Donate 2nd hand toys in good condition

Found 18th Nov 2017
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can donate toys, games, books etc that are used but in very good condition?

I'm having a huge clear out before Christmas and would love them to go to families less fortunate. I know I could give them to a charity shop but I think the prices in charity shops are ridiculous now. I want the stuff to go directly to people who can't afford to buy their children many presents and I don't want to just chuck them in the bin.

I'm in SE London and have tried looking online but most places want new stuff with tags on or boxed.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

That's a great idea, do you have a local freegle or freecycle in your area ? You could put ads on notice boards/ shop windows. If there is a salvation army charity they would take them or a woman's/family refuge would really appreciate them too.

What about a local hospital? Could they use the toys in the children's wards? Any children homes nearby aswell?

Original Poster

loumar765 m ago

That's a great idea, do you have a local freegle or freecycle in your …That's a great idea, do you have a local freegle or freecycle in your area ? You could put ads on notice boards/ shop windows. If there is a salvation army charity they would take them or a woman's/family refuge would really appreciate them too.

I've looked at the Salvation Army and they are mainly looking for new items as well. We have about 6 black sacks full of cuddly toys that are in great condition. A lot have come from holidays and days out that they never play with afterwards.

I've not heard of freegle so will check that out, thanks :-)

Looks like a lot of women's refuges don't take donations as they don't have the space to store them.

I think I'll end up spending most of tomorrow phoning round to see if anyone will accept them.

Best bet is ask at a food bank. Freecycle and Freegle is full of chancers. Don’t get me wrong there are genuine people but a good few take the widdle.

Original Poster

Oneday774 m ago

Best bet is ask at a food bank. Freecycle and Freegle is full of chancers. …Best bet is ask at a food bank. Freecycle and Freegle is full of chancers. Don’t get me wrong there are genuine people but a good few take the widdle.

Yes that's what I was thinking, asking food banks.

I've not used freecycle or freegle before but the question is always who is really in genuine need and not just looking for a freebie.

Facebook local free site? You will never know tho if they go to a needy family.

Original Poster

plumberman011 m ago

Facebook local free site? You will never know tho if they go to a needy …Facebook local free site? You will never know tho if they go to a needy family.

I don't have a Facebook account and none of my family do either :-( Thanks for the suggestion though.

From my experience, hospitals won’t accept them due to H&S.
Local baby / children’s groups might.
Aside from this, you could always donate to a charity shop?

Original Poster

ktm6669 m ago

From my experience, hospitals won’t accept them due to H&S. Local baby / c …From my experience, hospitals won’t accept them due to H&S. Local baby / children’s groups might.Aside from this, you could always donate to a charity shop?

I did think about hospitals but again thought they wouldn't take them due to H&S.

My only concern with charity shops is that they often seem to put ridiculous prices on things. Items that you used to be able to get for a couple of pounds are now easily double/triple the cost. As a last resort I will donate to the charity shop as I'd rather that than send them to landfill.

When I donate stuff, I give it to our local cancer charity, because they hold a jumble sale and sell everything for 30 - 50p. So it does go to people that really need it and isn't sold for rip off prices like in a charity shop.

Perhaps you could see if there is a similar jumble sale in your area?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants