Downpipe. Help?

Posted 29th Jul
Realised today that our downpipe has what I understand is called a boss pipe fitting near its base and just above our patio. At some point there has been a separate waste in to the downpipe from what would've been the old kitchen. This has long been disconnected however there is a hole approx 60mm diameter where this pipe once was. Looked online for some form of capping but only can find 32mm and 40mm diameters which I'm assuming are for the small adjoining waste pipe rather than this larger hole in the downpipe itself.

Appreciate any advice on how best to plug from either a plumber or someone more clued up and 'handy' than myself.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Is it plastic pipe or cast iron
It’s a soil pipe. There is a rubber you buy which is 60mm with either a 32mm hole or 40mm hole. You can then buy a 32 or 40 mm stop end if you want to cap it off.
joxeruk200029/07/2020 22:36

It’s a soil pipe. There is a rubber you buy which is 60mm with either a 3 …It’s a soil pipe. There is a rubber you buy which is 60mm with either a 32mm hole or 40mm hole. You can then buy a 32 or 40 mm stop end if you want to cap it off.

Thanks for the info. Any chance of a link to this 60mm rubber you mention?
Is it your soil pipe or down pipe from guttering?
If you looking to plug a gap where the pipe once was you can get these
drainagesuperstore.co.uk/pro…tml

The other option If you take a picture with a ruler then pop to your local plumbing place they should be able to help you get the right part.
jplewis7630/07/2020 08:12

Thanks for the info. Any chance of a link to this 60mm rubber you mention?

On Amazon just type soil pipe boss adapter.
Thanks
Looks like a slip coupler might be the tidiest fix but the pipe and adjoining waste pipes look welded tight so maybe a fidly option to install. Will cut off the remains of the broken boss and go with a new strap type boss and a rubber plug to block off. Thanks for the tips everyone
jplewis7630/07/2020 11:01

Looks like a slip coupler might be the tidiest fix but the pipe and …Looks like a slip coupler might be the tidiest fix but the pipe and adjoining waste pipes look welded tight so maybe a fidly option to install. Will cut off the remains of the broken boss and go with a new strap type boss and a rubber plug to block off. Thanks for the tips everyone

Don’t forget the cap end. It would be a lot cheaper to go to a plumbing shop or builders merchants than go to amazon I think. If you have one local I’m sure they’ll be happy to help.
joxeruk200030/07/2020 13:00

Don’t forget the cap end. It would be a lot cheaper to go to a plumbing s …Don’t forget the cap end. It would be a lot cheaper to go to a plumbing shop or builders merchants than go to amazon I think. If you have one local I’m sure they’ll be happy to help.

What do you mean by a cap end? Different to a rubber 40mm or 32mm plug for the outlet of the boss fitting?
jplewis7630/07/2020 13:05

What do you mean by a cap end? Different to a rubber 40mm or 32mm plug for …What do you mean by a cap end? Different to a rubber 40mm or 32mm plug for the outlet of the boss fitting?

The rubber fits in the boss and it has either a 32mm or 40mm hole in it. So you’d then buy a 32mm or 40mm cap end. Also a slip coupler is 110mm so I’m not sure why you’d be considering that.
joxeruk200030/07/2020 13:09

The rubber fits in the boss and it has either a 32mm or 40mm hole in it. …The rubber fits in the boss and it has either a 32mm or 40mm hole in it. So you’d then buy a 32mm or 40mm cap end. Also a slip coupler is 110mm so I’m not sure why you’d be considering that.

Thanks, yes, that's what I'm thinking. Rubber plug that I refer to is the cap end
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants