Don't Forget To Transfer Your Google Music Purchases to YouTube Music

Posted 10th Aug
Google Music is closing before the end of the year.

Make sure you transfer all your purchases and play lists and what not so you don't lose them!

Official Announcement:

Google Play Music is going away soon

YouTube Music is replacing Google Play Music as your new destination for music listening and discovery. Between October and the end of this year, access to Google Play Music will be removed permanently. We know that you've spent time building your Google Play Music library, so we've made it easy to transfer your music library to YouTube Music with just one click, including playlists, uploads and recommendations.

If you haven't tried YouTube Music yet, you'll notice that it looks a bit different from Google Play Music, but know that it was built by the same team with the same passion. It also offers more than 65 million official songs, albums and playlists, as well as many features that you love and expect from Google Play Music
Community Updates
14 Comments
Anybody know if you can upload your own MP3 tracks on YouTube Music like you can on Play Music?
tariqkhan10/08/2020 15:19

Anybody know if you can upload your own MP3 tracks on YouTube Music like …Anybody know if you can upload your own MP3 tracks on YouTube Music like you can on Play Music?

I'd like to know the same

Anybody know if you can upload your own MP3 tracks on YouTube Music like …Anybody know if you can upload your own MP3 tracks on YouTube Music like you can on Play Music?

You can I think, it allowed me to transfer my uploads from Google play music.
xZEDx10/08/2020 15:42

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/06/09/hands-on-youtube-music-upload/Seems like it's a PoS compared to play music😩

It is. I've tried to use it, but it's much worse. Looks more complicated, you loose the sleep timer, and for your uploads it lists all songs from an artist in one big list, instead of organising them in Albums in play music.

I'm looking elsewhere for my music player now, it annoys me that Google made a decent service with play music and then to scrap it for a worse one.

Yes. Done a few albums so far.
That's exactly what I thought. Thanks for comparing.

Another issue is with BMW iDrive system. The track info does not work with pixel phones, but it does with samsungs, iPhones, etc. Except when using Google play. Google needs to sort out all there issues before forcing people to move to software that is worse.
RadiantDuck10/08/2020 15:58

It is. I've tried to use it, but it's much worse. Looks more complicated, …It is. I've tried to use it, but it's much worse. Looks more complicated, you loose the sleep timer, and for your uploads it lists all songs from an artist in one big list, instead of organising them in Albums in play music.I'm looking elsewhere for my music player now, it annoys me that Google made a decent service with play music and then to scrap it for a worse one.

You can still get albums - but try finding them?

Also, in terms of the app on your mobile devices, if you're streaming music you need to use a paid subscription, otherwise the music stops when your screen is off. On the other hand, aiui, music stored locally can still be listened to.
RadiantDuck10/08/2020 15:58

It is. I've tried to use it, but it's much worse. Looks more complicated, …It is. I've tried to use it, but it's much worse. Looks more complicated, you loose the sleep timer, and for your uploads it lists all songs from an artist in one big list, instead of organising them in Albums in play music.I'm looking elsewhere for my music player now, it annoys me that Google made a decent service with play music and then to scrap it for a worse one.

I use Omnia on my Android, and clementine on my desktop - but in both cases, I'm old school, and have the music stored locally.
alg10/08/2020 16:14

I use Omnia on my Android, and clementine on my desktop - but in both …I use Omnia on my Android, and clementine on my desktop - but in both cases, I'm old school, and have the music stored locally.

I like to locally store my music too. I've moved to Poweramp, but the f I don't get on I'll check out the ones you suggested!
alg10/08/2020 16:13

You can still get albums - but try finding them?Also, in terms of the app …You can still get albums - but try finding them?Also, in terms of the app on your mobile devices, if you're streaming music you need to use a paid subscription, otherwise the music stops when your screen is off. On the other hand, aiui, music stored locally can still be listened to.

Sorry I don't think I was explaining myself properly in play music if you clicked on an artist it would then have all the album's separated, as well as an option to list all their songs. While YouTube music if you try to to an artist just lists all the songs. Not as handy .
RadiantDuck10/08/2020 16:26

Sorry I don't think I was explaining myself properly in play music if you …Sorry I don't think I was explaining myself properly in play music if you clicked on an artist it would then have all the album's separated, as well as an option to list all their songs. While YouTube music if you try to to an artist just lists all the songs. Not as handy .

Nope, I knew exactly what you mean.

However, just tried it, and can now see some uploaded albums - admittedly, for example I did a search for Nik Kershaw, and it doesn't show all the albums, but that's still better than it was. Would still prefer the Play Music interface though, and also the search to prioritise your library rather than the other content.
Is there any other comparable service with Google Music available elsewhere?
Annoying lose background music purchases playback when GPM goes!!!!
(Not coughing-up for YTM, so not worth migrating)

They should keep a basic player for digital purchases.

Is purchased music wiped off your memory card (offline playback)

USING 'Google Takeout' to download GPM purchases, so tidily grouped together. (have back-ups already in couple places)
Edited by: "ChuckTheDuck" 11th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text