Groups

'Dont hog the middle lane'

6 years this message has been up and I only noticed it today coming back on the motorway...

and yet Middle Lane Hoggers everywhere... Ahhhh!

108 Comments

Original Poster

Look at this fool
    http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9664/n225923310737319.jpg

Whats the middle lane for then? if it's not for driving on...

How do you know he's not just pulled out to overtake a car on the inside lane just out of shot at the bottom of the picture?

krazie2004;7981194

Whats the middle lane for then? if it's not for driving on...

It's for overtaking in. That's the OPs point.

If its taken 6 years for you to notice I pray and hope I never meet you on the roads!

deek72;7981218

It's for overtaking in. That's the OPs point.

So what's the third lane for?

Original Poster

awoodhall2003;7981223

If its taken 6 years for you to notice I pray and hope I never meet you … If its taken 6 years for you to notice I pray and hope I never meet you on the roads!

point is I don't need a sign to tell me, and yet people hog regardless.

I pay road tax and tax on fuel, VAT on insurance and on spare parts - I'll drive where the **** I like TYVM :-D

ele-font;7981273

point is I don't need a sign to tell me, and yet people hog regardless.

and people speed constantly, when i go on the m25 and m40 you constantly see speeders, also of course middle lane hoggers, but if they annoy you so much overtake them in the outside lane, flash them to let them know they need to move, or even still if theyre not doing any harm get on with it.

It is annoying but you cant sort it out, so just have to live with it,.

The middle and outside lanes are for overtaking, neither is a fast lane (speed limit will be the same in all 3 lanes). Hate people that hog middle lane, you have to go out to outside lane then back to inside lane to overtake. Usually old blokes or women

Under-takers are just as bad as middle hoggers....

You should drive in the most left hand lane as possible as to prevent other drivers undertaking you, which is illegal!

Paddy_o_furniture;7981398

The middle and outside lanes are for overtaking, neither is a fast lane … The middle and outside lanes are for overtaking, neither is a fast lane (speed limit will be the same in all 3 lanes). Hate people that hog middle lane, you have to go out to outside lane then back to inside lane to overtake. Usually old blokes or women

Noooooooo inside lane is for caravans and new drivers, plus the occasional decrepit HGV
    Middle lane is for newer HGV's that can go 0.0000000005 mph faster than the old ones....and micras

Outside lane is for everyone else, nose to tail as we are all in one big rush :thumbsup:

aardvarking;7981446

Noooooooo inside lane is for caravans and new drivers, plus the … Noooooooo inside lane is for caravans and new drivers, plus the occasional decrepit HGVMiddle lane is for newer HGV's that can go 0.0000000005 mph faster than the old ones....and micrasOutside lane is for everyone else, nose to tail as we are all in one big rush :thumbsup:

HGV's racing on dual carriagways winds me up as well. I'm always on the inside lane when possible. HGV's and bus/coaches in the outside lane is another naughty I see often

Banned

ei8hty5ive;7981426

Under-takers are just as bad as middle hoggers....

Under-takers wouldn't exist if there weren't middle-lane-hoggers:thumbsup:

FilthAndFurry;7981491

Under-takers wouldn't exist if there weren't middle-lane-hoggers:thumbsup:

there would be...ive seen some idiots who just stay in the inside lane for miles undertaking people.

I undertake alot, due to fools sitting in the middle lane, or if I am really bored I got inside, middle, outside, middle, inside really close to the hoggers in the hope of them getting realisation. They never do.

Banned

awoodhall2003;7981514

there would be...ive seen some idiots who just stay in the inside lane … there would be...ive seen some idiots who just stay in the inside lane for miles undertaking people.

True.

The only time I undertake is when I'm approaching a turn-off and some idiot is doing 50 in the middle lane.

Paddy_o_furniture;7981487

HGV's racing on dual carriagways winds me up as well. I'm always on the … HGV's racing on dual carriagways winds me up as well. I'm always on the inside lane when possible. HGV's and bus/coaches in the outside lane is another naughty I see often

heh glad you saw my humour - I stay left hand lane as much as possible, if there is a middle lane hogger I make a point of swinging from inside to outside lanes (indicating all the time - and looking!) then the same back in - again indicating - usually they take noooooo notice whatsoever!

Where in the highway code does it actually say you can't undertake?

edit found it:

242: Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

FilthAndFurry;7981539

True.The only time I undertake is when I'm approaching a turn-off and … True.The only time I undertake is when I'm approaching a turn-off and some idiot is doing 50 in the middle lane.

yeah ill admit ive done that a few times, then again ive also had people had a go at me for undertaking when im in a protected slip road! :w00t:

Original Poster

overall, middle lane hoggers are the cause for all above

I love it when these threads come up, on a three lane motorway, I do the following. . .

Lane 1 is for slow moving traffic, for example trucks, old people and caravans etc.
    Lane 2 (middle lane) is where I drive mostly, at 70-80 Mph (private motorway obviously)
    Lane 3 is for when I want to overtake other middle laners, and where other people overtake me if they are doing speeds of 80 and over.

My theory on it is, I am not travelling under 70 MPH in the middle lane, so I am not causing people to go under the speed limit, plus when I am travelling 70MPH, if I were in the inside lane, I would be causing more danger to others by having to overtake every 10 seconds. I can stay in the middle lane for most of my journey and if people want to overtake, outside lane it is!

When I used to drive HGV's (agency) on my weekends off from the Army I would just drive right up middle lane hoggers backsides flash my lights honk my horn if necessary. They'd usually move over pretty quick

aircanman;7981666

I love it when these threads come up, on a three lane motorway, I do the … I love it when these threads come up, on a three lane motorway, I do the following. . . Lane 1 is for slow moving traffic, for example trucks, old people and caravans etc. Lane 2 (middle lane) is where I drive mostly, at 70-80 Mph (private motorway obviously) Lane 3 is for when I want to overtake other middle laners, and where other people overtake me if they are doing speeds of 80 and over.My theory on it is, I am not travelling under 70 MPH in the middle lane, so I am not causing people to go under the speed limit, plus when I am travelling 70MPH, if I were in the inside lane, I would be causing more danger to others by having to overtake every 10 seconds. I can stay in the middle lane for most of my journey and if people want to overtake, outside lane it is!

I got a similar theory, middle lane is for c**ks

aircanman;7981666

I love it when these threads come up, on a three lane motorway, I do the … I love it when these threads come up, on a three lane motorway, I do the following. . . Lane 1 is for slow moving traffic, for example trucks, old people and caravans etc. Lane 2 (middle lane) is where I drive mostly, at 70-80 Mph (private motorway obviously) Lane 3 is for when I want to overtake other middle laners, and where other people overtake me if they are doing speeds of 80 and over.My theory on it is, I am not travelling under 70 MPH in the middle lane, so I am not causing people to go under the speed limit, plus when I am travelling 70MPH, if I were in the inside lane, I would be causing more danger to others by having to overtake every 10 seconds. I can stay in the middle lane for most of my journey and if people want to overtake, outside lane it is!

Or in other words, Bellend!

So...we all know we may exceed 70 MPH (on private motorways naturally) would you 'flash' someone in the outside lane to move over if they were doing 70 MPH with a clear space in the middle lane...?

That message should be posted every few miles along every motorway imo.

pinkleponkle;7981731

Or in other words, Bellend!

LMAO - I love it

Why should I have to overtake every single person doing under 70 in the inside lane when I can drive in the middle? End of the day, most of the people who come behind me in the middle lane, are driving in the middle lane ANYWAY!!

I like your insults, but are you telling me you driving in the inside lane all the time? I think not.

Paddy_o_furniture;7981712

I got a similar theory, middle lane is for c**ks

Well at least I have one . . :thumbsup:

aardvarking;7981762

So...we all know we may exceed 70 MPH (on private motorways naturally) … So...we all know we may exceed 70 MPH (on private motorways naturally) would you 'flash' someone in the outside lane to move over if they were doing 70 MPH with a clear space in the middle lane...?

Yes, all the more reason to do so.

aardvarking;7981762

So...we all know we may exceed 70 MPH (on private motorways naturally) … So...we all know we may exceed 70 MPH (on private motorways naturally) would you 'flash' someone in the outside lane to move over if they were doing 70 MPH with a clear space in the middle lane...?

I can't comment on that, my Vivaro from work is limited to 70mph and I have a scenic that struggles to get to 70. Gone are the days of being a young single man with a mx5

Why do people get annoyed at this? If there is room to overtake in the outside lane what does it matter if someone is in the middle?

Paddy_o_furniture;7981805

I can't comment on that, my Vivaro from work is limited to 70mph and I … I can't comment on that, my Vivaro from work is limited to 70mph and I have a scenic that struggles to get to 70. Gone are the days of being a young single man with a mx5

You want to get that scenic looked at. . . Of the two cars I own, one is a Scenic 1.4 and it can do 90 + no problems (private land)

StudentJo;7981816

Why do people get annoyed at this? If there is room to overtake in the … Why do people get annoyed at this? If there is room to overtake in the outside lane what does it matter if someone is in the middle?

Exactly!!

Because they would rather sit in the middle lane moaning and whining!! They have nothing better to do.

StudentJo;7981816

Why do people get annoyed at this? If there is room to overtake in the … Why do people get annoyed at this? If there is room to overtake in the outside lane what does it matter if someone is in the middle?

Because they're in the wrong lane and liable to slow up the traffic and quite possibly cause an accident:thumbsup:

StudentJo;7981816

Because you either have to undertake (bad), or go inside, middle, outside, middle, inside to pass the vehicle

aircanman;7981777

LMAO - I love itWhy should I have to overtake every single person doing … LMAO - I love itWhy should I have to overtake every single person doing under 70 in the inside lane when I can drive in the middle? End of the day, most of the people who come behind me in the middle lane, are driving in the middle lane ANYWAY!! I like your insults, but are you telling me you driving in the inside lane all the time? I think not.

No, but I have never seen a situation where you would need to drive in the middle lane continuously. This is what causes congestion, as the full road is not being utilised.

If there are several cars, then there is obviously no need to swing wildly between inside and middle lane. It is simple common sense really.

As for the 'under taking', as was mentioned correctly before, if there is room for someone to undertake, there is room for the person sat in the middle lane to be driving in.

jtx;7981863

liable to slow up the traffic and quite possibly cause an … liable to slow up the traffic and quite possibly cause an accident:thumbsup:

So...like the m42 variable speed limits? :whistling:

Original Poster

jtx;7981863

Because they're in the wrong lane and liable to slow up the traffic and … Because they're in the wrong lane and liable to slow up the traffic and quite possibly cause an accident:thumbsup:

+1 its a hazard for other drivers and themselves.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1420
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846154
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      4. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218

See more discussions