Downpipe come away from gutter

Found 4th Jun 2015
My parents paid out over £700 about 5 months ago now, to a roofing contractor (who actually owns the business), to replace all of the gutter around the back and sides of the house and also put in a new downpipe. About 6 weeks ago, the downpipe came away at the top from the gutter (seems to have slotted in to it at the top). The downpipe is now only being held in place by a bracket closer to the ground (3 storey house).

My mum has tried numerous times to contact the owner (who did the work) and left messages but he has been ignoring them. I tried ringing from my mobile and it seemed to do the trick - he picked up (think he was ignoring my parents). I explained what the problem was and sent him pictures of the problem. He told me that he would ring them, but was going on holiday for a week. He has been back for over a week now, but is again ignoring my mum's calls and answer phone messages. I'm going to try him tonight again.

Just wondering, if he tells me that he will turn up to do the work and still doesn't, is there anything from a legal point of view, that can be done about this - trading standards or something? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
19 Comments

Do you have a picture that you could post here of the downpipe? It could be a relatively easy fix.

Trading standards are probably your best bet, but if you want to be slightly underhand, try getting their neighbours to ring for a quote - you can then collar him while he is next door?

Original Poster

rmil69

Do you have a picture that you could post here of the downpipe? It could … Do you have a picture that you could post here of the downpipe? It could be a relatively easy fix.

I do, but you would need a really long ladder to get up there and I don't have one. My dad is 84 years old and my mum 70 and I don't have anybody to do it either. Also, there seems to be a gap in a piece of gutter - behind it - you can see an area of daylight through the piece at the back.

Original Poster

Will this cost my parents a lot to do, if it goes through a small claims court? They are a local firm, advertising on Facebook, etc, and have been in business for over 16 years.

Just get the window cleaner to sort it out. It sounds like the offset bend has just come out of the outlet. It sounds like It could do with some more down pipe clips too.

Sophiasky

Will this cost my parents a lot to do, if it goes through a small claims … Will this cost my parents a lot to do, if it goes through a small claims court? They are a local firm, advertising on Facebook, etc, and have been in business for over 16 years.

If you have all the receipts/quotes etc and have proof of payment then I'd suggest making a comment on their Facebook page but keep it real, keep it polite and stick to the facts and state that if they do not make good their work that you will seek legal action/advice.
Make sure you keep a screen grab of the comment for evidence

builders are very bad at rectifying problems this long after the work. he should have put more than one bracket. the glue has come off. they are glued together.

your best bet is to get a quote for someone who will do it from a ladder. some roofers won't do it with a ladder.

Banned

mutley1

builders are very bad at rectifying problems this long after the work. he … builders are very bad at rectifying problems this long after the work. he should have put more than one bracket. the glue has come off. they are glued together. your best bet is to get a quote for someone who will do it from a ladder. some roofers won't do it with a ladder.

All builders are bad?? okay....

mutley1

the glue has come off. they are glued together.

You don't glue gutter and downpipes together, the insufficient clipping is why it came loose and popped out the spigot.

£700 for all rhones to be replaced inc downpipe on a 3 storey. Bit of a bargain, but then on the downside corners have probably been cut or lack of workmanship whilst installing replacing them.

I would get someone local to sort it for cheap. The roofer you got could argue a slate hit the Rhone in the wind and knocked it out. No way to prove it imo.

Edit...sorry just noticed you said front and side rhones and 1 downpipe. Personally I think a claim is out of question and could go no where due the above reason. However if you got a quote/invoice/receipt then it may State on the terms or spec that 12 month warranty on the work etc.

However I know roofing companies that state in the terms that damage from wind will not be accepted even within 12 months.

For a downpipe, I think it would be crazy to go to a small claims for that for the hassle. If the guy ain't answering then, I would take the hit and check local gumtree services for a self employed, non vat reg roofer/tradesman and they will do it cheap.

My 2 cents

Edited by: "WDTV123" 4th Jun 2015

How come your parents had to pay £700 to the owner of the property? Roofing Contractor is the owner?

going to your local paper may help, it does here in Bristol

Not all builders are bad, however this one seems to be.
If only one downpipe clip for 3 storey building then it was inevitable to move at some point. There should have been 4 min 5 better. Most roofers/builders whatever usually screw the offsets to prevent them coming apart but use too long a screw ending with blocked downpipes.
I think you'll end up paying someone else to remedy this for you.
Some councils have "community enerprises" which carry out maintenance for the elderly at reduced cost, worth checking.
Location?

pinkleponkle

You don't glue gutter and downpipes together, the insufficient clipping … You don't glue gutter and downpipes together, the insufficient clipping is why it came loose and popped out the spigot.

I have seen them glued together at the joints for re-enforcement. the insufficient clippings are the prime cause here I would agree.

lukeybuilder

All builders are bad?? okay....

I didn't say all builders. I find that those who did not do a good job in the first place like this one is unlikely to come back.

I find even good builders are unlikely to come back of they are busy with other jobs and this one won't generate money

Banned

mutley1

I didn't say all builders. I find that those who did not do a good job in … I didn't say all builders. I find that those who did not do a good job in the first place like this one is unlikely to come back. I find even good builders are unlikely to come back of they are busy with other jobs and this one won't generate money

I must be in the minority then. On the very rare occasion I get a complaint ( 3 in 12 years) I go back immediately and nip it in the bud.

lukeybuilder

I must be in the minority then. On the very rare occasion I get a … I must be in the minority then. On the very rare occasion I get a complaint ( 3 in 12 years) I go back immediately and nip it in the bud.

you don't work in london then where builders have more work than they can manage.

Banned

mutley1

you don't work in london then where builders have more work than they can … you don't work in london then where builders have more work than they can manage.

I'm booked up all summer and working weekends....

there's no excuses. anyone moans you go back and deal with it. reputation is everything.
Post a comment
@
    Text