out another policy.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 28th Apr
Misslovely10 h, 40 m ago

I was told not to buy a lg tv and buy a Panasonic instead, which lasted me …I was told not to buy a lg tv and buy a Panasonic instead, which lasted me a year and a half. The breakdown cover gave me like for like for a lg tv and less value (560) than I payed for the Panasonic (£699) which I found hard to digest but I had no other option. I'm sure 1 less HDMI port won't cause much hassle as you can buy connectors or ask them to cover the cost .

LG and Samsung TV’s have pretty high failure rates. Panasonic although still at the cheap end of the market make half decent ones, always found Sony the best for TV’s in my price range.

I have a Panasonic tv in the bedroom, it’s about 7 years old and still looks new only thing is that the apps no longer work (this is a problem on all tvs from all manufacturers) but I have a Roku box plugged into it anyway so not a big deal.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 28th Apr
Thanks for all the input. D&G have agreed on the higher spec model (55mu9000) as the model they initially offered was missing Bluetooth as well as the mentioned connections. Massive jump going from 6000 to 9000 series but not my fault Samsung doesn't make a model in the middle with those features. New set arriving on Monday
Edited by: "seezyf" 28th Apr
cmdr_elito5 h, 49 m ago

LG and Samsung TV’s have pretty high failure rates. Panasonic although s …LG and Samsung TV’s have pretty high failure rates. Panasonic although still at the cheap end of the market make half decent ones, always found Sony the best for TV’s in my price range.I have a Panasonic tv in the bedroom, it’s about 7 years old and still looks new only thing is that the apps no longer work (this is a problem on all tvs from all manufacturers) but I have a Roku box plugged into it anyway so not a big deal.

Our samsung is around 8 years old, so I think its done well, in fact its a great TV and I cant bring myself to upgrade it just for upgradings sake, maybe one day it will give up.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants