Domestic Water and sewage charges

Found 2nd Jan
I've been trying to get this utility bill lowered for a fair while now without success. It's basically a small flat (band a council tax ) and only has 1 loo .1 shower and 2 sinks and only 1 resident .
there is a water meter that the numbers turn every time the water is on but I've been told a number of times by the water provider this isn't a meter so the flats must be billed on a flat rate payable every 6 months
for water and sewage I've been giving them £320 a year which seems very high ? It's been an going saga trying to get them to put it onto a normal meter they even claim to have inspected the meter outside and say it's not a water meter .i should also be entitled to a partial refund as it is very high for the service they pr
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
If it isn't a water meter specific for your flat , you will be still getting charged on the rateable value of your flat . I live on my own on metered water and pay £192 a year , so if there are 2 of you in the flat £320 would seem about right ,if there is just yourself probably £200 should be about the cost .
The next step would be to ask all your neighbours if they pay the same amounts as you and who are their providers. Ifthey do and you’re all unhappy perhaps you could all contact the water providers. If you all pay different amounts to the same supplier then you must be individually metered per flat.
Original Poster
Toptrumpet8 m ago

The next step would be to ask all your neighbours if they pay the same …The next step would be to ask all your neighbours if they pay the same amounts as you and who are their providers. Ifthey do and you’re all unhappy perhaps you could all contact the water providers. If you all pay different amounts to the same supplier then you must be individually metered per flat.

yes I have asked before .apparentley it's worked out by an estimated amount used for the whole building then sub divided accordingly .
its definitely a water meter outside .i don't know how they would ever work out the refund is the thing
Had the same issue when renting a 1 bed flat built in 1980 ish, I was paying 50% more than my mate in the next street who was in a 3 bed built in 1950 ish with wife and 3 kids
If billed by water company look for water sure scheme or water sure plus.
water sure is for water meters and low income.
Water sure plus is for old or disabled people and those with an illness that use more water, claim withEither the water company or council landlord, housing Association give 50% off water bill.
once claimed.
Who is your water company?
Waterside or vulnerable customer tariff may not be relevant as you need to be either have a large family or a certain medical condition and be in receipt of certain benefits.
Original Poster
pikeman_11115 m ago

Who is your water company?

its southern water
You should perhaps formally apply to have a meter fitted. Then if they can’t fit one you can ask to go on the assessed volumetric charge. Which basically is a cheaper charge than rate and value and it’s risky somewhere in between what you pay now and what you would’ve paid on a meter.
i am in a one bedroom flat and my water bill is high but i am on meter,
bigwheels3 h, 2 m ago

Had the same issue when renting a 1 bed flat built in 1980 ish, I was …Had the same issue when renting a 1 bed flat built in 1980 ish, I was paying 50% more than my mate in the next street who was in a 3 bed built in 1950 ish with wife and 3 kidsIf billed by water company look for water sure scheme or water sure plus.water sure is for water meters and low income.Water sure plus is for old or disabled people and those with an illness that use more water, claim withEither the water company or council landlord, housing Association give 50% off water bill.once claimed.

This is great I have a 9 year old with one of the medical conditions on the list I'd never even heard of water sure or water sure plus before. I'm giving them a call tomorrow morning
I'm not on a meter but have been considering it - I think I pay £400 per year for unlimited supply but I don't use a lot, same set up as you described.

It would be good if you could choose but once you have a meter installed you can't go back. And they only go by a vague calculation as to whether you will save money going to a meter or not.
Bigfootpete1 h, 41 m ago

I'm not on a meter but have been considering it - I think I pay £400 per …I'm not on a meter but have been considering it - I think I pay £400 per year for unlimited supply but I don't use a lot, same set up as you described.It would be good if you could choose but once you have a meter installed you can't go back. And they only go by a vague calculation as to whether you will save money going to a meter or not.

You can go back after you have a meter fitted. I think you have 1 year to go back to the standard charge.
But when you move out the new owners are forced to use the water meter.
It depend on which area you are in Some companies allow you to revert back to rateable value charges up to two years after the meter was installed. Others like southern water may not allow it due to their compulsory metering programme. The meter will always be there and if you sell the house the new owners will always be charged on a metered basis.
I’m in the same situation, only with a small child also in the flat (2 bedrooms, band b). I pay £600 a year, so £50 a month and apparently this doesn’t cover what I use. I tried to get unlimited, they told me it’s not an option for me
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants