Double socket limit

Posted 19th Aug 2020
I only have a normal double socket behind my tv set in the living room. I'm planning to buy a socket extension tower to plug into one of the sockets so that I can plug in the various internet and TV items but I'm concerned plugging them all in to the one socket may be a fire risk. I have the following items to plug in:
Xbox One / TV / Freeview Box / Soundbar / Wireless Router / Shield TV box.
Will this be safe and i anyone already doing the same? There was a socket calculator online that I've used before but it doesn't seem to work anymore.
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
A 13Amp extension lead will be more than enough to cope. Just dont plug in your tumble drier.

Seriously it is where the appliances produce heat it becomes a problem. IE Dishwasher, tumble drier, washing machine, electric fires etc
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 19th Aug
14 Comments
Go for it.... There is no problem there. All are low power devices
A 13Amp extension lead will be more than enough to cope. Just dont plug in your tumble drier.

Seriously it is where the appliances produce heat it becomes a problem. IE Dishwasher, tumble drier, washing machine, electric fires etc
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 19th Aug
Willy_Wonka19/08/2020 19:08

A 13Amp extension lead will be more than enough to cope. Just dont plug in …A 13Amp extension lead will be more than enough to cope. Just dont plug in your tumble drier. Seriously it is where the appliances produce heat it becomes a problem. IE Dishwasher, tumble drier, washing machine, electric fires etc

Hmmm that has me worried. I have tumble dryer plugged into an extension lead in my spare small box room as there is only one socket in there.
ncd19/08/2020 20:00

Hmmm that has me worried. I have tumble dryer plugged into an extension …Hmmm that has me worried. I have tumble dryer plugged into an extension lead in my spare small box room as there is only one socket in there.

Do you know how to add a spur?
Unfortunately I can wire a plug and a socket and that is about it. The socket is very very old one that sticks out.
ncd19/08/2020 20:06

Unfortunately I can wire a plug and a socket and that is about it. The …Unfortunately I can wire a plug and a socket and that is about it. The socket is very very old one that sticks out.

If the socket you are using is on a ring main it is actually straightforward. One piece of cable & a socket & back box & some rawl plugs & screws Youtube videos are rife. Once installed you plug your Dryer into the original ring main & any other electrics from the spurred new socket.

& if it is not in the kitchen, bathroom or going outside there is no legislation. It is classed as a DIY job.
Willy_Wonka19/08/2020 20:14

If the socket you are using is on a ring main it is actually …If the socket you are using is on a ring main it is actually straightforward. One piece of cable & a socket & back box & some rawl plugs & screws Youtube videos are rife. Once installed you plug your Dryer into the original ring main & any other electrics from the spurred new socket. & if it is not in the kitchen, bathroom or going outside there is no legislation. It is classed as a DIY job.

Ah OK, thanks very much for your advice. I'll have look into it. Better safe than sorry!
I have a double socket behind my tv with 2, 8 plug extensions both full with plugs, no problem.
Even though you have them all plugged in you won't be using them all at the same time so they will be in low power mode.
markvirgo21/08/2020 22:40

Even though you have them all plugged in you won't be using them all at …Even though you have them all plugged in you won't be using them all at the same time so they will be in low power mode.

That would be an electricians first mistake. Presumption.

When a proper electrician wires your house they presume the worst & they build in wiring that allows upgrades. Typical example is electric showers & the size of the wires.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 21st Aug
Willy_Wonka21/08/2020 22:49

That would be an electricians first mistake. Presumption. When a proper …That would be an electricians first mistake. Presumption. When a proper electrician wires your house they presume the worst & they build in wiring that allows upgrades. Typical example is electric showers & the size of the wires.

Its an extension lead not a rewire and im speking from experiance on my setup with gaming, audio and TV.

Manufacturers have the draw rates advertised
markvirgo21/08/2020 23:01

Its an extension lead not a rewire and im speking from experiance on my …Its an extension lead not a rewire and im speking from experiance on my setup with gaming, audio and TV.Manufacturers have the draw rates advertised

Yes I know & as stated above it is very easy to overload an extension lead with the wrong appliances.
Willy_Wonka21/08/2020 23:03

Yes I know & as stated above it is very easy to overload an extension lead …Yes I know & as stated above it is very easy to overload an extension lead with the wrong appliances.

I doubt if he will be plugging a washing machine, dryer or heater behind his tv
markvirgo21/08/2020 23:05

I doubt if he will be plugging a washing machine, dryer or heater behind …I doubt if he will be plugging a washing machine, dryer or heater behind his tv

"Hmmm that has me worried. I have tumble dryer plugged into an extension lead in my spare small box room as there is only one socket in there."

See above. Assumption is not good.
Post a comment
@
    Text