Door handle fell off car. Covered by warranty?

Found 26th Apr 2016
Car is reaching end of 3 year warranty, but still a few weeks left. Having dealer look at it today.
Guess it could be considered a trim item, so not covered, but even still the sales of goods act would come in wouldn't it due to it not being built to last or for intended purpose.

Door handle has broke away at several places and now can't get in drivers side.

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
AskCarDoorDoor Handles
29 Comments
I'd say it was a safety issue, not a trim issue.
Original Poster
Also having rear tailgate paint looked at. It has had a bit of rust under paint since I bought it and even a clay clean or whatever it is wouldn't shift it. Not very noticeable though. The dealer knows about it.
In the first year someone dropped something on the tailgate handle and scratched the paint, now it's got a bit worse a year or two down the line.

Was going to replace said tailgate handle myself and thought I would wash it all first. Now paint is falling off at other end of handle which to me has absolutely nothing to do with original damage. No idea where I stand with that one either!

Imagine a foot long bit of chrome coloured plastic. Someone bashes it and gets down to metal of car paint also at one end. Got quite from dealer to replace plastic, but decide not to right now, then a year down the line due to water getting underneath or something else paint is falling away at other end.

Paint is coming off car at other end rather than off the handle.

Edited by: "MIDURIX" 26th Apr 2016
If faulty it would be covered. However it depends on if the garage say if it is damaged as a result of faulty, "fair wear and tear" or abuse/man-handled.
Original Poster
stuarthanley

I'd say it was a safety issue, not a trim issue.

I know a used a car warranty probably wouldn't cover, but the car is less than 3 years old and you don't expect the door handle to fall off. I agree.
Original Poster
katchiib

If faulty it would be covered. However it depends on if the garage say … If faulty it would be covered. However it depends on if the garage say if it is damaged as a result of faulty, "fair wear and tear" or abuse/man-handled.

If they say man handled I will pop on a woman's wig and use the sexism option.
MIDURIX

Also having rear tailgate paint looked at. It has had a bit of rust under … Also having rear tailgate paint looked at. It has had a bit of rust under paint since I bought it and even a clay clean or whatever it is wouldn't shift it. Not very noticeable though. The dealer knows about it. In the first year someone dropped something on the tailgate handle and scratched the paint, now it's got a bit worse a year or two down the line. Was going to replace said tailgate handle myself and thought I would wash it all first. Now paint is falling off at other end of handle which to me has absolutely nothing to do with original damage. No idea where I stand with that one either!Image a foot long bit of chrome coloured plastic. Someone bashes it and gets down to metal at one end. Get quite fro. Dealer to replace plastic, but decide not to right now, then a year down the line due to water getting underneath or something else paint is falling away at other end.

Ive NEVER seen paintwork covered under sny "warranty". Especially if so the paint was previously damaged.

I have seen brand new vehicles delivered from the factory with paint defects that were never fixed. The warranty is usually an "Anti perforation" warranty with paint (ie covered againt a hole rotting through the body) but nothing else.
Original Poster
And car has done 22k miles in 3 years so fair wear and tear might be pushing it for them.
Original Poster
katchiib

Ive NEVER seen paintwork covered under sny "warranty". Especially if so … Ive NEVER seen paintwork covered under sny "warranty". Especially if so the paint was previously damaged. I have seen brand new vehicles delivered from the factory with paint defects that were never fixed. The warranty is usually an "Anti perforation" warranty with paint (ie covered againt a hole rotting through the body) but nothing else.

You get a really long paint work warranty though don't you. Usually much longer than standard car warranty. Not sure what it covers.
Lets wait and see what dealer says/does first before releasing the hounds! But yes the minimum you can expect is a repair/replacement back to the standard when you bought it. I'm assuming this is not accidental damage. Oh and forget the warranty crap - that is to help the dealer not you. Your contract is with seller not the manufacturer.
MIDURIX

You get a really long paint work warranty though don't you. Usually much … You get a really long paint work warranty though don't you. Usually much longer than standard car warranty. Not sure what it covers.

Thats what I was saying. It is NOT a paint warranty, but rather an ANTI PERFORATION warranty. If you read the wording of the warranty, you will find the paint is not covered.
Original Poster
katchiib

Thats what I was saying. It is NOT a paint warranty, but rather an ANTI … Thats what I was saying. It is NOT a paint warranty, but rather an ANTI PERFORATION warranty. If you read the wording of the warranty, you will find the paint is not covered.

Give me examples of what is and isn't covered by a new car warranty relating to paintwork because I don't understand.
Original Poster

3 Year Paintwork WarrantyAny paintwork defects due to faulty materials or … 3 Year Paintwork WarrantyAny paintwork defects due to faulty materials or manufacturer will be rectified free of charge during the first 3 years.8 Year Anti-Perforation WarrantyAny perforation of the bodywork due to corrosion will be repaired free of all parts and labour charges during the first 8 years.

I get it now.
Original Poster
So rust under paint could be considered a faulty materials issue and so could paint completely coming away near where water could be trapped.
katchiib

Thats what I was saying. It is NOT a paint warranty, but rather an ANTI … Thats what I was saying. It is NOT a paint warranty, but rather an ANTI PERFORATION warranty. If you read the wording of the warranty, you will find the paint is not covered.

It's covered for 3 years under my warranty. Anti-Perf then for 8 years.

Paintwork warranty

The vehicle is guaranteed against manufacturing defects in the paintwork for a period of 36 months from the first date of registration. The Warranty provides for the total or partial repainting of the Vehicle to eliminate any anomaly determined, according to the manufacturer's standard conditions.
Anti Perforating Warranty

The structural elements of the bodywork are guaranteed against perforations caused by rust, when it occurs from the inside out.
The Warranty provides for the repair and/or replacement of any original, bodywork structural element damaged by perforating rust and is valid for 8 years from when the vehicle is first registered.

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 26th Apr 2016
MIDURIX

So rust under paint could be considered a faulty materials issue and so … So rust under paint could be considered a faulty materials issue and so could paint completely coming away near where water could be trapped.

You shouldn't have rust under the paint on a 3 year old car unless a bad repair. I've had the sides, front, bonnet repaired on my 9 year old astra and wash it on average once every 5 months and there's no visible rust on it. I guess if the car was exposed to a lot of salt water then that could affect it but I would probably check to see if it has been repaired at some point.
Original Poster
kester76

You shouldn't have rust under the paint on a 3 year old car unless a bad … You shouldn't have rust under the paint on a 3 year old car unless a bad repair. I've had the sides, front, bonnet repaired on my 9 year old astra and wash it on average once every 5 months and there's no visible rust on it. I guess if the car was exposed to a lot of salt water then that could affect it but I would probably check to see if it has been repaired at some point.

Someone dropped something on the right hand side of the tailgate and so that side looks quite bad now over a year later, but under the chrome door handle even on the left paint has come away. Although the whole thing is probably due to the original damage.
I mentioned the numerous specks of rust on the tailgate just under the window to several dealers and they have all said a good clean will get rid, well three years of cleaning has had no affect on them. One dealer even took me over to a near identical car with similar rust specks in the same place. To be honest I don't really know what his point was because both bits of rust on both cars were really unacceptable on new/under 3 year old cars.
All this rather detailed stuff is all well and good but is not moving the issue/problem to a solution.

As a consumer I can tell you are not happy. From what you have said the various parties you have dealt with and who have seen the car seem to be simply content that you are not happy but are not prepared to do much about it - not enough anyway to make you into a happy bunny.

So, you are in dispute. A dispute between you and the seller - I repeat not the dealer and nothing to do with warranty.

This dispute now needs managing. You need to force the issue by written correspondence, keeping copies and sending as "signed for". You are doing this to provide documentary evidence to use in any future stages of settling the dispute. Future stages include elevation and/or inclusion to Trade Associations, Motor Associations, Manufacturer and even to a court of law should this be warranted.

So, time to get business like and crack on properly with your consumer issue.
MIDURIX

Someone dropped something on the right hand side of the tailgate and so … Someone dropped something on the right hand side of the tailgate and so that side looks quite bad now over a year later, but under the chrome door handle even on the left paint has come away. Although the whole thing is probably due to the original damage.I mentioned the numerous specks of rust on the tailgate just under the window to several dealers and they have all said a good clean will get rid, well three years of cleaning has had no affect on them. One dealer even took me over to a near identical car with similar rust specks in the same place. To be honest I don't really know what his point was because both bits of rust on both cars were really unacceptable on new/under 3 year old cars.

Sounds like a fiat 500. They have really weak paint and end up with brake pad rust spots all over the paint work. It's a real pain.
Original Poster
tardytortoise

All this rather detailed stuff is all well and good but is not moving the … All this rather detailed stuff is all well and good but is not moving the issue/problem to a solution.As a consumer I can tell you are not happy. From what you have said the various parties you have dealt with and who have seen the car seem to be simply content that you are not happy but are not prepared to do much about it - not enough anyway to make you into a happy bunny.So, you are in dispute. A dispute between you and the seller - I repeat not the dealer and nothing to do with warranty.This dispute now needs managing. You need to force the issue by written correspondence, keeping copies and sending as "signed for". You are doing this to provide documentary evidence to use in any future stages of settling the dispute. Future stages include elevation and/or inclusion to Trade Associations, Motor Associations, Manufacturer and even to a court of law should this be warranted.So, time to get business like and crack on properly with your consumer issue.

Yeah, think I may have to. What a few dealers did was take pictures and send them to the manufacturer, but that could take a while. I've read that it could be rust from the brakes of the trains which were initially transporting the car.
kester76

Sounds like a fiat 500. They have really weak paint and end up with brake … Sounds like a fiat 500. They have really weak paint and end up with brake pad rust spots all over the paint work. It's a real pain.

Sounds like a fiat 500 for broken door handles, I've replaced both the driver and passenger side hinges on my partners car
Original Poster
Yep, Fiat 500 it is :p. Anyway... got it booked in for service, mot and door handled being replaced under warranty. Will probably get the bump/scratch done on the tailgate while its in and at least that will get rid of the rust flecks at the same time. Going to sell/trade it in in a few months and might take up one of these lease deals which keep popping up on here.
paddymcn

Sounds like a fiat 500 for broken door handles, I've replaced both the … Sounds like a fiat 500 for broken door handles, I've replaced both the driver and passenger side hinges on my partners car

Ouch, not happened yet but now worried oO
MIDURIX

Yep, Fiat 500 it is :p. Anyway... got it booked in for service, mot and … Yep, Fiat 500 it is :p. Anyway... got it booked in for service, mot and door handled being replaced under warranty. Will probably get the bump/scratch done on the tailgate while its in and at least that will get rid of the rust flecks at the same time. Going to sell/trade it in in a few months and might take up one of these lease deals which keep popping up on here.

I read a huge forum topic on how best to deal with the rust spots in the paint. All sorts of methods to remove it but it's only temporary. Something to do about the paint being soft and hot brake pad dust landing on the boot and melting into the paint.
Original Poster
kester76

We bought an S model just after they first came out in May 13, but at the time I couldn't order on from the factory and I found out that was due to problems with the door handles. A dealer managed to find the car we wanted anyway which was already pretty much in the UK, but sure enough our car had the very dark chrome exterior trim and now every S model from that point on has the matte chrome colour.
MIDURIX

We bought an S model just after they first came out in May 13, but at the … We bought an S model just after they first came out in May 13, but at the time I couldn't order on from the factory and I found out that was due to problems with the door handles. A dealer managed to find the car we wanted anyway which was already pretty much in the UK, but sure enough our car had the very dark chrome exterior trim and now every S model from that point on has the matte chrome colour.

I was in the Alfa Showroom today (shared with Fiat) and heard a women come in saying to the service guys about her handle breaking on her 500. Don't know the outcome though.
Original Poster
cecilmcroberts

I was in the Alfa Showroom today (shared with Fiat) and heard a women … I was in the Alfa Showroom today (shared with Fiat) and heard a women come in saying to the service guys about her handle breaking on her 500. Don't know the outcome though.

Was she a teapot?
kester76

The hinge is cheap to buy and a little awkward to replace but simple enough, I followed this youtube video...

youtube.com/wat…dhY
Original Poster
paddymcn

The hinge is cheap to buy and a little awkward to replace but simple … The hinge is cheap to buy and a little awkward to replace but simple enough, I followed this youtube video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FlbhT9ddhY

Mine snapped at both sides. At the metal hinge bit which looks like its made of die-cast steel! And at the plastic end.
MIDURIX

Was she a teapot?

Daft as one though. Heard her ask while she was waiting to the salelady in the showroom about the Fiat 500 which had the bigger boot, she pointed to the 500X and 500XL and she said it was neither of them it was the same size as her own car!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions