Don't change your piggy-bank change at Coinstar. Use self service machines instead for zero commision

Found 26th Feb 2014
Hi all.

Sure some of you will already know this tip and I've been doing it for a while but I thought I'd share for those that aren't aware.

Instead of changing your piggy-bank/loose change at the Coinstar machines (9%) or faffing about counting it in to bags to give to the bank, use the self-service machines at Morrisons (or anywhere that has the conveyor belts).

You just need to purchase 1 item and tip the change in to the hole. The machine will count the whole lot but give you the excess change in notes.

I've just bought a Coke Zero for £1.25, gave the machine £26.71 in 1p, 2p, 5p, 20p, 50p coins and it gave me £20 note, £5 note and 46p in change. Takes about 30 seconds to do and has no commision.

I can upload receipt later if people want proof etc.
Community Updates
Misc
26 Comments
No flies on you ;-)
Excellent.
Not really a deal. I do this anyway? Surely if your use a coin star your a mug haha.

HSBC for example has a coin sorter that puts it in your account.

HSBC Coin INFO
Sycric

Not really a deal. I do this anyway? Surely if your use a coin star your … Not really a deal. I do this anyway? Surely if your use a coin star your a mug haha.HSBC for example has a coin sorter that puts it in your account.HSBC Coin INFO

Ah its moved now
Mmmmm and the coke was free too !!
I'd expect that to be fixed although I can't see how they could.

If they say you can't pay more than a certain % of total cost they would have to refuse a £20 note to pay for your £1.25 coke and that is never going to happen.

Edited by: "dontasciime" 26th Feb 2014
dontasciime

expect that to be fixed

Been doing this for years so I doubt it.

By the way, how is this not a deal but this is? hotukdeals.com/dea…487
Honest question.
Edited by: "Davey_T" 26th Feb 2014
dontasciime

expect that to be fixed although I can't see how they can

they pay to get bags of coins for change so will suit them
though i guess they could try squeezing a bit more
Davey_T

Been doing this for years so I doubt it.By the way, how is this not a … Been doing this for years so I doubt it.By the way, how is this not a deal but this is? http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/three-free-4g-upgrade-from-december-1643487Honest question.

For years
Ive been doing this for ages!

Literally emptied all the change in my wallet into the self service machines to get 'nicer' money out (e.g pound coins)
Lol. . great find
I avoid the coinstar machines because of the commission as well but never thought of tipping it all into the self service till. Excellent tip, thanks op.
I've got a huge old whisky bottle nearly full do you think Morrison's would allow that
Imagine the looks on the faces of the people in the queue behind you X)
Great tip Davey_T thanks for sharing.
stefromuk

I've got a huge old whisky bottle nearly full do you think Morrison's … I've got a huge old whisky bottle nearly full do you think Morrison's would allow that

I did this.....to my eternal shame and shall never do such a ridiculous thing again in all my life...

The machine rejected about £15 worth of coins, which I had to reinsert, my Daughter was stood of the side of me cringing, my Wife walked out a quarter of the way through and didn't speak to me for the rest of the day.

My first advice is, don't do it.....Secondly,if you really need to, don't do it on a Saturday afternoon like I did .. oO

Even the tramps felt embarrassed for me, waiting patiently to buy their white lightning....

My in-store purchase equated to roughly 7% ... coinstar all the way now
i use coinstar but I am bone idle and don't have Morrisons nearby! CBA going to bank with a load of shrapnel, they look at you like dirt unless it is going into a kid's account in the bank. I like the coinstar, I buy a treat with whatever I put in, but it has never been more than £3!!
ive done this, do it on an evening, when its quiet, luckily i had staff that understood why
Davey_T

gave the machine £26.71 in 1p, 2p, 5p, 20p, 50p coins and it gave me £20 n … gave the machine £26.71 in 1p, 2p, 5p, 20p, 50p coins and it gave me £20 note, £5 note and 46p in change.

What's the point if it's gonna give you a load of shrapnel back?
vics219

Imagine the looks on the faces of the people in the queue behind you X)

http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/sep2012/father_jack_large.jpg
Cheers OP, will use this method now for getting rid of all the shrapnel I seem to accumulate!
RBS banks have them in their branches, and money goes right into your account. I use it quite a lot
I had a problem with my bank card a few weeks ago so couldn't access my account but needed a few things like bread, milk etc. so went to my local Morrisons with my change jar (an old jam jar) and tried using my change to pay for about £5 worth of shopping but the woman supervising the self service tills told me I wasn't allowed to put that much change in and that I'd have to use the coin star machine. Luckily I was having trouble hearing her and at the same moment, tipped the entire jar into the coin input area and it had already started counting my money into the till. She looked really p****d off and said I was not to do that again in the future or she'd take the matter further next time. Normally I would have questioned her as to why I wasn't allowed to pay for my shopping with legal tender but I was in such a crappy mood after spending most of the morning on the phone to the bank that I just gathered my things and left. They must be unhappy about losing out on their cut of the commission from the coin star machine or something
jamie60509

I had a problem with my bank card a few weeks ago so couldn't access my … I had a problem with my bank card a few weeks ago so couldn't access my account but needed a few things like bread, milk etc. so went to my local Morrisons with my change jar (an old jam jar) and tried using my change to pay for about £5 worth of shopping but the woman supervising the self service tills told me I wasn't allowed to put that much change in and that I'd have to use the coin star machine. Luckily I was having trouble hearing her and at the same moment, tipped the entire jar into the coin input area and it had already started counting my money into the till. She looked really p****d off and said I was not to do that again in the future or she'd take the matter further next time. Normally I would have questioned her as to why I wasn't allowed to pay for my shopping with legal tender but I was in such a crappy mood after spending most of the morning on the phone to the bank that I just gathered my things and left. They must be unhappy about losing out on their cut of the commission from the coin star machine or something

next time tell her to get back under her bridge

I did not know about this thanks

does it work in Tesco? when I do most of my shopping late at night, the auto tills are the only ones on
jamie60509

I had a problem with my bank card a few weeks ago so couldn't access my … I had a problem with my bank card a few weeks ago so couldn't access my account but needed a few things like bread, milk etc. so went to my local Morrisons with my change jar (an old jam jar) and tried using my change to pay for about £5 worth of shopping but the woman supervising the self service tills told me I wasn't allowed to put that much change in and that I'd have to use the coin star machine. Luckily I was having trouble hearing her and at the same moment, tipped the entire jar into the coin input area and it had already started counting my money into the till. She looked really p****d off and said I was not to do that again in the future or she'd take the matter further next time. Normally I would have questioned her as to why I wasn't allowed to pay for my shopping with legal tender but I was in such a crappy mood after spending most of the morning on the phone to the bank that I just gathered my things and left. They must be unhappy about losing out on their cut of the commission from the coin star machine or something

I'm not supporting her in any way but from the royal mint website: royalmint.com/abo…nes

It may explain why she had the hump.

50p - for any amount not exceeding £10

20p - for any amount not exceeding £10

10p - for any amount not exceeding £5

5p - for any amount not exceeding £5

2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p
Edited by: "krazie2004" 27th Feb 2014
£1.25 for a Coke Zero?

Post a comment
@
    Text