Don't close your apps ... according to Apple

Posted 25th Feb
According to the technology giant, getting shut of all the apps that are open, which seems like a good idea, could end up making them take longer to load and slowly causing the phone to slow down.

The false belief that less apps means longer battery life comes from the misconception that apps which appear on the 'carousel' are actually running.

They're not. They're just frozen so that they don't take up any extra resources from the device while you do whatever else it is you're doing.

John Gruber, a gadget-focused journalist, wrote on his blog Daring Fireball: "Apps in the background are effectively 'frozen', severely limiting what they can do in the background and freeing up the RAM they were using. iOS is really, really good at this.

"It is so good at this that unfreezing a frozen app takes up way less CPU (and energy) than relaunching an app that had been force quit.

"Not only does force quitting your apps not help, it actually hurts. Your battery life will be worse and it will take much longer to switch apps if you force quit apps in the background."

ladbible.com/new…tml
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
I was reading that this morning but I can’t help closing my apps. I like to tidy up and leaving them open bugs me lol.
10 Comments
I was reading that this morning but I can’t help closing my apps. I like to tidy up and leaving them open bugs me lol.
XSerenityX25/02/2020 17:11

I was reading that this morning but I can’t help closing my apps. I like t …I was reading that this morning but I can’t help closing my apps. I like to tidy up and leaving them open bugs me lol.

Me too. I'm going to give this a try, but I'm not really expecting much difference.
This has been the case since forever, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was one of those totally unresearched and untested 'it stands to reason' optimisation tips that started it, rather than any actual test results or manufacturer recommendations.
I would use Apple's tip, apple.com/uk/…ce/
scroll a bit down on this page, then you see this statement from Apple: "This indicates that the battery was used by the app while it was in the background — that is, while you were using another app....then you can test if the so-called "frozen" apps did or did not use battery/
i have a few apps that need hard resetting every so often as they tend to not like being opened fresh when running, some of the time at least
Yet when I pick up the iPad after the niece and nephew have opened tens of games on it without closing them, it runs sluggish. Closing them brings it back to normal speeds so I’m not sure how true this really is as it isn’t from my own experience.
Biddy225/02/2020 18:45

Yet when I pick up the iPad after the niece and nephew have opened tens of …Yet when I pick up the iPad after the niece and nephew have opened tens of games on it without closing them, it runs sluggish. Closing them brings it back to normal speeds so I’m not sure how true this really is as it isn’t from my own experience.

Exactly I could create a video showing how badly it effects the performance but I don't have the time for that.
I don’t believe this.

The apps can’t be frozen.

Run the Garmin app in the background - it still syncs via Bluetooth and connects watch apps to the internet. If closed, it does neither of these things.

Run the Alexa app, you can shout Alexa wherever you are and the phone acts as an Alexa. If closed it doesn’t.

Other examples out there too.

The apps certainly don’t appear frozen. They run in the background. And as they’re taking up processing power (they have to, to work) then that’s using battery power.

I wouldn’t want them frozen either. The multitasking on a modern handset means I can use such features as above.
MrSmallBear25/02/2020 20:46

I don’t believe this. The apps can’t be frozen. Run the Garmin app in the b …I don’t believe this. The apps can’t be frozen. Run the Garmin app in the background - it still syncs via Bluetooth and connects watch apps to the internet. If closed, it does neither of these things. Run the Alexa app, you can shout Alexa wherever you are and the phone acts as an Alexa. If closed it doesn’t. Other examples out there too. The apps certainly don’t appear frozen. They run in the background. And as they’re taking up processing power (they have to, to work) then that’s using battery power. I wouldn’t want them frozen either. The multitasking on a modern handset means I can use such features as above.

Exactly. the amount of times I have suddenly heard google maps telling me to "turn left at the next junction" when I am already parked and walked to wherever I am going.
Some people have a gazillion apps on their phone so this makes it impractical to use the swap button.
Also if you have all your apps loaded then use use more memory.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants