Don’t forget about the Amazon employees on Prime Day

Found 16th Jul
I hear lots of stories about employees for Amazon who have to go through extreme hardship and difficulty during their working hours. Some delivery van drivers are being forced to pee on bottles to keep productivity up, others do a 3 man’s job and still receive less than minimum wage, while some sleep outside the warehouse to get to their next shift on time.

Workers over the world are showing solidarity by going on strike and today is the last day. Prime Day should remind you of those workers, not just in the UK, who suffer and are being exploited.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
More fool them then...
Get a better quality of job then I say.
stefromuk25 m ago

More fool them then...Get a better quality of job then I say.

34373647-2txYJ.jpg
50 Comments
More fool them then...
Get a better quality of job then I say.
Agree with the Op. Saw a documentary that Ambulance visits are a common place on Amazon Warehouses

Good reminder op.
stefromuk25 m ago

More fool them then...Get a better quality of job then I say.

34373647-2txYJ.jpg
Oh well life goes on, Can't see anyone on here passing up on a bargain from amazon no matter what anyone writes about the company.
Never in recent years have I had dpd deliver my goods from amazon.
Edited by: "fearona" 16th Jul
fearona4 m ago

Oh well life goes on, Can't see anyone on here passing up on a bargain …Oh well life goes on, Can't see anyone on here passing up on a bargain from amazon no matter what anyone writes about the company.

I thought they were posting to say to treat the customer service team and delivery staff with respect given how hard this is for them right now, though this wasn't explicitly said I thought that was the reason for posting as opposed to a random guilt trip about "people have it worse than you so be grateful"
Felicitous1 m ago

I thought they were posting to say to treat the customer service team and …I thought they were posting to say to treat the customer service team and delivery staff with respect given how hard this is for them right now, though this wasn't explicitly said I thought that was the reason for posting as opposed to a random guilt trip about "people have it worse than you so be grateful"

"Workers over the world are showing solidarity by going on strike and today is the last day. Prime Day should remind you of those workers, not just in the UK, who suffer and are being exploited"
You would expect decent British managers to whistleblow their bosses of the harsh conditions when people died or became exhausted or given birth in the toilet...

For what it's worth gov.uk/whi…ing
Edited by: "splender" 16th Jul
fearona12 m ago

Oh well life goes on, Can't see anyone on here passing up on a bargain …Oh well life goes on, Can't see anyone on here passing up on a bargain from amazon no matter what anyone writes about the company.Never in recent years have I had dpd deliver my goods from amazon.

it isn't just Amazon, they are all at it. The bad conditions exist in most warehouses and delivery services.
One of those reports highlighted is about Foxconn
Foxconn also manufactures for Apple, Microsoft, Dell, HP, Google, Acer, Intel, Cisco and others.
The conditions are appalling, but it seems a little odd to focus on Amazon.
theguardian.com/tec…zos
splender3 m ago

it isn't just Amazon, they are all at it. The bad conditions exist in …it isn't just Amazon, they are all at it. The bad conditions exist in most warehouses and delivery services.

So don't buy products from Apple, Microsoft, Dell, HP, Google, Acer, Intel, Cisco, amazon etc the list is endless.
Personal choice.
fearona4 m ago

So don't buy products from Apple, Microsoft, Dell, HP, Google, Acer, …So don't buy products from Apple, Microsoft, Dell, HP, Google, Acer, Intel, Cisco, amazon etc the list is endless.Personal choice.

Buy from Scandinavia, Switzerland, France , Australia, NZ, Canada, South Korea, Taiwan , Japan and Germany etc..
So we have gone from amazon prime to sports direct now lol
Just to add, and to make it clear I am no Mike ashley lover.
"The company lodged a complaint with the BBC Trust arguing that there was “no proper basis” for including a reference to the warehouse toilet birth, and that the BBC misled the audience by implying that it was an example of someone turning up to work when they were unfit to do so.

The BBC Trust’s editorial standards committee agreed that some viewers may have made the connection between the birth incident and pressure to turn up at work but said that the incident was “factually accurate”.
splender10 m ago

Buy from Scandinavia, Switzerland, France , Australia, NZ, Canada and …Buy from Scandinavia, Switzerland, France , Australia, NZ, Canada and Germany etc..

So by whom and where are their products manufactured?
Apple microsoft etc
fearona8 m ago

So by whom and where are their their products manufactured?Apple …So by whom and where are their their products manufactured?Apple microsoft etc

Many things will be unavoidable, so use as few as possible.
splender44 s ago

Many things will be unavoidable, so use as few as possible.

Ah I see you have ran out of ideas.
fearona4 m ago

Ah I see you have ran out of ideas.

I have, but they are banned here.
splender5 m ago

I have, but they are banned here.

Always speak your mind, if it is honest you won't be banned.
fearona1 h, 0 m ago

Always speak your mind, if it is honest you won't be banned.

regulation in conjunction with unions (or continental work council or new statutory definition of body corporate representing workers health, well-being and safety) empowered to use data analytics on work rates with medical advice plus publication of "not-to-exceed" work rates using data analytics on work rates already captured by big companies in monitoring and maximising productivity and performance statistics

Amazon UK has been accused of treating staff like robots as it emerged that ambulances had been called out 600 times to the online retailer’s UK warehouses in the past three years. (May 2018 news)
A Freedom of Information request to ambulance services from the GMB union revealed 115 call-outs to Amazon’s site in Rugeley, near Birmingham, including three relating to pregnancy or maternity problems and three for major trauma.

....That compares to only eight calls in total to a nearby Tesco warehouse of a similar physical size and where about 1,300 people work, over the same period, according to another FOI request by the union.

The above article has a most bizarre, twisted and abusive use of mathematics, , "...ambulance visits at our UK fulfilment centres last year was 0.00001 per worked hour, which is dramatically low.”

Why, this is an obscene, unjust, and immoral use of maths?
Suppose that I work 1,800 hours per year, I work 20 years, so it is 36,000 hours.In one hour I am asked to do a job that is risky and ends up ambulanced to a hospital and dies. It is no bloody use to me and my family when a bit of maths says, Splender dies in the 1/36,000 th = 0.000028th of his total worked hours. He would otherwise be alive! The plain old simple truth, Splender is dead. The question is why and how he dies, nothing to do with that blooming 0.000028 miniscule mathematically calculated number. This is because the cause of my death has no mathematical relationship to my total hours worked in cause and effect. Likewise, in Amazon UK, the causes of people who went to hospital have no mathematical relationship to the total hours worked in "cause and effect" (unless Amazon has statistical data that links cause (hours worked) to the effect (going to hospital) and has total hours worked as the only factor).
shabbird2 h, 23 m ago

Agree with the Op. Saw a documentary that Ambulance visits are a common …Agree with the Op. Saw a documentary that Ambulance visits are a common place on Amazon Warehouses Good reminder op.

Which documentary? Interested in watching that!
Xboxgamer32122 m ago

Which documentary? Interested in watching that!

There you go. Think its this one. You can read the comments on youtube which says
this still happens now.

I bet most of the staff (warehouse and drivers) are foreigners, so if they don't like it and can't find other work they can always go back to their own countries. But then we will have staff shortages since these sort of jobs are below young British people.
Bring out the violin, oh you need to buy a violin, no problem just order one from Amazon!
You reap what you sow.
During 90's and 00's I used to work 70 hours a week minimum and though I never pee'd in a bottle because there's such a thing as trees and lay-bys for that I did end up having to clear my bowels on to a newspaper in the back of my van/lorry when there was nowhere else to go on a number of occasions.

I had to go through a fair bit of extreme hardship and difficulty during that period myself, especially when clients with far more dough than we had didn't pay their dues till weeks, sometimes months, after they were meant to.

Nobody ever started standing in solidarity with me or my partner, but it is what it is so welcome to self employed land.
splender2 h, 52 m ago

regulation in conjunction with unions (or continental work council or new …regulation in conjunction with unions (or continental work council or new statutory definition of body corporate representing workers health, well-being and safety) empowered to use data analytics on work rates with medical advice plus publication of "not-to-exceed" work rates using data analytics on work rates already captured by big companies in monitoring and maximising productivity and performance statisticsAmazon UK has been accused of treating staff like robots as it emerged that ambulances had been called out 600 times to the online retailer’s UK warehouses in the past three years. (May 2018 news)A Freedom of Information request to ambulance services from the GMB union revealed 115 call-outs to Amazon’s site in Rugeley, near Birmingham, including three relating to pregnancy or maternity problems and three for major trauma.....That compares to only eight calls in total to a nearby Tesco warehouse of a similar physical size and where about 1,300 people work, over the same period, according to another FOI request by the union.The above article has a most bizarre, twisted and abusive use of mathematics, , "...ambulance visits at our UK fulfilment centres last year was 0.00001 per worked hour, which is dramatically low.”Why, this is an obscene, unjust, and immoral use of maths? Suppose that I work 1,800 hours per year, I work 20 years, so it is 36,000 hours.In one hour I am asked to do a job that is risky and ends up ambulanced to a hospital and dies. It is no bloody use to me and my family when a bit of maths says, Splender dies in the 1/36,000 th = 0.000028th of his total worked hours. He would otherwise be alive! The plain old simple truth, Splender is dead. The question is why and how he dies, nothing to do with that blooming 0.000028 miniscule mathematically calculated number. This is because the cause of my death has no mathematical relationship to my total hours worked in cause and effect. Likewise, in Amazon UK, the causes of people who went to hospital have no mathematical relationship to the total hours worked in "cause and effect" (unless Amazon has statistical data that links cause (hours worked) to the effect (going to hospital) and has total hours worked as the only factor).

Spam spam and more spam
shabbird1 h, 5 m ago

There you go. Think its this one. You can read the comments on youtube …There you go. Think its this one. You can read the comments on youtube which says this still happens now. [Video]

Thanks
I thought amazon was swapping out people for robots.
fearona3 h, 32 m ago

Spam spam and more spam

Exactly, spam x3

They spam,
I spam,
You spam here = spam, spam spam
666FU4 h, 41 m ago

I bet most of the staff (warehouse and drivers) are foreigners, so if they …I bet most of the staff (warehouse and drivers) are foreigners, so if they don't like it and can't find other work they can always go back to their own countries. But then we will have staff shortages since these sort of jobs are below young British people.

Jobs are never below young British men, because of market forces, supply and demand.

When there are no foreigners to wipe your behind for £8/hr.
Then there are young British people to wipe your behind for £30/hr.
If not enough for them, supply and demand rules, £100/hr will get MSc Wipe Behind qualified.
Agree totally op.
Ordered a few things today but put them on no rush delivery. Unless it's medical reasons or a late birthday or similar no one needs next day delivery. Ppl want everything yesterday.
jimmy_the_fridge2 h, 13 m ago

Agree totally op.Ordered a few things today but put them on no rush …Agree totally op.Ordered a few things today but put them on no rush delivery. Unless it's medical reasons or a late birthday or similar no one needs next day delivery. Ppl want everything yesterday.

Depends on how desperate you are for the item. If it's a part to fix your washing machine or Hoover then you want it quickly. There's a premium on prime products for this reason. Prime delivery is what separates amazon from ebay and keeps a lot of Amazon workers in a job. Prime in itself isn't an issue, shortage of workforce is.
Have a friend who was associated with Amazon, told me how they treated their staff - made a.moral judgement and voted with my wallet - I don't "preach" to others, just don't shop there anymore
splender8 h, 50 m ago

Jobs are never below young British men, because of market forces, supply …Jobs are never below young British men, because of market forces, supply and demand.When there are no foreigners to wipe your behind for £8/hr.Then there are young British people to wipe your behind for £30/hr.If not enough for them, supply and demand rules, £100/hr will get MSc Wipe Behind qualified.

Rubbish when the workforce costs to much the work will move abroad.
fearona16 h, 14 m ago

Oh well life goes on, Can't see anyone on here passing up on a bargain …Oh well life goes on, Can't see anyone on here passing up on a bargain from amazon no matter what anyone writes about the company.Never in recent years have I had dpd deliver my goods from amazon.

DPD are delivering me something today from Amazon. It’s not common by any means, but I do get the odd item delivered by them.
666FU23 m ago

Rubbish when the workforce costs to much the work will move abroad.

the behinds need to go abroad too to get wiped, I doubt it
Boycott everyone everywhere.

Apple
Google
Amazon
HP
anything made in russia
anything made in China.

Evil is everywhere and I need to buy bargains from somewhere....
Was about to make this "just remember how Amazon workers are treated" post but you beat me to it by 22 hours 😄

i rarely shop with Amazon, I dont even have Prime so didnt even check the sale yesterday, but i did get a few emails from places like Anker with some 'Prime deals'

honestly, more power to the people who choose to shop elswhere because they dont want to support companies who treat their workers like crap and to workers who are on strike. Such a shame we choose cheap deals over whats morally right (myself included) 😔
I don't know what the OP is moaning about.
I ordered something yesterday and it isn't even being delivered until tomorrow, instead of today.
Those lazy workshy fops have had extra day to get the orders out.
Crack the whip Mr Bezos
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants