Don’t buy from Carphone Warehouse

Found 10th Mar
If you see any deals on here from Carphone Warehouse where the deal is to get the device and then cancel the airtime contract don’t bother as they are giving me a load of grief and won’t cancel the Vodafone airtime contract.
Community Updates
Misc
17 Comments
deleted1166706
Could you tell us a little bit more? Perhaps even a lot? Go nuts.
Are you thinking if O2 refresh? I wasn't aware of Vodafone doing similar?

Edit have just read the deal you are referring too
Edited by: "Mandz27" 10th Mar
You need to cancel the sim via Vodafone under the 14 day cooling off period.When I did this it took 3 or 4 calls before I spoke to an adviser who knew what to do(they tried to tell me to cancel via cpw).I also had a deal with 02 and they were no better at cancelling the sim.
yeah, O2 are definitely better at cancelling than Vodafone but they shouldn't deny you the right to cancel within the 14 day cooling off period or if you were to give them 30 day notice paying for 1 month only. Remember, the airtime contract and handset are 2 different purchases. You do not need to get in touch with CPW about cancelling the Vodafone contract
Consider yourself lucky you didn't consider buying a phone from O2. They think it's okay to take your money before you have agreed to buy anything.
I recently purchased a phone and sim from CPW - I didn't purchase the sim free and sim only plan, so trying that method might get a different result. But I only took out a 30 day sim. I actually wanted to take the phone back - I'd seen it cheaper elsewhere.

But based on discussion on this forum, I assumed I was meant to contact EE and cancel the sim and then return the phone. However, I contacted EE and they asked if the sim had been purchased 'third party' and if it had been I needed to contact them - they refused to cancel the sim.

I took both back to the store and everything was fine, however, it seemed to me more difficult to 'just cancel' the sim contact then many people imply.
Woah didn’t expect so many responses so quickly - as I can’t sleep because of this here is what I know have been told - saw this deal of here somewhere and in the comments someone said they cancelled the contract within the 2 week cooling off period (which expired on Friday for me), but thought I’d double check with cpw webchat.
Transcript before purchase:
Zimkita: Hello Sam, welcome to Carphone Warehouse. Are you looking for a contract or outright payment?
sam: it’s £459 with a sim only contract with vodaphone is that correct
Zimkita: Yes that is correct.
sam: ok so I can cancel the vodaphone contract after - as the original £459 is to cover the cost of the device?
sam: and the sim only contract is £30 p/m
sam: same as O2 do with their airtime contracts
Zimkita: Yes that is correct.
So I went ahead and made the purchase once I received everything in the post I phoned cpw first to cancel the simo contract - they aid to contact Vodafone - so I did and they said they can’t cancel contracts taken out by third parties and that cpw have to cancel it - back to cpw and they said they can only cancel the whole deal & I just didn’t want this contract so I said fine and took it all back to the store, but they found a tiny scratch on the back (prob from being in a case) so refused refund and refused to cancel contract. So now I’m stuck with a 12 month simo contract - I even offered to just pay the extra £100 and be done with it, but was told by their social team that they can’t do that either!!!!
deleted1166706
heroicsatsuma7 h, 13 m ago

So I went ahead and made the purchase once I received everything in the …So I went ahead and made the purchase once I received everything in the post I phoned cpw first to cancel the simo contract - they aid to contact Vodafone - so I did and they said they can’t cancel contracts taken out by third parties and that cpw have to cancel it - back to cpw and they said they can only cancel the whole deal & I just didn’t want this contract so I said fine and took it all back to the store, but they found a tiny scratch on the back (prob from being in a case) so refused refund and refused to cancel contract. So now I’m stuck with a 12 month simo contract - I even offered to just pay the extra £100 and be done with it, but was told by their social team that they can’t do that either!!!!

That scratch could have already been on the device which is why you’re rejecting the whole lot within the cooling off period. It might also have poor battery life which means you really don’t want a replacement and would like to return the whole lot. It might be faulty
deleted1166706
If doing the above add more pressure by taking in the chat transcript showing it was misold anyway. You could just send it back if you had it delivered, return it as faulty
Edited by: "deleted1166706" 11th Mar
By the sounds of things you have gone through the hurdles of the correct processes of cancelling your contract but they are denying your rights.

I would take it a step further and email the CEO TEAM who should resolve your issue. More importantly is send in your transcript to prove you been Mis sold.
I did this yesterday with a Moto X4 but with the O2 1 month sim only. Took 5 mins on the phone with O2 to cancel the sim under the 14 day cooling off period. I had no contact with CPW.
hmm....it feels like when you're honest and say that you bought the phone and contract via 'a third party' - it doesn't work in your favour. I wasn't clear if EE knew I bought my phone/contract third party - they asked and I told them - it was then that they refused - makes you regret being honest at times.
Took a while but it all got sorted using resolver.co.uk - bit of hassle though with quite a few phone calls - finally closure.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants