Downstairs toilet constantly filling

Posted 9th Nov
hey guys just needed some plumbing advice now i moved into a new build in january and i flushed my downstairs toilet earlier this evening and as i came downstairs i can hear water. so i found the toilet bowl just filling constant. now its a built in cistern which is annoying so i cant do much to get to the top but what i could get to was the valve that controls the water pressure. watched a couple youtube videos where if i turned down the pressure it would help but still no. as soon as it starts to fill the water comes into the bowl. now i have turned the water off now because dont waste water and the noise is annoying. i have contacted the estate agents and funny enough i have someone coming to check for snags in December but what else could it be. thank you guys. you guys always help
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
There has to be full access to the cistern somewhere along the lines. Do you have a handle or push button flush? If it's push button keep pushing it to see if that stops the water flow (they can sometimes get stuck, the indication is that there is less resistance than normal when pressing it)
Edited by: "OllieSt" 9th Nov
OllieSt09/11/2019 20:28

There has to be full access to the cistern somewhere along the lines. Do …There has to be full access to the cistern somewhere along the lines. Do you have a handle or push button flush? If it's push button keep pushing it to see if that stops the water flow (they can sometimes get stuck, the indication is that there is less resistance than normal when pressing it)

I tried pushing both buttons and nothing i even removed the buttoms from the wall to check but nothing. 2 hoses are connected to the buttons nothing seems wrong.
38945506-PDGDj.jpgAlso its all tiled in so i dont know
Had the exact same problem a couple of weeks ago. Took plumber 2 minutes to fix. There's a big fat washer where the water goes out of the cistern into the pan. It was perished to virtually nothing. He just turned it, lifted it out and replaced the washer.

38945510-mv2PE.jpg

Oh, didn't read all the post. Well, once you get to the cistern, that could be your issue.
Edited by: "deeky" 9th Nov
adeljay9209/11/2019 20:35

I tried pushing both buttons and nothing i even removed the buttoms from …I tried pushing both buttons and nothing i even removed the buttoms from the wall to check but nothing. 2 hoses are connected to the buttons nothing seems wrong. [Image] Also its all tiled in so i dont know

I would be amazed if there's no access. What is behind that wall (another room etc)

There has to be some way
OllieSt09/11/2019 20:37

I would be amazed if there's no access. What is behind that wall (another …I would be amazed if there's no access. What is behind that wall (another room etc)There has to be some way

Yes behind it is the cistern. It weird they wouldnt give it access because now if i had to get to the cistern i would have to break the tiles
adeljay9209/11/2019 20:43

Yes behind it is the cistern. It weird they wouldnt give it access because …Yes behind it is the cistern. It weird they wouldnt give it access because now if i had to get to the cistern i would have to break the tiles

No that cannot possibly be your scenario. Not on a new build. Look at the video in my previous post
OllieSt09/11/2019 20:44

No that cannot possibly be your scenario. Not on a new build. Look at …No that cannot possibly be your scenario. Not on a new build. Look at the video in my previous post

Oh i wish it was like that. This new build is gonna give me problems. Look at this
38945616-Yye2r.jpg38945616-CULsx.jpg38945616-I6ygY.jpg
OllieSt09/11/2019 20:44

No that cannot possibly be your scenario. Not on a new build. Look at …No that cannot possibly be your scenario. Not on a new build. Look at the video in my previous post

So as you can the cistern is just sitting behind the wall and the white and green hoses i guess are like pressure hoses which pump air into the cistern. Now what i dont understand even to turn the water off i had to break an arm because its in that gap. Well a surveyor is coming soon and will bring this up
adeljay9209/11/2019 20:50

Oh i wish it was like that. This new build is gonna give me problems. Look …Oh i wish it was like that. This new build is gonna give me problems. Look at this [Image] [Image] [Image]

Ouch. Do you reckon the cistern could be lowered into the false wall after water has been turned off and it's been disconnected?
OllieSt09/11/2019 20:55

Ouch. Do you reckon the cistern could be lowered into the false wall …Ouch. Do you reckon the cistern could be lowered into the false wall after water has been turned off and it's been disconnected?

Only explanation i guess. Its a joke what these people do. If i had a leak i would have to break tiles, to turn the water off to the tap in the bathroom i would have to break the tiles.
Edited by: "adeljay92" 9th Nov
adeljay9209/11/2019 20:56

Only explanation i guess. Its a joke what these people do. If i had a leak …Only explanation i guess. Its a joke what these people do. If i had a leak i would have to break tiles, to turn the water off to the tap in the bathroom i would have to break the tiles.

It seems complete madness.
Joys of buying a new build , couldn’t do it myself
I think try pressing in the blue top of the cistern. Usually there may be something stuck such as build up of something and just requires a push. Press a few times and it should go back to normal
OllieSt09/11/2019 20:55

Ouch. Do you reckon the cistern could be lowered into the false wall …Ouch. Do you reckon the cistern could be lowered into the false wall after water has been turned off and it's been disconnected?

Not really a built in the wall cistern is usually sealed the new built guys don't care they done there job and moved on, company who sold it probably thought it may last the few years warranty but hopefully there's a warranty and they come out take the tiles off and fix it but u could probably get your hand in there and try pull the thing it usually gets stuck. Sometimes my toilet won't fill the thing get stuck I was thinking of having a cistern like this and I am thinking of putting on panels that can be removed and adding tiles too that otherwise I will be having these problems nowadays toilet systems aren't built too last as everything else aswell.
Edited by: "MynameisM" 9th Nov
MynameisM09/11/2019 21:57

Not really a built in the wall cistern is usually sealed the new built …Not really a built in the wall cistern is usually sealed the new built guys don't care they done there job and moved on, company who sold it probably thought it may last the few years warranty but hopefully there's a warranty and they come out take the tiles off and fix it but u could probably get your hand in there and try pull the thing it usually gets stuck. Sometimes my toilet won't fill the thing get stuck I was thinking of having a cistern like this and I am thinking of putting on panels that can be removed and adding tiles too that otherwise I will be having these problems nowadays toilet systems aren't built too last as everything else aswell.

If what you're saying is correct and there is no proper access to that cistern, it's sheer wickedness.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 10th Nov
Guys update i got.it working again i hope. Just got my hand in there and start fiddling around with the plunger thing. Guys do you think when the surveyor comes i should advise him to have access to the cistern. Could they do anything?
I see there’s a small shelf above the cistern. My one, has a rectangle cut out of the tiles on the shelf above with a cistern access panel similar to This from Toolstation. It may not be an ideal scenario but they should be able to cut out a rectangle rather than pull off the tiles maybe
MynameisM09/11/2019 21:57

Not really a built in the wall cistern is usually sealed the new built …Not really a built in the wall cistern is usually sealed the new built guys don't care they done there job and moved on, company who sold it probably thought it may last the few years warranty but hopefully there's a warranty and they come out take the tiles off and fix it but u could probably get your hand in there and try pull the thing it usually gets stuck. Sometimes my toilet won't fill the thing get stuck I was thinking of having a cistern like this and I am thinking of putting on panels that can be removed and adding tiles too that otherwise I will be having these problems nowadays toilet systems aren't built too last as everything else aswell.

look up "BUTTONFIX" works better than the tat hatches as you can remove a complete panel any size you get them built to
adeljay9209/11/2019 22:53

Guys update i got.it working again i hope. Just got my hand in there and …Guys update i got.it working again i hope. Just got my hand in there and start fiddling around with the plunger thing. Guys do you think when the surveyor comes i should advise him to have access to the cistern. Could they do anything?

Moan your backside off politely that this shows how badly fitted / specced it is, if a new estate maybe kick off a group moan for rectification.
Just my 2 cents, could the entire wall be a panel with the tiles stuck to it, how does the waste go out?
Also, is that an edging strip just above the push buttons or is it the flat end of the tiles, could the shelf be a lid?
esar10/11/2019 13:10

Also, is that an edging strip just above the push buttons or is it the …Also, is that an edging strip just above the push buttons or is it the flat end of the tiles, could the shelf be a lid?

All of the drainage pipework is behind and im pretty certain its all tiled in but ill have a closer look
adeljay9209/11/2019 20:56

Only explanation i guess. Its a joke what these people do. If i had a leak …Only explanation i guess. Its a joke what these people do. If i had a leak i would have to break tiles, to turn the water off to the tap in the bathroom i would have to break the tiles.

But say with a shower the chances of a leak are rare and the valves can usually be replaced in situ. But a cistern has washers moving parts that can be faulty at any time and should be assessable without breaking tiles and having to find and replace same tiles might be a nightmare.

Just looked at images and all appear to be behind the buttons panel and you need that height to get flush(unless pumped) and that behind looks like some type of narrow plastic tank?
Edited by: "morrig" 10th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants