Dr Who ..............CARE this thread may contain Spoilers.

Found 24th Aug 2014
Saturday night, family gathered around, a year of anticipation.....what did you think of it?
Community Updates
MiscDoctor Who
855 Comments
I think my family talk too much & too loudly, so I will have to watch the episode again.

Apart from that, so far... Not enough costume changes for Jenna, & not enough of the new TARDIS interior.

PS. It took me a few episodes to appreciate Matt Smith's introduction to the programme, & I am glad I stuck with it/him, so I am prepared to wait a while with Peter Capaldi.

Fair to say that I will not be pre-ordering the Eighth Series on Blu-ray Disc just yet, though.

(Update: I waited to pre-order until the end of the second episode!)
Edited by: "fanpages" 21st Sep 2014
Original Poster
Yes I loved David Tennant and like you said it took awhile to adjust and now Matt Smith is my all time favourite, I thought he was absolutely 'The Doctor'.
"Doctor Who Extra" (BBC Red Button service)

Sunday 6:15pm to 7pm
Tuesday 5pm to 8pm
Wednesday 10am to 4pm
Thursday 5pm to 9pm
Friday 3:45pm to 11pm
Saturday 2am to 6am

Also available online via the BBC iPlayer:

"A new series, a new costume and a new Doctor! Take a Deep Breath and go behind the scenes on the first episode starring Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor."

[ bbc.co.uk/ipl…ath ]

This "behind the scenes" feature will also be available on the DVD & Blu-ray Disc release of this first episode.

---

Last night's opening episode:

Series 8 "1. Deep Breath"

[ bbc.co.uk/ipl…ath ]

"When the Doctor arrives in Victorian London he finds a dinosaur rampant in the Thames and a spate of deadly spontaneous combustions.

Who is the new Doctor and will Clara's friendship with him survive as they embark on a terrifying mission into the heart of an alien conspiracy?

The Doctor has changed. It's time you knew him."
when they first announced him I thought how can you have him as doctor but I really enjoyed it apart from Clara I just don't think she's good enough
just be good to know whom is "Misty" - seems that going to be in a episode with doctor and cybermen later in the series
mushraf2011

just be good to know whom is "Misty" - seems that going to be in a … just be good to know whom is "Misty" - seems that going to be in a episode with doctor and cybermen later in the series

SPOILER ALERT

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/doctor-who-series-8-filming-7345456

SPOILER ALERT

I was lucky enough to be part of this episode

And having worked with both Matt Smith and Peter C, Peter C is amazing to work with and very gracious

choc1969

...I was lucky enough to be part of this episode :3And having worked with … ...I was lucky enough to be part of this episode :3And having worked with both Matt Smith and Peter C, Peter C is amazing to work with and very gracious

In interviews I have seen, Capaldi always strikes me as being very humble, & incredibly thankful that he has the job he has.

I like the presence he brings on-screen with the character, & the influences he can draw upon given he has been a fan of the series since it started. He would not have been my first choice; that would have been Gary Oldman, but I can see Capaldi being a very formidable opponent in the "darker" direction this series is heading.

As I said above, Smith had a slow start, but absolutely made the part of "The Doctor" his own. The range of acting throughout his tenure was fantastic for anybody, not least an actor with his experience. I also think he made the right choice to leave to expand his career (especially since it was announced he has secured a minor role in the first, & a major role in the latter movies in the new "The Terminator" trilogy), but he will be back for later anniversary specials when asked.
jamespir

when they first announced him I thought how can you have him as doctor … when they first announced him I thought how can you have him as doctor but I really enjoyed it apart from Clara I just don't think she's good enough

her last job was in Emmerdale and she wasn't very good in that either!
I managed to download the first five episodes last night. They're in black and white and i haven't actually watched any of them yet but in case you're desperate, they are out there.
never liked dr who
never liked capaldi in musketeers and cant remember him in anything else
seems pretty much the same here too

this is not a promising mix for me!
I know it's down to money (isn't everything!) but I wish they wouldn't keep wheeling out the same enemies. First episode and the 'clockwork' robots - next it's the Daleks - again. I remember when Doctor Who was a Sci-Fi 'drama' but the modern ones are more a Sci-Fi 'comedy' now. Anyway, I don't mean to be all grumpy about it. I did enjoy the episode - on the whole.

Now, onto my 'nitpicking' as it were. I still have an issue with the jump from Smith to Capaldi. If someone could explain how we got from being with Smith, Coleman and meeting the 'War Doctor' (Hurt) on Trenzalore (The Name of The Doctor) to suddenly being back on Earth, Coleman as a Teacher - riding into the Tardis on a motorbike(?) in the middle of nowhere at the beginning of the next episode (The Day of The Doctor) where we eventually see Hurt again. It's like they skipped a bit with no mention of the 'inbetween' at all. As for the regeneration - underwhelmed, I was. Eccleston to Tennant (my fave Doc) was superb. Tennant to Smith was similarly great but what a let down from Smith to Capaldi. Just Pop! and he's there. I guess funds were low!

The latest episode - I'm all for fun but I don't like silly. For me, it was just silly. The dinosaur was unnecessary. The Victorian setting done to death. The 'Who Squad' (Vastra, Jenny & Strax) are becoming overused. Clara gets a full period hair-do in super-quick time. Then later, she's managed to produce a set of hair-straighteners to go back to normal again. Also (and I couldn't care less - for what it's worth) they managed to shoe-horn an albeit 'lesbian' kiss (under the guise of 'providing' oxygen) and a swearword into the episode. Modern Who, indeed! I guess I'll always be a Russell T. D. fan at heart and not a Moffat man. I think R.T.D. gave more feeling and emotional depth to the characters.

Now all we need is another Cybermen episode. Oh wait...

Best regards to all, Phsy.
Lots of fast talking , lot of character/scene switching, which made no sense to me, turned over and watched stng instead
It always takes time to get used to a new actor playing the role, but all in all I thought Peter Capaldi was pretty good.

I need to watch it again as I missed the first half, but from what I saw I think Capaldi will be good (although not sure if he's the kind of Doctor for me). I quite like Vastra as a character, but the 'oxygen sharing' was rather unnecessary. If you want them to kiss, just have them kiss!!
I liked it all. Especially the bits of Miss Jenny.
Original Poster
Yes, I too found continuity lacking from last series to this and greatly missed 'the regeneration'. I thought you always got to see this? Still the best part for me was when Matt's Doctor was on the 'phone, brought a tear to my eye. I miss him.
I think Peter Capaldi will be good and do the role justice but I'm not sure the story lines will ever match series 6, Amy, Rory & River Song unbeatable IMHO.
Edited by: "DangerousBeans" 24th Aug 2014
DangerousBeans

Yes, I too found continuity lacking from last series to this and greatly … Yes, I too found continuity lacking from last series to this and greatly missed 'the regeneration'. I thought you always got to see this? Still the best part for me was when Matt's Doctor was on the 'phone, brought a tear to my eye. I miss him. I think Peter Capaldi will be good and do the role justice but I'm not sure the story lines will ever match series 6, Amy, Rory & River Song unbeatable IMHO.

I spent too much time last night looking in the background for snippets that my be used as story arcs &/or plot devices in later episodes.

The theme of "Bad Wolf" & the Amelia/Amy/Rory/River/Mel(ody)-related stories have 'spoiled' my enjoyment of a new series in that respect.

"Classic" Who was so much easier to watch/enjoy!
Have to admit, I did not really enjoy the first episode.

Seemed to be lacking in a strong story line and the dinosaur was not needed.

Also getting a bit tired of them using the Victorian times.

Hopefully it will improve
TheBoss96

Have to admit, I did not really enjoy the first episode.Seemed to be … Have to admit, I did not really enjoy the first episode.Seemed to be lacking in a strong story line and the dinosaur was not needed.Also getting a bit tired of them using the Victorian times.Hopefully it will improve

The "Victorian" setting was there to allow The Paternoster Gang to persuade Clara (i.e. really the audience) that the new actor was going to take time to accept but he was still the same character just in a regenerated form.

Also, the plot of the story had parallels to Burke & Hare, and, arguably, Sweeney Todd, so the historic setting made sense in that respect.
I enjoyed it,but I'd echo sentiments here that it was a little bloated. Having watched the first 3 episodes already it is hands down the weakest one. The next one isn't much better either unfortunately. The Capaldi/Robin Hood dynamic in the third episode is great though, I think that's when Capaldi really hits his stride.

Zawe Ashton for the next companion too for my money... He says something to her in the second episode and given the themes they establish in the early episodes I'd imagine he'll be going back for her.
Edited by: "Krooner" 24th Aug 2014
^ "Jack Whitehall on Doctor Who: Zawe Ashton should replace Peter Capaldi as the Doctor":

[ radiotimes.com/new…tor ]

Also see...

[ twitter.com/Zaw…392 ]

@ZaweAshton: "Peter Capaldi is the perfect Who.A mythical punk.It's starting!!!V.proud to be alongside him & brilliant Jenna next week"
You can't put any money on it unfortunately. Ladbrokes have a market for the next companion but she's not available.

I think she'll be great though if she get's it! She's got a cool Dorothy vibe...

Edited by: "Krooner" 24th Aug 2014
I enjoyed the script this week.

Some thoughtful exchanges between the (new) lead characters, & an especially pertinent conclusion in the dialogue between The Doctor & "Rusty".

If only we had a machine to go back in time before Lieutenant Journey Blue became a solider.

Hang on a minute...

(So, if selecting a new companion... which colour would you take? Pink or Blue?)
Original Poster
I thought the quote 'resistance is futile' (when they were talking about the birth of a star) was taken from Star Trek tng. oO
I can't help thinking that the name Journey Blue is going to end up with a twist like River Song.
DangerousBeans

I thought the quote 'resistance is futile' (when they were talking about … I thought the quote 'resistance is futile' (when they were talking about the birth of a star) was taken from Star Trek tng. oOI can't help thinking that the name Journey Blue is going to end up with a twist like River Song.

"Resistance is Futile" was a line in the 1976 episode entitled "The Deadly Assassin" (with Tom Baker as The Doctor); spoken by The Master.

With The Doctor's description of Madame Vastra & Jenny Flint as "the green one & not the green one" in "Deep Breath", then "Into The Dalek" introducing 'Rusty', Journey Blue (& her Uncle Colonel [Morgan] Blue), & Danny Pink, followed by Will Scarlett in "Robot of Sherwood"... is this becoming some odd game of "Cluedo", or are we heading towards a theme for this finale of this series?

Update (13 September 2014)

"Listen" gaves us Colonel Orson Pink.
Edited by: "fanpages" 13th Sep 2014
fanpages

I enjoyed the script this week.Some thoughtful exchanges between the … I enjoyed the script this week.Some thoughtful exchanges between the (new) lead characters, & an especially pertinent conclusion in the dialogue between The Doctor & "Rusty".If only we had a machine to go back in time before Lieutenant Journey Blue became a solider.Hang on a minute...(So, if selecting a new companion... which colour would you take? Pink or Blue?)

My train of though with it was that if the Doctor's arc this series is going to be him finding out who he is, and he comes to the conclusion that anyone (himself included) is more than just the things they do then he'll owe Journey Pink an apology. That and he's going to have to drop her mate off when he rescues her from heaven, so he's going back there anyway...
ok why did the doctor bother to fix the darlek in the first place
it was a 'good' darlek that wanted to kill other darleks

they all turn small go inside, he repairs the darlek to prove that there is no good darleks... once repaired they have to mess about to try to get the darlek to remember when he was 'good'

if he just left it alone it would have saved the trouble
sixth_sense

ok why did the doctor bother to fix the darlek in the first placeit was a … ok why did the doctor bother to fix the darlek in the first placeit was a 'good' darlek that wanted to kill other darleksthey all turn small go inside, he repairs the darlek to prove that there is no good darleks... once repaired they have to mess about to try to get the darlek to remember when he was 'good'if he just left it alone it would have saved the trouble

...because if The Doctor had refused the Colonel & his army would have killed him for landing at the base without invitation.
Krooner

My train of though with it was that if the Doctor's arc this series is … My train of though with it was that if the Doctor's arc this series is going to be him finding out who he is, and he comes to the conclusion that anyone (himself included) is more than just the things they do then he'll owe Journey Pink an apology. That and he's going to have to drop her mate off when he rescues her from heaven, so he's going back there anyway...

Are you thinking "Heaven" is just the inside of another Time Lord's TARDIS?

Missy, or Mistress, is the feminine version of (The) Master? Or perhaps you subscribe to the theory that The Sheriff of Nottingham (Ben Miller) looks somewhat like the portrayal of The Master in "Classic" Who.

...or there is a new overarching villain that we have yet to meet (perhaps played by Keeley Hawes; Ms Delphox)?
fanpages

Are you thinking "Heaven" is just the inside of another Time Lord's … Are you thinking "Heaven" is just the inside of another Time Lord's TARDIS?Missy, or Mistress, is the feminine version of (The) Master? Or perhaps you subscribe to the theory that The Sheriff of Nottingham (Ben Miller) looks somewhat like the portrayal of The Master in "Classic" Who....or there is a new overarching villain that we have yet to meet (perhaps played by Keeley Hawes; Ms Delphox)?

The room we saw in episode 1 had a tardis-y feel, fountain in the centre, four walls, one door. But after episode 2 I'm not as sure. There was also a Missy in 'Nightmare in Silver' and the Cybermen can time travel... I think it could be the Cyber Controller/consciousness from that episode in a different body. I don't think it's The Master/Masteress/Rani.

Krooner

The room we saw in episode 1 had a tardis-y feel, fountain in the centre, … The room we saw in episode 1 had a tardis-y feel, fountain in the centre, four walls, one door. But after episode 2 I'm not as sure. There was also a Missy in 'Nightmare in Silver' and the Cybermen can time travel... I think it could be the Cyber Controller/consciousness from that episode in a different body. I don't think it's The Master/Masteress/Rani.

Yes, we already know The Cybermen make a return for the finale, so you may be onto something there.

It would have to be the consciousness though, as, erm..., the previous actress (Zahra Ahmadi) would be unlikely to have aged to match the physical form of the actress playing the current "Missy" (Michelle Gomez); "The Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere".

That title does indicate time travel is involved.

...and what of "The Woman in the Shop"?
fanpages

Yes, we already know The Cybermen make a return for the finale, so you … Yes, we already know The Cybermen make a return for the finale, so you may be onto something there.It would have to be the consciousness though, as, erm..., the previous actress (Zahra Ahmadi) would be unlikely to have aged to match the physical form of the actress playing the current "Missy" (Michelle Gomez); "The Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere".That title does indicate time travel is involved.......and what of "The Woman in the Shop"?

I suppose they could have recast, who knows. Or perhaps the Cyber Controller just liked the name? Actually in Nightmare in Silver he did christen himself "Mr Clever" maybe Missy is "Miss Clever"? I'm not sure about the shop woman. I suppose with Missy travelling in time it's easy enough to put her there but quite why she had to put Cara and The Doctor together who knows, I'm sure it'll turn into the muddy, convoluted, timey-wimey mess of a finale that Moff seems to enjoy.
Edited by: "Krooner" 3rd Sep 2014

(Continued from previous comments)

Posted here, within this thread, to avoid spoilers in the original "Deals" thread):

"Doctor Who: 50th Anniversary Collector's Edition (Blu-ray) - £28.79 at BBC Shop with code RP0914"

NectarPoint

...My thoughts on new series - I don't care that Capaldi is older, he has … ...My thoughts on new series - I don't care that Capaldi is older, he has just as much potential however I'm not loving the new series so far - nothing to do with Capaldi. Scottish accent is sometimes hard to understand, first two stories have been very weak and almost feels like the BBC have raised their 1990's Sunday evening archives for a poor Victorian 'Who done it' and an episode from the borrowers.Matt Smith's first story had some great strength, the second was poor but it didn't matter because we had a good start.Peter needs that good start and I blame Steven Moffatt completely.

From what I have read (elsewhere on "the Interweb"), this coming Saturday's story ("Robot of Sherwood") is the 'good start' it sounds like you think this series needs.

I do agree with you to a point; the first episode ("Deep Breath") was too long & drawn out. It did not need to be a "feature length". If I had visited the cinema to see it (like I did for the Fiftieth Anniversary episode), I think I would have been disappointed.

The existence of The Paternoster Gang was to 'ease' Clara into the change in The Doctor on-screen, but was really there to help the audience understand that a different face (actor) should not be seen negatively.

The (re-)introduction of The Doctor's vulnerability as "just a man" is an element that continued into the second (last week's) episode, "Into The Dalek".

This story was scene-setting for what is to come; building upon the discussion about The Doctor being a good man, or a man that tries to be good. That theme is going to be carried forward with Danny Pink's (back)story, & although The Doctor sees "a soldier" as a bad choice of career, given his regret in having to become a solider when he regenerated as The War Doctor, the parallels between the two characters (& the resultant realisation of this) will be interesting to watch over the coming weeks.

Next Saturday's episode (3), "Robot of Sherwood" will, of course, also feature soldiers, & given we are heading towards a finale featuring The Cybermen (one of the Universe's ultimate military forces), the theme looks set to continue until the end of the series.

PS. I have just received an e-mail to advise me that my (pre-)order of the "50th Anniversary Collection" Blu-ray Disc set has been despatched!
Edited by: "fanpages" 4th Sep 2014
Re: Series 8 ("Nu Who") Episode 3 - "Robot of Sherwood"

Robin: "So, is it true?"
The Doctor: "Is what true?"
Robin: "That in the future I'm forgotten as a real man, only as a legend."
The Doctor: "I'm afraid it is."
Robin: "Good. History is a burden. Stories can make us fly."
The Doctor: "I'm still having a little trouble believing yours."
Robin: "Why? Is it difficult to credit that a man born into wealth & privilege should find the plight of the oppressed and weak too much to bear?"
The Doctor: "No..."
Robin: "Until one night he is moved to steal a TARDIS & fly among the stars fighting the good fight."

Congratulations to Mark Gatiss for his writing this week, & to the (Post-)Production Editing team for the removal of some of the final fight scene (where one of the cast members was beheaded). It did not detract from the story, & the final message, at all!

In fact, it may have left that cast member's line about the connection between Robot & Man to the audience's interpretation.

Perhaps the Blu-ray Disc & DVD releases will feature the unedited scene so you can draw your own conclusions.
Edited by: "fanpages" 8th Sep 2014
I felt episode 3 had more of a kind of pantomime feel, like it was play, not saying that's bad...hahaha
ahmed123

I felt episode 3 had more of a kind of pantomime feel, like it was play, … I felt episode 3 had more of a kind of pantomime feel, like it was play, not saying that's bad...hahaha

It was a trip back to the roots of the programme; introducing the (younger) audience to historical subject matter with a futuristic/science fiction-twist.

Yes, the story may have suited Matt Smith's characterisation, but the off-handed remarks from Peter Capaldi's interpretation of the lead character, especially when he felt threatened by the heroic nature of Robin of Loxley, was definitely a better fit.

It is quite surprising that the series has not ventured into Sherwood Forest before, but we did have a small glimpse of Patrick Troughton (in 1953) when he played Robin for the BBC on television for the first time.

Patrick's grandson, Sam, of course, played the character 'Much' in the most recent (2006) BBC production.
I thought Saturday nights episode was brilliant, it was visually vivid ....maybe this was down to my Panny zt65 performing brilliantly and combined with my new Philips E5 wireless surround it was like being at the cinema. I've always loved the Robin Hood story too!!
Original Poster
I enjoyed this week's too, although a bit slow in places. It was a bit like Dr Who meets Pirates of the Caribbean.
airfix

I thought Saturday nights episode was brilliant, it was visually vivid … I thought Saturday nights episode was brilliant, it was visually vivid ....maybe this was down to my Panny zt65 performing brilliantly and combined with my new Philips E5 wireless surround it was like being at the cinema. I've always loved the Robin Hood story too!!

preferred your story about tv and speakers..... so evocative
Edited by: "brilly" 8th Sep 2014
Less than five minutes to go to "Listen".

Hope to see a few more comments this week, & perhaps a few more people past the first stage of "The Regeneration Cycle"...

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/_fanpages/10371604_1478384499063540_5569374561571610365_n_zpsdb16325b.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants