Draft from sash windows

Posted 7th Jan
Hi all, I have some sash windows that course really bad draft, I am trying to replace but the local council are giving me issues etc
what are the best ways to draft room? I can see gaps in the windows on the side, appreciate all suggestions!!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

27 Comments
We have this, rubber seals around the gaps like what you use on doors, duck tape and the worse windows we’ve brought sheets of plastic and stuck them on so it acts as secondary glazing. Oh and we have thermal curtains to
ndyanem07/01/2020 19:47

We have this, rubber seals around the gaps like what you use on doors, …We have this, rubber seals around the gaps like what you use on doors, duck tape and the worse windows we’ve brought sheets of plastic and stuck them on so it acts as secondary glazing. Oh and we have thermal curtains to

Sounds like a nightmare I was looking at those thermal blinds to just put infront
Aaronnnn07/01/2020 19:50

Sounds like a nightmare I was looking at those thermal blinds to just …Sounds like a nightmare I was looking at those thermal blinds to just put infront

We’ve put up with it for 20 years. House is grade listed so you get use to it
ndyanem07/01/2020 19:52

We’ve put up with it for 20 years. House is grade listed so you get use to …We’ve put up with it for 20 years. House is grade listed so you get use to it

Likewise, the next door house is gradelisted and the listing someone comes onto mine I have had the back ones replaced but not the front due to the restriction my bed is right nex to the window so I can feel the draft coming from the sides
Aaronnnn07/01/2020 19:56

Likewise, the next door house is gradelisted and the listing someone comes …Likewise, the next door house is gradelisted and the listing someone comes onto mine I have had the back ones replaced but not the front due to the restriction my bed is right nex to the window so I can feel the draft coming from the sides

Unfortunately you will have to adapt to. It’s worse when it’s windy coz they rattle. Big sheets of plastic help in the winter. You can but shrink film wrap for the windows aswell. Only a couple quid from home bargains or pound stretchers.
ndyanem07/01/2020 19:58

Unfortunately you will have to adapt to. It’s worse when it’s windy coz the …Unfortunately you will have to adapt to. It’s worse when it’s windy coz they rattle. Big sheets of plastic help in the winter. You can but shrink film wrap for the windows aswell. Only a couple quid from home bargains or pound stretchers.

Yeah will have to I like to open the windows sometimes too have you had a look at thermal blinds?
Aaronnnn07/01/2020 20:00

Yeah will have to I like to open the windows sometimes too have you …Yeah will have to I like to open the windows sometimes too have you had a look at thermal blinds?

I just have curtains on all the floors, the ground floor we’ve put on reflective film so people can’t see in but we can see out.
ndyanem07/01/2020 20:02

I just have curtains on all the floors, the ground floor we’ve put on r …I just have curtains on all the floors, the ground floor we’ve put on reflective film so people can’t see in but we can see out.

I’m in a flat so no one can see in, i will have a look at options
39618063-Ib6oW.jpgYou want caulk. Warm it up a bit on the radiator or in the oven and stick all the way round. It's possible to completely seal the windows. We had our grade 2 listed house windows fixed or replaced and we replaced many more than the council would allow, but how the hell are they ever going to know that you replaced a 20% destroyed window instead of fixing it like you should? Unless they have your house bugged I don't see how they could.
MIDURIX07/01/2020 20:37

[Image] You want caulk. Warm it up a bit on the radiator or in the oven …[Image] You want caulk. Warm it up a bit on the radiator or in the oven and stick all the way round. It's possible to completely seal the windows. We had our grade 2 listed house windows fixed or replaced and we replaced many more than the council would allow, but how the hell are they ever going to know that you replaced a 20% destroyed window instead of fixing it like you should? Unless they have your house bugged I don't see how they could.

Oh wow looks good will I be able to open the windows?
Aaronnnn07/01/2020 20:55

Oh wow looks good will I be able to open the windows?

Yes, but it will take about 5 minutes to remove all the caulk.
MIDURIX07/01/2020 21:51

Yes, but it will take about 5 minutes to remove all the caulk.

Ah great lol I like to open the windows I will have a better look in the morning to see where the gaps are visible and send some pics have a great evening
Can you not repair them? The wood has presumably shrunk/warped with age and I'd have thought period-appropriate repairs would be fine even on a listed building.

At a wet time of year like this wooden windows and doors should be at their tightest.
EndlessWaves07/01/2020 22:22

Can you not repair them? The wood has presumably shrunk/warped with age …Can you not repair them? The wood has presumably shrunk/warped with age and I'd have thought period-appropriate repairs would be fine even on a listed building.At a wet time of year like this wooden windows and doors should be at their tightest.

Mine are only 15 years or so old and there rubbish. Mind you it was done via a council restoration scheme and they’ve been thrown together
My father once mentioned he'd installed some very expensive hardwood sash windows on a large listed building when he was working as a carpenter / handyman, I'm pretty sure he said the manufacturer had used sprung bronze or brass to draft proof them.

Presumably something like this spring bronze weather strip (although it probably wasn't nailed on):-

I'm certainly no expert (thankfully I haven't lived anywhere with sash windows since I was a very young kid), but I would think that metal would probably work better on a sliding surface than rubber draft proof strip.
Do you have room inside the window for secondary glazing?
marshy5108/01/2020 08:35

Do you have room inside the window for secondary glazing?

Yes I do
39626463-wlTc5.jpgHi all see attached pic of what my issue is I assume the gaps are all around the window but only where you can open the wondow
It’s just the bottom sash? Lift the bottom sash out and superglue some Schlegel down the sides of it. Should cover the gaps and still let the sash slide up and down
39627063-bbZDB.jpg
Failing that put some secondary glazing in. Might cost a few quid if you don’t do it yourself
my dad's house has double glazed shash windows and i have a house with similar windows and i haven't noticed any particular draft. they are new sash windows and not the old ones.

can you replace the sash windows with new double glazed sash windows? they are more expensive than UPVC but they can be just as good as the upvc ones.
mutley108/01/2020 20:17

my dad's house has double glazed shash windows and i have a house with …my dad's house has double glazed shash windows and i have a house with similar windows and i haven't noticed any particular draft. they are new sash windows and not the old ones.can you replace the sash windows with new double glazed sash windows? they are more expensive than UPVC but they can be just as good as the upvc ones.

I have a couple in my garage for sale
marshy5108/01/2020 20:12

It’s just the bottom sash? Lift the bottom sash out and superglue some S …It’s just the bottom sash? Lift the bottom sash out and superglue some Schlegel down the sides of it. Should cover the gaps and still let the sash slide up and down[Image]

Hey thank you! will look into this, I have similar problems in the other room too! Thanks
mutley108/01/2020 20:17

my dad's house has double glazed shash windows and i have a house with …my dad's house has double glazed shash windows and i have a house with similar windows and i haven't noticed any particular draft. they are new sash windows and not the old ones.can you replace the sash windows with new double glazed sash windows? they are more expensive than UPVC but they can be just as good as the upvc ones.

Hey thanks, I did have a look at this and actually have UPVC in the back of the flat, however I am having issues with the council in letting me replace the front with UPVC!
marshy5108/01/2020 20:14

Failing that put some secondary glazing in. Might cost a few quid if you …Failing that put some secondary glazing in. Might cost a few quid if you don’t do it yourself

Where can I buy these from? I did have a look online but no luck
Aaronnnn08/01/2020 21:38

Where can I buy these from? I did have a look online but no luck

A double glazing company will do it but they’ll be expensive. Unless you measure them and source them yourself. Their easy to fix in, just screws all around. Them seal round the edges. I personally would go for the Schlegel option. Cheap easy and quick
Aaronnnn08/01/2020 21:37

Hey thanks, I did have a look at this and actually have UPVC in the back …Hey thanks, I did have a look at this and actually have UPVC in the back of the flat, however I am having issues with the council in letting me replace the front with UPVC!

in period properties, shash windows add value to the property as they keep the property looking period. i sold a period house in london a few years ago and that had upvc double glazed windows. i thought they looked fine and i prefer them to sash windows, but when i sold the house, the developer took all the windows out even though there was nothing wrong with them and replaced them all with double glazed sash windows because they wanted to increase the value of the development.

if you put in new double glazed sash windows, the frame and glass structure will not be draughty as it is all one built unit. your sash windows are draughty because they are old. not all sash windows are draughty.
Edited by: "mutley1" 9th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions