Double bedding on a Small double bed

Found 12th Jan
I’ll be moving into an apartment with a small double bed.I’ve always had the normal double bed, so all of my beddings and mattress topper are in that size.
I know I may not have issues with duvet and duvet covers, but does anyone know if a normal double fitted sheet would fit a small double bed? It would really suck if I have to buy new sheets and a mattress topper too. Did I mention the mattress topper is memory foam?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
I used to have a double sheet and it's fine to just tuck in but I move alot in my sleep so it kept coming untucked and then it wakes me up, not a very heavy sleeper

I have a small one now with a double douvet
Edited by: "murtgurge" 12th Jan
It'll be a 4ft bed (standard double is 4ft 6") - we have a couple in our kids rooms.

A double fitted sheet will be too big and if you're at all a restless sleeper will come off during the night. Could try to use a plain top sheet as your base sheet and tuck it in as was the way in the not too distant past.

Not everywhere sells 4" fitted sheets - can't get them in places like Wilko and M&S last time we tried. We normally get ours in John Lewis, Dunelm or from ebay. Almost impossible to get a 4ft valance - we just use doubles with additional folds to lose the additional 6".
Edited by: "Van1973" 13th Jan
Van19737 m ago

It'll be a 4ft bed (standard double is 4ft 6") - we have a couple in our …It'll be a 4ft bed (standard double is 4ft 6") - we have a couple in our kids rooms.A double fitted sheet will be too big and if you're at all a restless sleeper will come off during the night. Could try to use a plain top sheet as your base sheet and tuck it in as was the way in the not too distant past.Not everywhere sells 4" fitted sheets - can't get them in places like Wilko and M&S last time we tried. We normally get hours in John Lewis, Dunelm or from ebay. Almost impossible to get a 4ft valance - we just use doubles with additional folds to lose the additional 6".

Those were exactly my thoughts initially. I’m a light sleeper and I know the extra inches would definitely cause some trouble when the bedsheet come off.
I couldn’t find any in Wilko and Argos so I might have to try eBay. Thanks
Amazon have some small double fitted sheets and I got our mattress protector from dunelm
Sheet straps ?
Just cut the memory foam mattress topper to size

If money is really tight and you or someone you know has a sewing machine it wouldn’t be too edfortsome to make the fitted sheets a little smaller, but personally I’d just suck it up and buy some more off the shelf.

It’s an unusual size but try M&S, willow, dunelm & TK Maxx.

I highly recommend 100% cotton and not polycotton for a better nights sleep.
My daughters is this size, duvet cover and duvet are for a double bed, and this is actually better as it gives her more around the edge. Flat sheets again as they tuck in more, the topper if it is like hers is secured via elastic straps diagonally on all four corners , so should be easy enough to sew new ones on to make it more secure. We had to get her new fitted sheets. Which we bought on eBay and were the cheapest we could find at the time, I bought one first to test the quality and then ordered more when I was happy with the first one . On the high street they tend to charge more for this size and aren't so widely available
Try Ikea. They have different sizes.
Thanks all for your suggestions. The best option going forward
Darzen7 h, 7 m ago

Sheet straps ?

Okay, tell me more! I may have to use those for the mattress topper after cutting to size...
Sheet straps might be able to get them cheaper if ordering from China, but depends how urgently you need them. Work a bit like braces, short length of elastic held on by 2 clasps across the corners under the mattress. If you don’t alter the mattress topper and just wrap over the bed the extra bulk might make the sheet fit better. I would try it like that before altering either the mattress topper or buying new sheets
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions