DPF fault Audi A6 diesel️️️️

Posted 19th Dec 2019
Hi

Car has had the fault displayed since last night, I am planning to do forced regen by driving at relatively low gear high rev for a few minutes.

Car is 5 years old and has done 60 k was recently serviced at Audi.

We do short drives, aware that's a common cause.

Any advice.

Also planning to use additives in fuel...what's your experience
Wynn's Forte etc

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
I heard using premium diesel fuel might help e.g. shell v power diesel, bp ultimate etc.
To regen the car needs to get up to temperature. Ideally in needs a good run.A few minutes at low revs won’t do it. Alternatively a garage with the right equipment will be able to force it.
DPF regen needs high exhaust temps -you might get away with a couple of good runs (not just a few minutes) where you get the car up to temperature and keep it there, but if not things to check:
thermostat
glow plugs
clean the EGR

using good quality fuel and low saps oil help.
You would need to run it up the motorway for at least 20 minutes in 3rd gear doing 70 to burn it off
Decent fuel ie shell premium and then a good blast down the motorway at high rev should hopefully fix it. If not it’s to the garage
Yep as constant revs as you can. If you let them drop it will just stop regen.
In my Vectra I would go out late , of very early and get onto the motorway speed up to 70 and drop gears until I hit 2750 -3000 reves for 20 mins. Turn round and do the same thing back home. From memory after a regen the DPFis still 70% full. All the regens in the world will not lower it below 70%.
Edited by: "bigwheels" 19th Dec 2019
Halfords offer a service to clean the DPF where they remove it and soak it in some fluid.

Might be best to trade for a petrol or Electric if you can afford it. I sold my diesel for the same reason, my commute is <10miles and all city driving so the car never gets close to a DPF regen. I would pull up at work and the fan would sound like a 747 at take off as the engine had started a forced regen where it injects fuel in to the DPF to increase the temp
so it cleared on its own and surprisingly when I was stuck in slow moving traffic. Afterwards I drove for around 30inutes in 4 the gear on the motorway.

Filled up with shell.

anything else to do, thanks for the help.
rambobambo19/12/2019 17:08

so it cleared on its own and surprisingly when I was stuck in slow moving …so it cleared on its own and surprisingly when I was stuck in slow moving traffic. Afterwards I drove for around 30inutes in 4 the gear on the motorway.Filled up with shell.anything else to do, thanks for the help.

Just keep using decent fuel and try to avoid supermarket fuel. Yes I know it’s more expensive but your car will be happier

so it cleared on its own and surprisingly when I was stuck in slow moving …so it cleared on its own and surprisingly when I was stuck in slow moving traffic. Afterwards I drove for around 30inutes in 4 the gear on the motorway.Filled up with shell.anything else to do, thanks for the help.

I have a 2012 diesel Insignia with DPF issues wit a commute of 10 miles rush hour motorway driving per day, I now run the car in 3rd gear at 70 (3000 revs) every fortnight for 10 minutes on the motorway, I've tried more expensive fuel and additives but it didn't make a difference.
When it happened to my Audi I was ever so worried. Apparently you take it to motorway on 3rd gear and do 60. Never came on after that and I was a school parent and working odd days.

Get the thermostat and glow plugs checked. Key difference between today and the last couple of days is that today has been a lot warmer.
If you're going to go down the additive route I wouldn't bother with premium fuels. Might as well just use supermarket fuel and use amazon.co.uk/Eth…GGA It'll raise the cetane level to a similar level which can potentially lower the combustion temperature. That's what you want to aid regeneration. When it's doing an active regeneration, Make sure you complete it. You'll know it's doing a regen as the revs will increase and the fans will be on.

You can do a passive regen yourself by going on a decent run on motorway. Get your revs to 3-4k rpm and try and maintain that for 10 minutes. Do that regularly. Make sure you change your oil frequently too as any diesel left over from doing regen can end up in your oil. It kills seals and can cause oil level to rise which can be very bad for the engine.
ndyanem19/12/2019 17:09

Just keep using decent fuel and try to avoid supermarket fuel. Yes I know …Just keep using decent fuel and try to avoid supermarket fuel. Yes I know it’s more expensive but your car will be happier

*sigh*

all diesel has to comply with EN590 which is what every car is designed to run on
Sloman19/12/2019 15:26

Halfords offer a service to clean the DPF where they remove it and soak it …Halfords offer a service to clean the DPF where they remove it and soak it in some fluid.Might be best to trade for a petrol or Electric if you can afford it. I sold my diesel for the same reason, my commute is <10miles and all city driving so the car never gets close to a DPF regen. I would pull up at work and the fan would sound like a 747 at take off as the engine had started a forced regen where it injects fuel in to the DPF to increase the temp

Ah, right. Good idea. I'll just go and buy a new car, that'll cure my DPF issue.

As others have said OP, 15-20 mins run on motorway at reasonably high revs should cure it. I used to have to do it every 6 months or so in my Skoda Superb.
Was Ur engine software updated@ your service . Might be worth asking
dezbo888821/12/2019 17:13

Was Ur engine software updated@ your service . Might be worth asking

unlikely Audi fleeces money for every thing
rambobambo21/12/2019 18:18

unlikely Audi fleeces money for every thing

It's a emissions based recall /software update
There is no charge to owner . Cost is claimed by the dealer/franchise from the manufacturer
ok makes sense now so I know if my car was eligible???
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants