Groups

'Don't Get Screwed' on BBC3

I just caught the tail end of a programme called "Don't Get Screwed" on BBC3 and then sped-watched the rest of it on the BBC iPlayer. It's rather informative and deals with consumer rights, a topic close to the hearts of most who use this board!

The episode presented 3 scenarios and explained what your consumer rights were in each one. They were:

Q: If you break something in a shop that has a sign saying "All breakages must be paid for", do you have to pay?
    A: If you admit liability you have to pay for the wholesale cost, not the retail cost. If you think it wasn't your fault then it is up to the shop to prove it was. (Leave your name & contact details)

Q: If you leave your jacket in a cloakroom and it gets damaged, are you entitled to compensation?
    A: Yes. If you leave your possessions for someone else to take care of and they are damaged then you can say they weren't taken proper care of and you can claim for the cost of the item.

Q: If you buy something an item that turns out to be a mis-price, is the shop able to take it back or charge you the extra?
    A: No. If the transaction has been completed and monies have changed hands then a contract exists and the seller will be in breach if they do not let you have it. However, if the money has not yet been exchanged then the seller does not have to sell it at the advertised price.

I think we all already knew that last one but the top two were news to me

The next episode is on at 8:30 on Monday

24 Comments

Many thanks - a topic we all need to know more about !

Thanks, didn't catch this 1st program in the series but it will be repeated at 02.35 on Sunday morning.

Saw that, knew all of them except the quick question - if you buy a pet and it dies after a week, you can get a refund! I didnt think you would be able to, whats to say you didnt kill it???

After finding that out, one person said "I might get a pet now then!"

wow didnt think anyone watched bbc 3

Original Poster

Bully;6746104

When the other channels are showing ***** like Strictly and X-factor, it's off the the digital onlys for me

Bully;6746104

It was the middle of the night & wasnt in the mood for anything on sky+

Last one is wrong tho.

Bully;6746104

i love bbc3 :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Benjimoron;6746400

Last one is wrong tho.

How so?

MrRobin;6747500

How so?

Surely you've seen all the misprices on here where they take the money then refuse to give you the product? Nothing you can do about it most of the time.

Original Poster

Benjimoron;6747687

Surely you've seen all the misprices on here where they take the money … Surely you've seen all the misprices on here where they take the money then refuse to give you the product? Nothing you can do about it most of the time.

Most of the misprices here involve an order, a confirmation email saying the order has been acknowledged, but is subject to stock / checks etc and then the order is cancelled. There is no money changing hands so there is no contract.

If money changes hands then there is a contract and you are within your rights to take the retailer to court but most of the time it's just not worth it.

MrRobin;6747754

Most of the misprices here involve an order, a confirmation email saying … Most of the misprices here involve an order, a confirmation email saying the order has been acknowledged, but is subject to stock / checks etc and then the order is cancelled. There is no money changing hands so there is no contract.If money changes hands then there is a contract and you are within your rights to take the retailer to court but most of the time it's just not worth it.

Alot of the time money is taken from people's cards, it's happened to me 10 times or so over the last few years.

Phone TS and they'll advise that if it's a misprice you won't stand a chance of getting anything from them.

I believe they only take the money when it's dispatched, which is why most mis-price don't go through!!

Think we should make the third one a stickie to save

"ZoMG, amazon have cancelled my order, they have to sell it to me, i'm ringing a solicitor......"

Every week or so

sancho1983;6748032

I believe they only take the money when it's dispatched, which is why … I believe they only take the money when it's dispatched, which is why most mis-price don't go through!!Think we should make the third one a stickie to save"ZoMG, amazon have cancelled my order, they have to sell it to me, i'm ringing a solicitor......"Every week or so

Sometimes that's the case, sometimes it's not.

Banned

Benjimoron;6747919

Alot of the time money is taken from people's cards, it's happened to me … Alot of the time money is taken from people's cards, it's happened to me 10 times or so over the last few years.Phone TS and they'll advise that if it's a misprice you won't stand a chance of getting anything from them.

the program wasn't talking about internet sites though, they were correct in that if a shop takes your money and you have the goods then they cannot charge you any extra.
    No different to an internet site once you have the item not being able to charge you extra.

Original Poster

Well second episode was OK, although one of the situations was kinda the same as one in episode 1. Here's the lo-down:

Q) If a cloakroom loses your item, are you entitled to compensation, even if they have a 'Items left at owner's risk' sign up?
    A) Yes, if the cloakroom has not taken due care of your possessions then you can claim for the cost of a replacement. Programme used an example of shoes left at a bowling alley.

Q) If you have something delivered and have signed for it as arriving in satisfactory condition but find out it is damaged, can you send it back?
    A) Yes, the sale of goods act (distance selling regs I think?) allows you to return items or get a replacement if you find out the damage quickly (1 week?). Obv. you shouldn't really sign until you have inspected it or if it isn't possible to inspect, then write that down when you sign.

Q) What can you do if a hotel charges you for goods and services that you haven't used?
    A) If the hotel has definitely made a mistake and they won't budge, pay for it but write 'Paid under protest' in big letters on the invoice. You can then contest this with your creditcard company and should be able to get the money back (Programme didn't go into detail how this would work or if the £100 minimum applies)

Anyways, always good to empower yourselves with this sort of information!

colinsunderland;6748762

the program wasn't talking about internet sites though, they were correct … the program wasn't talking about internet sites though, they were correct in that if a shop takes your money and you have the goods then they cannot charge you any extra.No different to an internet site once you have the item not being able to charge you extra.

Fair enough, didn't see the program and couldn't see anywhere in the OP where it says that internet sales were excluded.

colinsunderland;6748762

the program wasn't talking about internet sites though, they were correct … the program wasn't talking about internet sites though, they were correct in that if a shop takes your money and you have the goods then they cannot charge you any extra.No different to an internet site once you have the item not being able to charge you extra.

Littlewoods springs to mind. Trading Standards put a stop to that though.

MrRobin;6763154

Well second episode was OK, although one of the situations was kinda the … Well second episode was OK, although one of the situations was kinda the same as one in episode 1. Here's the lo-down:Q) What can you do if a hotel charges you for goods and services that you haven't used?A) If the hotel has definitely made a mistake and they won't budge, pay for it but write 'Paid under protest' in big letters on the invoice. You can then contest this with your creditcard company and should be able to get the money back (Programme didn't go into detail how this would work or if the £100 minimum applies)

Pay for it No way !!! Sorry but if i never used or had the services the hotel said i had then no way would i pay for it then try to get it back later :x

Original Poster

waterloo;6764351

Pay for it No way !!! Sorry but if i never used or had the services the … Pay for it No way !!! Sorry but if i never used or had the services the hotel said i had then no way would i pay for it then try to get it back later :x

The alternative would be that the hotel charges you for it anyway (as you would probably have swiped a card on arrival) and you wouldn't get an opportunity to write 'Paid under protest', or they recover the money from you once you return home with debt collection etc as they would most likely take your address details or passport details...

dont forget they also had that they're not aloud to let ladies into clubs for free but guys have to pay

golemsmate;6766845

dont forget they also had that they're not aloud to let ladies into clubs … dont forget they also had that they're not aloud to let ladies into clubs for free but guys have to pay

Was just about to say that.

Original Poster

golemsmate;6766845

dont forget they also had that they're not aloud to let ladies into clubs … dont forget they also had that they're not aloud to let ladies into clubs for free but guys have to pay

:? Must have missed that bit... was it one of the short survey bits? I saw the one asking if a restaurant can charge for tap water - yes
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains33
      2. Jazz apple slicer for the price of a stamp22
      3. Win a Karcher Xpert Pressure Washer66
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car1818

See more discussions