Downloading Videos on Android OS?

Found 18th Dec 2017
Can anyone please tell me if they know of a video downloader add-on which works on android mobiles?

Presume I'll be looking at Firefox since previous desktop experience shows Chrome is useless for that sort of thing; video downloadhelper doesn't work at all there and their "web store" won't even allow anything which is able to download Youtube videos.

Have tried Flash Video Downloader, recognises some videos but won't download them, and Video Downloader professional, which will install but then app won't even open!
Things are further complicated by the new Firefox 57 "upgrade" seemingly having broken so many extensions (45 ESR still works perfectly fine on my ancient desktop Linux OS)

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help.
Community Updates
10 Comments
From YouTube?
Original Poster
Not specifically no, though I'd want that as well most download sites, ideally looking for something like VDH which seldom disappoints anywhere (except maybe at Vidzi or anything needing rtmp )
bertiebasset1 h, 41 m ago

Not specifically no, though I'd want that as well most download sites, …Not specifically no, though I'd want that as well most download sites, ideally looking for something like VDH which seldom disappoints anywhere (except maybe at Vidzi or anything needing rtmp )

Videorder.

Edit, may be spelt videoder
Edited by: "shadey12" 18th Dec 2017
Original Poster
Thanks, it's the second spelling without the R. No time now but will download and test it later and report back.
TubeMate.
Original Poster
terriclarkfan1 h, 14 m ago

TubeMate.

Thanks, someone already suggested that one in pm.
Installed and found it's been hobbled from downloading music by US courts, so essentially useless.
Original Poster
shadey1218th Dec

Videorder.Edit, may be spelt videoder

Checked it out and it's a very nice simple app, works a treat on YouTube .Liked the way it simultaneously downloads in multiple chunks and puts them together, like IDM does, makes downloading very quick.

Problem is it seems to be compatible with a very limited number of sites. Tried to download a video from one which I use regularly, thevideo.me, and it didn't want to know. Plus it being a free-standing app means there's no protection from redirections to adware sites which an adblocker protects from in browsers and is very common on video download sites.

Really think I'm looking for a browser add-on, if there is one which works, though I'll definitely keep Videoder if only for Youtube downloads, so thanks again for the tip.
Edited by: "bertiebasset" 21st Dec 2017
Try "UC Browser" and "Video Downloader for UC Browser".
Original Poster
cecilmcroberts18th Dec

Try "UC Browser" and "Video Downloader for UC Browser".

VERY quick, even much faster than FF. Seems to have taken over my whole mobile if I leave it open*
Why does a browser need phone access? Anybody's guess!
Tbh not worked out how to download vids yet but having a lot of fun playing with it and learning how to do old tricks in a new way.
Pretty heavily ad-laden but I managed to live with that in Opera back in the old days at the turn of the century when it was by far the best browswer out there by a long way.
Possibly it eats a lot of data because it keeps returning back to that original homepage even though I've set up duckduckgo as homepage, and can't yet see a way to disable or remove google search, but time will tell.
All in all a lot of fun and so very quick, thanks for the pointer.

*UPDATE - Program takes over the whole machine whether you leave it open or "close" it, always stays running in background memory. No biggie except...
Google search on the phone's welcome screen is really annoying and there seems to be NO way to disable/remove it.
Edited by: "bertiebasset" 21st Dec 2017
bertiebasset5 h, 10 m ago

VERY quick, even much faster than FF. Seems to have taken over my whole …VERY quick, even much faster than FF. Seems to have taken over my whole mobile if I leave it open. Why does a browser need phone access? Anybody's guess!Tbh not worked out how to download vids yet but having a lot of fun playing with it and learning how to do old tricks in a new way.Pretty heavily ad-laden but I managed to live with that in Opera back in the old days at the turn of the century when it was by far the best browswer out there by a long way. Possibly it eats a lot of data because it keeps returning back to that original homepage even though I've set up duckduckgo as homepage, and can't yet see a way to disable or remove google search, but time will tell.All in all a lot of fun and so very quick, thanks for the pointer.

It has a zillion add-ons also for the add removal etc. I will forward them later this evening when I finish work for you. It certainly is one of the most customisable browsers.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants