Domestic Violence 120% increase in calls to helpline during lockdown

Expert (Beta)30
Posted 11th Apr

3439918-jEYzN.jpg

The home secretary has launched a campaign to help victims of domestic abuse after a national helpline reported a 120% increase in people seeking help during the lockdown. Patel said the data was ‘extremely concerning’ and she told victims ‘you are not alone’

gov.uk/gui…elp

3439918-KyrJo.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Remember men can also be victims!
National abuse helpline reported a 20-25% increase in calls. Not a 120% increase. While any form of abuse is abhorrent, Priti does not come across well during these challenging times.
@Willy_Wonka I think you need to settle down.
4 posts in just over 20 minutes.

Whether domestic violence is up 120% or 20%, it is still terrible, terrible news. I just hope the 20% MORE or 120% MORE (as well as all the others that call) get the help they need.

I think you've missed the point completely here :/
BargainLovingMum11/04/2020 22:30

Anyone can be a victim of domestic abuse, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, socio-economic status, sexuality or background.
30 Comments
So sad to hear that so many victims are living in constant fear especially with being on lockdown:(
Mich8ll811/04/2020 22:28

So sad to hear that so many victims are living in constant fear especially …So sad to hear that so many victims are living in constant fear especially with being on lockdown:(

Was truly shocking to hear

Anyone can be a victim of domestic abuse, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, socio-economic status, sexuality or background.
National abuse helpline reported a 20-25% increase in calls. Not a 120% increase. While any form of abuse is abhorrent, Priti does not come across well during these challenging times.
britlad11/04/2020 22:45

National abuse helpline reported a 20-25% increase in calls. Not a 120% …National abuse helpline reported a 20-25% increase in calls. Not a 120% increase. While any form of abuse is abhorrent, Priti does not come across well during these challenging times.

It’s been widely reported as 120% and that’s what said at the press conference today.

theguardian.com/soc…deo

Although the figure 20% to 25% has been put around too.

I put this up so victims can seek help and report.
myusernamehasgone23411/04/2020 22:34

Anyone can be a victim of domestic abuse, regardless of gender, age, …Anyone can be a victim of domestic abuse, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, socio-economic status, sexuality or background.

Anyone? Even people who live alone?
All these percentages are correct, depending on the periods used to calculate the increase.

Source of evidence for 120% increase in the number of calls it received in one 24-hour period. theguardian.com/wor…ppe

Source of evidence for 25% increase, It received hundreds more calls last week compared to two weeks earlierbbc.co.uk/new…620

Source of evidence for 150% compared with the last week in February
news.sky.com/sto…184
splender11/04/2020 23:33

All these percentages are correct, depending on the periods used to …All these percentages are correct, depending on the periods used to calculate the increase.

You might have a point, they can get a bit tetchy during those times.
Alcohol is to be blamed here partly and especially when off licence shops were allowed to open. What are board people gonna do, they can’t party outside either
My dog abuses me who do I call?

Oh it will be the men this time because they are not earning the money
@Willy_Wonka I think you need to settle down.
4 posts in just over 20 minutes.

Whether domestic violence is up 120% or 20%, it is still terrible, terrible news. I just hope the 20% MORE or 120% MORE (as well as all the others that call) get the help they need.

I think you've missed the point completely here :/
aandyr12312/04/2020 03:58

@Willy_Wonka I think you need to settle down. 4 posts in just over 20 …@Willy_Wonka I think you need to settle down. 4 posts in just over 20 minutes. Whether domestic violence is up 120% or 20%, it is still terrible, terrible news. I just hope the 20% MORE or 120% MORE (as well as all the others that call) get the help they need.I think you've missed the point completely here :/

OK so scottish has gone done 20% & englands is up 20% what is the problem. It is not 120%
Domestic abuse and violence does not just instantly appear because of "lockdown". The person has always been like that. Nobody just starts becoming like that after three weeks. They may become worse but it definitely is always there.

When this lifts get out! There are organisations that will help you.

england.shelter.org.uk/hou…use

My mum went to one. I got her there. She didn't like it but helped her get back up. And she is flipping strong but that crap knocks the stuffing out of you. Later helped me up when I was homeless.
Edited by: "xenophon" 12th Apr
Willy_Wonka12/04/2020 03:08

FFS It is a 20% not 120% Reported for facts. I bet this doesn't get …FFS It is a 20% not 120% Reported for facts. I bet this doesn't get deleted.

splender11/04/2020 23:33

All these percentages are correct, depending on the periods used to …All these percentages are correct, depending on the periods used to calculate the increase.Source of evidence for 120% increase in the number of calls it received in one 24-hour period. theguardian.com/wor…ppeSource of evidence for 25% increase, It received hundreds more calls last week compared to two weeks earlier https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52157620 Source of evidence for 150% compared with the last week in Februarynews.sky.com/sto…184

aandyr12312/04/2020 03:58

@Willy_Wonka I think you need to settle down. 4 posts in just over 20 …@Willy_Wonka I think you need to settle down. 4 posts in just over 20 minutes. Whether domestic violence is up 120% or 20%, it is still terrible, terrible news. I just hope the 20% MORE or 120% MORE (as well as all the others that call) get the help they need.I think you've missed the point completely here :/

@Willy_Wonka as @splender has explained
I was simply quoting what has been said at today’s briefing, which appears to correct for a period of time it was up by 120% and general seems to be up by 20%.

The post is not to spread fear but to encourage victims to seek help as @aandyr123 has pointed out you have totally missed the point. The post is to encourage victims to seek help.
Willy_Wonka12/04/2020 03:25

Comment deleted

Your behaviour is disgusting calling out members trying to help people and sending horrid pm’s.
Rubisco11/04/2020 23:31

Possibly even those who live alone if they are been hounded or stalked by ex’s yes.
myusernamehasgone23412/04/2020 08:22

Possibly even those who live alone if they are been hounded or stalked by …Possibly even those who live alone if they are been hounded or stalked by ex’s yes.

This exactly
Me and my missus have been great during this lockdown. Not one argument although she calls me a drunken bum so I just drink more to calm myself down.

It seems to be working so far.

Yep it's about equal
Also Rape against men is another issue we never talk about but we instead laugh at with things like Prison shower jokes
xenophon12/04/2020 06:10

Domestic abuse and violence does not just instantly appear because of …Domestic abuse and violence does not just instantly appear because of "lockdown". The person has always been like that. Nobody just starts becoming like that after three weeks. They may become worse but it definitely is always there.When this lifts get out! There are organisations that will help you.https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness/temporary_housing_if_youre_homeless/refuges_if_youre_a_woman_suffering_from_domestic_abuseMy mum went to one. I got her there. She didn't like it but helped her get back up. And she is flipping strong but that crap knocks the stuffing out of you. Later helped me up when I was homeless.

Funny how all places only help women when men are just equally as victim

Sexism is bad if it's against women, if its against men crickets
Also let's not forget, Male Rape, Prison Sentences, Custody, Child Support, Alimony are all unfair against men, they get screwed over whilst women get special treatment
Women serve less for the same crime
Society laughs when a man gets raped, Prison shower jokes are pretty common, imagine the one getting anally raped was a woman in the prison showers, even worst when it's same sex
Edited by: "Norseg" 12th Apr

Lived next door to a man being abused for years. Problem was he loved the girl and was too stupid to know he was being abused.

The girl of course behaves like a saint in the street - much different than what goes on behind closed doors.
Norseg12/04/2020 12:28

Funny how all places only help women when men are just equally as …Funny how all places only help women when men are just equally as victimSexism is bad if it's against women, if its against men crickets Also let's not forget, Male Rape, Prison Sentences, Custody, Child Support, Alimony are all unfair against men, they get screwed over whilst women get special treatmentWomen serve less for the same crimeSociety laughs when a man gets raped, Prison shower jokes are pretty common, imagine the one getting anally raped was a woman in the prison showers, even worst when it's same sex

mankind.org.uk/hel…se/40390098-h5Xdv.jpg
rapecrisis.org.uk/get…ys/

40390098-MadG0.jpg
myusernamehasgone23412/04/2020 13:28

https://www.mankind.org.uk/help-for-victims/types-of-domestic-abuse/[Image] https://rapecrisis.org.uk/get-help/looking-for-information/support-for-men-and-boys/[Image]

Like i sakd barely anything compared to women's

How many womens shelters compared to mens? Now compare that to the statistics of domestic violence for sexes, its about equal
Maybe even higher for men since a lot of men are afraid to speak out since society laughs at them
Edited by: "Norseg" 12th Apr
Norseg12/04/2020 13:45

Like i sakd barely anything compared to women'sHow many womens shelters …Like i sakd barely anything compared to women'sHow many womens shelters compared to mens? Now compare that to the statistics of domestic violence for sexes, its about equalMaybe even higher for men since a lot of men are afraid to speak out since society laughs at them

Yes

I’ve put the information up for those needing help.
Know a chap down the road. About 60. You would say downtrodden. "'I'm only allowed to drink weekends." "I take the dogs out for a walk and she wants to know who I spoke to." Jeez mate. What can you say? Controlling behaviour.
xenophon12/04/2020 14:25

Know a chap down the road. About 60. You would say downtrodden. "'I'm only …Know a chap down the road. About 60. You would say downtrodden. "'I'm only allowed to drink weekends." "I take the dogs out for a walk and she wants to know who I spoke to." Jeez mate. What can you say? Controlling behaviour.

One thing I learned from living next door to a domestic abuser is to be careful which one of them you believe.
Rubisco11/04/2020 23:31

Yes. Controlling abusive people don't let a simple thing like physical distance stop them. They will continue to try it on. This is why stalking is not something just perpetrated by strangers.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions