Expired

Double Glazing Company refusing to honour warranty

Found 28th Jan 2014
Hi guys

5 years ago we had double glazing fitted by a local firm, we had them out 2 or 3 times for door adjustments and 1 blown window (blown window is where condensation gets in between the double glazing)

about 2 weeks ago we got another blown window, I reported it and got told the manager would phone me back...

No phone call, I called again today and luckily it was him who answered the phone...

They have told me they are now within their rights to refuse warranty as the company that made the plains of glass have gone bankrupt so they wont be honouring any warranty to do with the glass...

Obviously I think this is BS, do you agree?

I am guessing I will have to issue a small claims claim against them, but can you do that for a company refusing warranty?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Banned
I think small claims court is cheap and easy.
The company that makes the glass has nothing to do with you. Your contract is with the company who sold you the windows and as long as they are actively still selling windows then they owe you refund/replacement/repair or whatever it costs to solve the problem.

The third party company they mention has nothing to do with you and if i was you i would tell them i dont care about any third party company. Or you could play them at their own game and ask who the company is that went bankrupt, bet they wont tell you.
I sell windows & doors to the trade.... From a suppliers point of view, the guarantee that we offer (10 years on frames & glass) is from the manufacturer. The supplier is only responsible for the first year.... It depends on what the exact words of the contract. ..

Ask the name of the glass manufacturer & look them up...

Glass units are not expensive to buy... The main cost would be the cost of fitting...
Original Poster
SamSungTab

I sell windows & doors to the trade.... From a suppliers point of view, … I sell windows & doors to the trade.... From a suppliers point of view, the guarantee that we offer (10 years on frames & glass) is from the manufacturer. The supplier is only responsible for the first year.... It depends on what the exact words of the contract. .. Ask the name of the glass manufacturer & look them up... Glass units are not expensive to buy... The main cost would be the cost of fitting...

so if I understand you post, are you saying they have a point?
sale of goods act 1979. your claim is against the supplier to you. send them a formal letter with chance for them to repair or replace the pane. if no sensible response get a repair quote from a firm you trust and bang it in small claims court, you can do it online.
oh dont forget to call trading standards and make a complaint also
When you purchased the double glazing, did they offer an 'insurance backed' guarantee or was it just a standard guarantee with them alone? With an insurance backed warranty, it covers for any eventuality such as manufacturers going bankrupt. This is in addition to the suppliers guarantee.

If it's just their warranty, they may have a clause (or fineprint) that allows so many claims against the guarantee. Check your paperwork that you should have to back up the guarantee period. It does sound like an avoidance tactic on their part as all the companies I contacted before purchasing my doors/windows had IBG's on their warranties. Maybe your company is an exception though...

Regards, Phsy.
The OP does not state how long the warranty was for, nor what it covered.
Take it to Fensa or Certass, whichever one the company are registered with.

By using a Certass registered contractor you'll get:

Protection of deposit taken - in line with the insurance company's policy wording
A 10 year guarantee covering completed window and door installations
At a minimum, an offer of an insurance policy to cover the 10 year guarantee, should the certass registered contractor cease to trade
An easy way of registering your replacement windows and doors with your Local Authority at no cost to you
I read your post 3x OP. It seems that you called them out approx 5 times in 5 years. How long was your warranty? From what you said, it sounds like they're sick of coming out (and probably not getting paid for it, I assume?) and are trying to wriggle their way out of coming out again... What does your contract say? How many years?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions