Groups

Downgrade from Vista Premium to XP?

Anyone one know if its possible for me to get Dell or Microsoft to send me a free XP disc to replace the pile of utter s41t (Vista Premium) they are asking me to use?

I only bought the PC a couple of months ago and whilst its constant crashing mid task have been driving me nuts I've persevered with it wanting to give it a real chance. Now, I have just taken a call from a VERY angry missus who has just been mid online exam for a job she really wanted and it has shut itself down....... this really is the final straw!!!!

Anyone know either party above will sympathise with me and send me a disc FOC?

30 Comments

can blame u, thinkin of downgradin my laptop to xp cos vista take the p155

FOC and microsoft? I doubt it but as they say if you do not ask you do not get......
    By the sounds of the trouble you are having why dont you take the pc back?

vista sucks lol everyone wants to downgrade

i love my vista premium absolutely no problems EVER have used it almost 18 months , maybe your pc neeeds taking back to factory settings and having a gooold old cleanout

This is the reason why I am sticking with XP for the foreseeable future. I think Dell do offer XP at the point of sale. Cannot see them sending you a free disc now though.

DIVA1977;2496127

i love my vista premium absolutely no problems EVER have used it almost … i love my vista premium absolutely no problems EVER have used it almost 18 months , maybe your pc neeeds taking back to factory settings and having a gooold old cleanout

yer but people who run software and games find it pants as its incompatible
    plus the layout is confusing when youve been using xp since like 2001

Predikuesi;2496144

This is the reason why I am sticking with XP for the foreseeable future. … This is the reason why I am sticking with XP for the foreseeable future. I think Dell do offer XP at the point of sale. Cannot see them sending you a free disc now though.

Yer with every xp dell computer sold it comes with vista when your ready to upgrade ...........:-D

simon012;2496096

FOC and microsoft? I doubt it but as they say if you do not ask you do … FOC and microsoft? I doubt it but as they say if you do not ask you do not get......By the sounds of the trouble you are having why dont you take the pc back?

i agree probably the PC in general is faulty or maybe needs a good cleanout or check for updates.
    I know my mum always whining computer slow blah blah blah blah , i look she hasnt updated or virus scan or nothing in months i spend a day sorting it and hey presto its runs like a dream.
    Like it dont work now shes done something as my sis can get online on her laptop but mum all of suddden cant with her pc, welll defo soemthing mum has done as they are NOT networked sis used same connection as mum does

dandoc2;2496159

yer but people who run software and games find it pants as its … yer but people who run software and games find it pants as its incompatible plus the layout is confusing when youve been using xp since like 2001

i run software, i play games all the time and i was using xp as soon as it came out.
    We have 3 pc's for 2 adults here ( only othe rperson in house is my 6months old)as me and hubby big users and hubby likes to be up to date as much as we can afford to be with our computers
    The only people that i knw that have had genuine problems with vista were the ones running the basic, loads of my online friedns love premium as much as me

SuperEd

have vista ultimate no problems but i do prefer the layout of xp

DIVA1977;2496175

i run software, i play games all the time and i was using xp as soon as … i run software, i play games all the time and i was using xp as soon as it came out.We have 3 pc's for 2 adults here ( only othe rperson in house is my 6months old)as me and hubby big users and hubby likes to be up to date as much as we can afford to be with our computersThe only people that i knw that have had genuine problems with vista were the ones running the basic, loads of my online friedns love premium as much as me

yer i had the basic but then sold my laptop to my sis as i couldnt use it

wish they released a sort of go back to xp style but then it makes vistas look pointless

Original Poster

Got a laptop and a PC within about 3 weeks of each other, both brand new, both dell, both preinstalled with Vista Premium. Laptop is worse than the desktop and crashed (blue screen) on the very first startup! Desktop more reliable but still crashed a couple of times in the past 2 weeks.

DIVA1977;2496163

i agree probably the PC in general is faulty or maybe needs a good … i agree probably the PC in general is faulty or maybe needs a good cleanout or check for updates.I know my mum always whining computer slow blah blah blah blah , i look she hasnt updated or virus scan or nothing in months i spend a day sorting it and hey presto its runs like a dream.Like it dont work now shes done something as my sis can get online on her laptop but mum all of suddden cant with her pc, welll defo soemthing mum has done as they are NOT networked sis used same connection as mum does

Take a look here.
    ]http//ww…la/

Sounds much more likely that it is a hardware related or possibly dodgy 3rd-party software\spyware\virus etc than OS instability. Vista is pretty stable for a Microsoft OS, I've only had it crash when I've had a hardware problem (overheating...:-().

If its crashing all the time as you suggest then return it, but if you want XP you will likely have to purchase it (or obtain elsewhere...)

Jumpingphil;2496346

Take a look … Take a look here.]http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/212079/latest-microsoft-update-and-zoneala/

cool ty i think ive taken zone alarm out previously but i wouldnt swear to it as not problem i use myself, but think it came on free disk or something with pc

Vista home premium service pack 1 is now available from micrsoft update page lots of bugs have been ironed out apparently!!!!!!

people moan that vista is slow, but does the pc / lappy have minimum specs to run it ? :? my laptop with a 1.8 celeron & 512mb ram runs vista basic like a dream, and my pc (coughdellcough) runs it perfectly, never had a problem, neither has crashed etc, and any software i use works perfectly :thumbsup:

You can legally downgrade from Vista Business or Vista Ultimate to XP however the other versions of Vista are not included in this.

The problems you've detailed are not Vista specific and could occur again with XP so I think you'd be better finding the actual problem rather than blaming the operating system.

John

Banned

Vista is far superior as long as you do a clean install when you get any DELL PC after formatting the HDD.

Its the DELL added junk that causes all the problems!

Banned

I'm no fan of Vista :).

If any of your family / friends have a DELL XP disc the odds are good that you could use it to reinstall the computer.

As for comments about not having the required hardware to run Vista... I find it can still be extremely slow, unresponsive and generally poor even on a C2D with 2GB of RAM.

well im a big pc gamer and have just installed Vista about a month ago.
    Absoloutely amazing. dno why everyone bitches about it.
    looks shiny and sleek as well

vixygwim;2498205

I'm no fan of Vista :).If any of your family / friends have a DELL XP … I'm no fan of Vista :).If any of your family / friends have a DELL XP disc the odds are good that you could use it to reinstall the computer.As for comments about not having the required hardware to run Vista... I find it can still be extremely slow, unresponsive and generally poor even on a C2D with 2GB of RAM.

The disc will need a license, an OEM copies will be locked to the original PC.

Sounds like you need to sort your PC out, my two Vista C2D machines run smoothly and even the weedy Conroe 1.2Ghz media machine is having no difficulty with it.

John

Banned

Johnmcl7;2498330

The disc will need a license, an OEM copies will be locked to the … The disc will need a license, an OEM copies will be locked to the original PC.Sounds like you need to sort your PC out, my two Vista C2D machines run smoothly and even the weedy Conroe 1.2Ghz media machine is having no difficulty with it.John

Computers are fine, it's Vista pure and simple. If XP can run brilliantly without fault yet Vista is throwing a BSOD out of the pram on a cold boot, not to mention having moments where it doesn't respond......... not to mention plenty of software that doesn't function properly...... it's pretty conclusive.

The OEM copies you refer to are 1:1 copies of a master CD, there is no difference other than perhaps the SP revision (0/1/2/3).

XP / Vista look into the DELL BIOS to determine whether or not it should activate itself........................ that's all. I've done it with every DELL machine I've purchased so you can't convince me otherwise. That sticker with the key on it is for the most part ignored as it's not required, the OEM CDs all have a master key pre-configured.

vixygwim;2498413

Computers are fine, it's Vista pure and simple. If XP can run brilliantly … Computers are fine, it's Vista pure and simple. If XP can run brilliantly without fault yet Vista is throwing a BSOD out of the pram on a cold boot, not to mention having moments where it doesn't respond......... not to mention plenty of software that doesn't function properly...... it's pretty conclusive.

No it's not conclusive at all - if you want to keep blaming the operating system rather than fix the problem (which is not the operating system) fine however don't expect anyone to take you or your technical capability seriously. Not all of my machines have run perfectly out of the box regardless of whether they were using Vista, XP, 2K or a Linux distro however I found the source of the problem and they all work as they should.

The OEM copies you refer to are 1:1 copies of a master CD, there is no … The OEM copies you refer to are 1:1 copies of a master CD, there is no difference other than perhaps the SP revision (0/1/2/3).

I wasn't referring to the CD I was referring to a license - as I detailed earlier Vista Home Premium licenses cannot be used to downgrade to XP.

XP / Vista look into the DELL BIOS to determine whether or not it should … XP / Vista look into the DELL BIOS to determine whether or not it should activate itself........................ that's all. I've done it with every DELL machine I've purchased so you can't convince me otherwise. That sticker with the key on it is for the most part ignored as it's not required, the OEM CDs all have a master key pre-configured.

A valid license is required, if you do not have a Vista Ultimate/Business license for the machine you cannot legally activate it without a valid license which is not activated on another machine.

John

Banned

Johnmcl7;2498526

No it's not conclusive at all - if you want to keep blaming the operating … No it's not conclusive at all - if you want to keep blaming the operating system rather than fix the problem (which is not the operating system) fine however don't expect anyone to take you or your technical capability seriously. Not all of my machines have run perfectly out of the box regardless of whether they were using Vista, XP, 2K or a Linux distro however I found the source of the problem and they all work as they should.

I will keep blaming the OS as the h/w is not at fault. I couldn't care less if you want to defend Vista and try to ridicule me.

As for the problems you've had with XP, 2K / Linux distro.... was that a hardware fault or a problem with the OS?

As for the legality... I'm not even going there because a lot of us don't care.

vista is really good, fast and less tempermental

Had no problems with Vista in the 16 months I've been using it so it's definitely not an OS fault unless I've got a special version I prefer it over any OS now. Don't even like looking at XP any more! However my Laptop has got C2D at 1.83 GHz and 2GB RAM and runs the aero theme fine. People on here are running Vista fine with less.

Banned

I applaud Microsoft when it comes to Vista's security (I'm not talking about the basic UAC stuff) but after a few months using it I realized I would be happier just switching back to XP. I'm sure some people prefer Vista but I'd rather not use it.

Don' t misread what I'm saying... it worked.. for the most part, although with some minor bugs. Stability wasn't much of an issue, it's certainly not the case that I couldn't get Vista to work at all... that's not what I'm saying.

I haven't yet tried it with SP1 applied but I'm not going to hold my breath :).

As of right now.. this moment Vista offers me nothing over XP... that's pretty much what it comes down to. Hopefully the next version of Windows does.

sod the lot of ye, give me windows ME any day

vixygwim;2498413

Computers are fine, it's Vista pure and simple. If XP can run brilliantly … Computers are fine, it's Vista pure and simple. If XP can run brilliantly without fault yet Vista is throwing a BSOD out of the pram on a cold boot, not to mention having moments where it doesn't respond......... not to mention plenty of software that doesn't function properly...... it's pretty conclusive.

Did you actually read the OP at all? A nearly new computer randomly crashing and resetting and you are saying it is 100% the operating system to blame... Where does the OP say they have run XP on the system without fault? You can draw whatever pretty conclusions you want but please don't start giving your duff advice onto others!:roll:

Banned

jah128;2502685

Did you actually read the OP at all? A nearly new computer randomly … Did you actually read the OP at all? A nearly new computer randomly crashing and resetting and you are saying it is 100% the operating system to blame... Where does the OP say they have run XP on the system without fault? You can draw whatever pretty conclusions you want but please don't start giving your duff advice onto others!:roll:

Well said! :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Are these two things distinctly different to you?32157
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …201548
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523423
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846300

See more discussions