Door and window sensors

Found 20th Feb
The market seems to be flooded with different brands, Hive/Samsung/Xiaomi and so on.

Can any tech savvy members advise on the right ones to go for please?

It's for my son's new house, apparently someone tried to break into his garage to but was luckily scared off by his neighbour.

He's just phoned me and asked for my advice but I haven't got a clue.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
I have the hive sensors got them because i work for british gas and they work great. No lag or anythinh. They do the job. Just giving my experience with the hive.
Best thing to do is put an alarm on it with two sounder boxes, one on the garage and another somewhere away from the garage just incase they try and tamper with it and chain any valuable items up with a padlock. Particularly bikes, lock them together with a D lock. That way if they get in, the alarm will go off drawing attention and nothin will be easy to remove quickly so it’ll limit what they are able to take. Other thing to consider is fold up bollards which can be locked, this stops them using vehicles to easily put things into the back of.

Also consider getting an electric door. It has no lock so it’s not as easy to bust into. A standard garage door lock can be opened in seconds with a hammer and screwdriver.
cmdr_elito1 h, 5 m ago

Best thing to do is put an alarm on it with two sounder boxes, one on the …Best thing to do is put an alarm on it with two sounder boxes, one on the garage and another somewhere away from the garage just incase they try and tamper with it and chain any valuable items up with a padlock. Particularly bikes, lock them together with a D lock. That way if they get in, the alarm will go off drawing attention and nothin will be easy to remove quickly so it’ll limit what they are able to take. Other thing to consider is fold up bollards which can be locked, this stops them using vehicles to easily put things into the back of.Also consider getting an electric door. It has no lock so it’s not as easy to bust into. A standard garage door lock can be opened in seconds with a hammer and screwdriver.

He doesn't keep anything of value in the garage, I think this incident has put him on Red Alert regarding the house.
adeljay923 h, 37 m ago

I have the hive sensors got them because i work for british gas and they …I have the hive sensors got them because i work for british gas and they work great. No lag or anythinh. They do the job. Just giving my experience with the hive.

Second this I fitted them to my French doors as these are a real weak point to gain access and even with my home alarm have no clue if the get smashed open

The hive senors Work perfect for me
I bought the Samsung system because it works with other manufactures devices, works fine for me. I havent used it as an alarm system so cant really comment on that aspect of it but I can turn all my lights on and off when i'm away. Also I believe the latest Alexa has a hub built in now so you can use that to control other manufacturers devices.
DADSCAB22 h, 5 m ago

He doesn't keep anything of value in the garage, I think this incident has …He doesn't keep anything of value in the garage, I think this incident has put him on Red Alert regarding the house.

I have a Yale smart home system, wireless burglar alarm. Mixture of sensors and multiple sounders incase one gets disabled. They do have anti tamper on them too. The alarm can be activated and deactivated using a fob sold separately which is great for garages. Cctv is pretty pointless as people see it and just cover their faces and then it’s useless, making lots of noise attracts attention, something criminals don’t want. Having motion activated lighting can also be a good deterrent. Ultimately if they want to get in they will get in, getting a small safe for those irreplaceable items might not be a bad idea and fix it to the floor.
cmdr_elito2 h, 32 m ago

I have a Yale smart home system, wireless burglar alarm. Mixture of …I have a Yale smart home system, wireless burglar alarm. Mixture of sensors and multiple sounders incase one gets disabled. They do have anti tamper on them too. The alarm can be activated and deactivated using a fob sold separately which is great for garages. Cctv is pretty pointless as people see it and just cover their faces and then it’s useless, making lots of noise attracts attention, something criminals don’t want. Having motion activated lighting can also be a good deterrent. Ultimately if they want to get in they will get in, getting a small safe for those irreplaceable items might not be a bad idea and fix it to the floor.

Cheers guys, I'll show my son all of these replies and help him make a decision.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions