Dortmund V Schalke

Posted 16th MayEdited by:"SpeakEnglish"
They can talk up the return of football as much as they want but after 11 minutes in to the game I've already switched it off.

Bayern would beg to differ but them and Dortmund is not a derby so this is the biggest derby in German football by a country mile. A massive stadium with zero fans and the only noise being the respective benches providing a whisper echo.

An ordeal to watch because it's dead as a doornail, might as well end all football seasons now as this is an absolute crock of you know what
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

34 Comments
Dortmund winning. Its free all german games on the William Hill website if you have an active account.
Turned off as well, boring wihen theres no atmosphere.
Something we will have to get used to I’m afraid guys, I can’t see 50000 packing into stadiums for the next year or so
Completely agree SpeakEnglish, it's barely even tolerable watching your own team play behind closed doors. Just an empty experience driven by money this.
Morecambe fans feeling at home
It’s not the same without the fans but I’m happy that some football is back as I really missed it
Kratos6916/05/2020 15:10

Something we will have to get used to I’m afraid guys, I can’t see 50000 pa …Something we will have to get used to I’m afraid guys, I can’t see 50000 packing into stadiums for the next year or so

Not sure it's something we will have to get used to, a straw poll from the few responses here would suggest I'm not alone in finding it a complete turn-off so perhaps a substantial amount of fans/viewers out there won't swallow this abortion.

I'll nail my colours to the mast here and admit I have a rather unhealthy contempt of everything Dortmund but there's no denying their fans generate some racket so when Gelsenkirchen's finest come to town this fixture is up there with Lazio/Roma, Feyenoord/Ajax, Partizan/Zvezda and dare I say even Rangers/Celtic for electricity and needle in the air but that was 11 minutes of my life completely wasted, a sham and an absolute outrage.

Football is nothing without fans, this proves it.
SpeakEnglish16/05/2020 15:26

Not sure it's something we will have to get used to, a straw poll from the …Not sure it's something we will have to get used to, a straw poll from the few responses here would suggest I'm not alone in finding it a complete turn-off so perhaps a substantial amount of fans/viewers out there won't swallow this abortion.I'll nail my colours to the mast here and admit I have a rather unhealthy contempt of everything Dortmund but there's no denying their fans generate some racket so when Gelsenkirchen's finest come to town this fixture is up there with Lazio/Roma, Feyenoord/Ajax, Partizan/Zvezda and dare I say even Rangers/Celtic for electricity and needle in the air but that was 11 minutes of my life completely wasted, a sham and an absolute outrage.Football is nothing without fans, this proves it.

I completely 100 percent agree with everything you’re saying, absolutely. All I’m saying is that unless we have no live football for the next year or so and they just stop the competitions, I believe this is how it will have to be. People talk of “next season” but it’s absurd to think come next season everything will be back to normal, regardless of how this one finishes up. Again I’m not implying you think things will be back to normal next season, the general consensus just seems to be “cancel the football start again next season” when next season we are likely to be in the same ship with mass gatherings not happening.
should have kept it on, you’re missing goals
I'd prefer fake fan noise pumped in than hear every kick and shouts echoing around the stadium
Stop all football but screen all women’s beach volleyball
Kratos6916/05/2020 15:41

I completely 100 percent agree with everything you’re saying, absolutely. A …I completely 100 percent agree with everything you’re saying, absolutely. All I’m saying is that unless we have no live football for the next year or so and they just stop the competitions, I believe this is how it will have to be. People talk of “next season” but it’s absurd to think come next season everything will be back to normal, regardless of how this one finishes up. Again I’m not implying you think things will be back to normal next season, the general consensus just seems to be “cancel the football start again next season” when next season we are likely to be in the same ship with mass gatherings not happening.

Glad you agree mate, what really gets my goat is people saying about clubs going out of business if they don't do this but I only see top flight clubs getting this live stream behind closed doors option be it in Germany, England or wherever.

I can think of traditional clubs with big fan bases in the third tier over here like the Mackems and Pompey who need that income far more than say the Scousers and Chelsea do or if you want to look to the German third tier there's massive historical clubs like Kaiserslautern, Hansa Rostock and Braunschweig who need that TV income far more than München, Dortmund and plastic Leipzig do but we already know the more desperate cases won't get a look in
IMO this season must be completed however long it takes, at least in PL and Championship, we're about 3 quarters of the way through the season, just abandoning it totally would render every match played so far as meaningless friendlies and finishing the season now based on current positions or points per game would be grossly unfair on clubs currently in the relegation places but with a realistic chance of staying up, along with those just outside promotion places in lower divisions.

The argument is a little different when you get down to league 1 and below as clubs there rely far more heavily on matchday income, most of them just can't afford to play matches in empty stadiums.

Next season I'm not so sure about, I'd lean towards playing behind closed doors because as sterile and dull as it is, football with no fans is still better than no football at all, again that probably wouldn't work in the lower divisions though.
Edited by: "spoo" 16th May
spoo16/05/2020 16:01

As sterile and dull as it is, football with no fans is still better than …As sterile and dull as it is, football with no fans is still better than no football at all.IMO this season must be completed however long it takes, at least in PL and Championship, we're about 3 quarters of the way through the season, just abandoning it totally would render every match played so far as meaningless friendlies and finishing the season now based on current positions or points per game would be grossly unfair on clubs currently in the relegation places but with a realistic chance of staying up, along with those just outside promotion places in lower divisions.The argument is a little different when you get down to league 1 and below as clubs there rely far more heavily on matchday income, most of them just can't afford to play matches in empty stadiums.

Precisely what I just said so they need to generate TV income and complete their seasons more than top flight and second tier clubs do.
Just shows you how ridiculously unsustainable the current football model is.

They're only playing to pay the footballers, which is where most of the billions of TV money goes.

And the footballers and their unions are not keen on them doing what the rest of the country's workers are having to do.
Don’t understand people saying it was boring and unwatchable with no fans. No different to watching an amateur game but a lot more quality on show. Football is football.
alankfc0216/05/2020 16:45

Don’t understand people saying it was boring and unwatchable with no fans. …Don’t understand people saying it was boring and unwatchable with no fans. No different to watching an amateur game but a lot more quality on show. Football is football.

You've not seen fans of amateur teams like Enfield or even soapy Clapton then I guess
SpeakEnglish16/05/2020 16:52

You've not seen fans of amateur teams like Enfield or even soapy Clapton …You've not seen fans of amateur teams like Enfield or even soapy Clapton then I guess

You know what I mean. Anyone who claims they can’t watch football because there is no fans is ridiculous.
This season needs voiding or putting on hold until fans can return to stadiums.
I managed to watch about 20 mins before switching off. It's not football without the fans.
alankfc0216/05/2020 16:54

You know what I mean. Anyone who claims they can’t watch football because t …You know what I mean. Anyone who claims they can’t watch football because there is no fans is ridiculous.

Not ridiculous at all, I played football from 3 years old but only became interested in attending games because of the whole experience of being a fan when I reached 8 or 9.

By the time I was 10 or 11 me and mates were going games by ourselves and were far more impressed by tales of terrace legends than what we were by the dross on display on the pitch.

Horses for courses granted but I stand by football is nothing without fans.
The people saying void the season clearly don’t pay to go and actually watch their teams play. If they did then every game and emotion you’ve been through this season was a waste. They would need to refund every single penny paid for the whole season if they want to void it
Just void this season and next, then take the 2 year free time to finally set up the European Superleague to cover lost income and maximise transit potential for the next pandemic.
JohnnyRoller16/05/2020 17:41

The people saying void the season clearly don’t pay to go and actually w …The people saying void the season clearly don’t pay to go and actually watch their teams play. If they did then every game and emotion you’ve been through this season was a waste.

But... It is a waste, and always is even with the season completed.
JohnnyRoller16/05/2020 17:41

The people saying void the season clearly don’t pay to go and actually w …The people saying void the season clearly don’t pay to go and actually watch their teams play. If they did then every game and emotion you’ve been through this season was a waste. They would need to refund every single penny paid for the whole season if they want to void it

I would just put it out there that an educated guess says that there's thousands upon thousands of people who pay to go to watch either of the two big clubs in Manchester would be more than happy to void the season, safe to say their emotions would have been rather negative since October and a no result season now would cheer them up no end.
There’s no way the season is getting voided it will be completed one way or another!

I think we all better get used to empty stadiums though because there’s no way the premier league or the clubs can continue without the TV money and it’s likely next season is going to start without fans at the game or the pub.
SpeakEnglish16/05/2020 17:57

I would just put it out there that an educated guess says that there's …I would just put it out there that an educated guess says that there's thousands upon thousands of people who pay to go to watch either of the two big clubs in Manchester would be more than happy to void the season, safe to say their emotions would have been rather negative since October and a no result season now would cheer them up no end.

If be happy if the Championship got voided and I’m a Middlesbrough fan, I just don’t want Leeds to go up haha
To be honest I didn’t mind the silence, was used to it from the past few months of WWE and AEW anyways (AEW did have wrestlers and staff do the cheering which was great). Good games from Dortmund Schalke and Eintracht ‘Gladbach though, looking forward to the Bayern and Bayer Leverkusen matches tomorrow and Monday, then Leverkusen ‘Gladbach next Saturday.
I usually hate football with silence, but it was a decent game, so the time went really fast
alankfc0216/05/2020 16:45

Don’t understand people saying it was boring and unwatchable with no fans. …Don’t understand people saying it was boring and unwatchable with no fans. No different to watching an amateur game but a lot more quality on show. Football is football.

It's not football.. It's like watching a crap friendly..

The sooner people cancel SKY/BTSport and the major premier league players don't get their multimillion pound bonuses whilst we struggle to pay the covid debt the better.
There’ll be commentary on premier league games on sky sports and BT sports, who takes notice of fans on tv during games anyway, you may just get the odd Chelsea fan brushing their teeth or something.
games without commentary in premier league and championship, agree with you.
I usually turn the volume off anyway to avoid the banal droning of the commentary.
Stick some Phillip Glass on instead.
Once/if the league opens up again i think viewership will be down massively once the first couple of matches are past. People will still tune in for the teams they support but it will be much harder getting them to watch the others outside derbys and top 6 matches.

I normally watch loads each weekend because of FPL but really can't see myself bothering with them as much any more.
Zooicidal18/05/2020 10:28

Once/if the league opens up again i think viewership will be down …Once/if the league opens up again i think viewership will be down massively once the first couple of matches are past. People will still tune in for the teams they support but it will be much harder getting them to watch the others outside derbys and top 6 matches.I normally watch loads each weekend because of FPL but really can't see myself bothering with them as much any more.

like yourself I watch so much football on the weekends, because I watch so many different leagues

Having practised with a couple of the Bundesliga games since lockdown, it hasn’t been as bad as I thought it would be

So I can still see myself watching quite a bit of football
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions