Door Stopper Issue...need help please??

Posted 26th May 2020
We need door stops for the back and front door.
Back door straight forward to stop the handle hitting the wall, so anything around 8cm will work. So just looking for something ‘stylish’ if anyone knows of anything nice???

Behind front door we have some wall lights which the door would clear except for the bulb (see pic attached). So we need to stop it before it touches it, which is 21cm at the widest part.

We could put a door stop further back (I.e. closer towards the hinge of the door instead of by the outer edge of the door. But does this risk damage to the door?

Anyone know of any solutions to prevent the door opening too far??

PS Just laid new floor tiles in hallway incase relevant

3471706.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
What "silly billy" put that light there!

Not sure what you can do as it's too far away from the wall for a "wall mounted" stopper. Just have to rely on a "Chock" on/in the floor perhaps?

Can you possibly think about moving the light?
amazon.co.uk/Rel…-12

Can recommend the above for one of your problems - currently stopping our kitchen door hitting our brand new American fridge.
get a new light.
Fix an 85/110mm spring/solid/extendable doorstop to the skirting
Fix it so that it stops the door before hitting bulb, wont damage the door being further down.

amazon.co.uk/s?k…oss

Something like this maybe

40876028-P3yNm.jpg
Edited by: "fearona" 26th May
fearona26/05/2020 12:14

Fix an 85/110mm spring/solid/extendable doorstop to the skirtingFix it so …Fix an 85/110mm spring/solid/extendable doorstop to the skirtingFix it so that it stops the door before hitting bulb, wont damage the door being further down.https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=spring+door+stop+long&i=diy&ref=nb_sb_nossSomething like this maybe[Image]

Good solution but might be a trip hazard when the door is closed , considering how far it will have to extend to clear that light bulb. I estimate that it is around 40-50cm from the wall?
Better to mount a little chock to the floor.
Something like this would be best IMO

nuoshen 4 Pieces Stainless Steel Floor Door Stopper, Oval Floor Mounted Half Moon Door Stop with Screws and Gluesamazon.co.uk/dp/B07HH3632F/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_.UqZEbR1Q02VJ

Edit, should also help to save the nice framed pic on the wall too.
Easy enough to drill in to tile to attach, just make sure you have the right bit and take it slow.
Edited by: "Mugginz" 26th May
Mugginz26/05/2020 13:31

Good solution but might be a trip hazard when the door is open, …Good solution but might be a trip hazard when the door is open, considering how far it will have to extend to clear that light bulb. I estimate that it is around 40-50cm from the wall?Better to mount a little chock to the floor.Something like this would be best IMOnuoshen 4 Pieces Stainless Steel Floor Door Stopper, Oval Floor Mounted Half Moon Door Stop with Screws and Glues amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HH3632F/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_.UqZEbR1Q02VJEdit, should also help to save the nice framed pic on the wall too.Easy enough to drill in to tile to attach, just make sure you have the right bit and take it slow.

Trip hazard lol,
deleted5655
If you are determined not to move the light then rather than a door stop you could fit a upvc door restrictor.
It's an arm that attaches to your door and frame and prevents the door from opening too dar. Around £7.
40877189-2ldWy.jpg
Edited by: "deleted5655" 26th May
fearona26/05/2020 14:08

Trip hazard lol,

Trip hazard, when the door is openclosed.
Might have young kids, who knows what they get up to in the corner behind the door.
Anyhow. Doesn't look like it would need to be as long as I initially thought (thanks for the pic with the tape measure OP) , could be put on the half way point on the door, meaning it would only have to be 15-20cm out. So the solution you proposed could work OK. Depends how solid the wall or skirting board is to attach it to I guess too.
we have these little animal door stops, similar to this

40878357-8iScx.jpg
Door restrictor, but I really would move that light.

I suppose another option if you dabble in electronics, would be to replace the mains feed with a led transformer/driver in the ceiling void and mod the fitting to have a flush fitting COB led instead of a bulb!
to answer your question from original post description. No it wont damage the door by putting the stopper closer to the hinge. The only issue you may have is if the door is opened with a lot of pressure, it could act like a unbalanced pivot and knock the door off the hinges. Its very unlikely to happen but just a side note.
Only in two instances that could happen, is if you leave it open and outside winds keep battering against it. Or a kid or adult decides to slam it open. Again very very rare.
40889883-OyKTI.jpgor you could do this
Post a comment
@
    Text