Groups

download speed ? 5mb

I've checked my download speed via various websites and all of them are showing around the 5mbps mark. Now my BT broadband contrast is finishing. There are deals of 76mbps and 100 from Virgin. Is getting these fibre broadband deals going to make a difference to my broadband speed considering it's only get 5mbps currently. There's not much point paying for 100mbps if I can only get 5..

10 Comments

Obviously fibre broadband will give you much higher speeds.

Original Poster

I've had a look and it says 59mbps average. I don't know much about all of this, first time doing it myself . So is that what I can roughly expect with fibre?

Pop the actual phone line number you're using in here - dslchecker.bt.com/ You'll see the ADSL services/speeds available plus FTTC (e.g. BT Infinity and whatever other providers decide to market it as) speeds. Contrast this with the VM speeds and services, they provider their own network.

shubyz

I've had a look and it says 59mbps average. I don't know much about all … I've had a look and it says 59mbps average. I don't know much about all of this, first time doing it myself . So is that what I can roughly expect with fibre?

​Virgin will 99% of the time give you full advertised speed. Openreach is pretty much a guess and will range from 5mb to full speed, I would use the cooling off period to cancel and swap to a lower grade package if you're not getting good speeds.

kester76

​Virgin will 99% of the time give you full advertised speed. Openreach is … ​Virgin will 99% of the time give you full advertised speed. Openreach is pretty much a guess and will range from 5mb to full speed, I would use the cooling off period to cancel and swap to a lower grade package if you're not getting good speeds.

​VM speed usually good in off-peak time.

aaqeel

​VM speed usually good in off-peak time.

Depends where you live and if the area is highly subscribed. We live in a good area always over the 150Mb we pay very little for

eslick

Depends where you live and if the area is highly subscribed. We live in a … Depends where you live and if the area is highly subscribed. We live in a good area always over the 150Mb we pay very little for

​Yes it depends on area really. Lucky you. Our speed sometimes drops under 10mb in peak time.

I pay for 100Mb from Virgin and get 104Mb at peak times. In fact I've never tested the speed on lan without getting 104Mb.

If you only got 5Mb with BT, don't go for another ISP that uses the BT line - they all just rent and resell the line to you, plus if any maintenance is needed it has to through both your ISP and BT. I use Plusnet and it's a pain if they need an engineer. BT like to drop their rivals in it by not turning up.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheapest Place to Buy Half Decent LED Bulbs - Bayonet & Spots54
      2. Upgrading qacoustic speaker setup33
      3. Google assistant notification811
      4. cheap glasses websites811

See more discussions