Groups

Drain Block!

Banned
    How much would it cost to get me drain unblocked? Never had it done before like..
    UPDATE!! PLS READ!!!
    Professional and DIY advice welcome :-)

17 Comments

Banned

Go down to your local hard ware store and get a chimney sweep set

diytools.co.uk/diy…asp
    £76.39 inc. VAT

diytools.co.uk/diy…asp
    £53.99 inc. VAT

Then you can start your own business as a drain clearer or chimney sweep = profit

if its the drain were your sink waste goes it probably just needs cleaning out by hand, if it is still blocked after that lift the manhole cover that should not be to far from the drain and check if it is full of water, if it is you will probably have to get some one in to unblock it. if its dry the pipe from the drain to the manhole is blocked you might be able to clear it by using a garden hose with a water jet on the end.

Original Poster Banned

yeahhhhh this namhole cover will it be in my garden or out in the street?

have you tried using a pressure washer on blockage most of the time thats all thats needed is a blast to clear it,you may need to buy an attachment for pressure washer if blasting it doesnt work

if u stay in glasgow il do it for you?

Original Poster Banned

hiya peeps!

ok so i found the manhole cover and it wasnt flooded or anything! thank goodness!

so now i have two options!

pressure washer (as mentioned above)

or get some bendy metal rods (from a plumbing shop i suppose)

question is, do i do this from the manhole cover?

or do i do it from where the pipe ends...so basically lift the plastic grate thingy and stick the rod/pressure washer down it and boom!?

Original Poster Banned

tonico;5466536

if u stay in glasgow il do it for you?

i left you rep with a message - spare some advice please?

both would do the job but what ever you think is easiest to get to then give it a try and if that dosent work try the other end i would try the rods first though

Original Poster Banned

hey would this be appropriate? dont know if it bends though......

wickes.co.uk/Plu…003

more information required.
    is it a sink, wc, bath,basin ect
    or all of the above?

Original Poster Banned

hibees;5466968

more information required.is it a sink, wc, bath,basin ect or all of the … more information required.is it a sink, wc, bath,basin ect or all of the above?

erm...its blocked, outside drain. dunno whats caused it inside. everything seems fine inside. i think we've decided not to turn on the washing machine though just incase...

i went in the drain outside and pulled out loadsa gunk but its still blocked and the inside of the outside drain bends so i need something bendy i think to get everything flushed

kapows;5466991

erm...its blocked, outside drain. dunno whats caused it inside. … erm...its blocked, outside drain. dunno whats caused it inside. everything seems fine inside. i think we've decided not to turn on the washing machine though just incase...i went in the drain outside and pulled out loadsa gunk but its still blocked and the inside of the outside drain bends so i need something bendy i think to get everything flushed

flush your loo - does it back up?
    run your kitchen sink - does that back up

instead of buying a set of drain rods you can buy a drain unblocker (chemicals/acid)
    from a plumbing wholesalers for around £20 if you can find out where it is blocked.
    Just pour it in and let it do the work.
    you wont even have to get your hands dirty.:thumbsup:

Banned

I had trouble getting a rod up to go up the channels and round corners, just be careful of any human **** as it all goes down the same drain

http://www.buildbase.co.uk/images/drainage-layout.gif

its usually the tick gulley ds12 that get blocked with fat and stuff from the kitchen drain. 9 times out of 10 you can stick a black bag on your hand shove it down and clear out the gunk.never known this not to work!

i bought these rods recently from wickes for £19.56 & it worked great :thumbsup:
    wickes.co.uk/Plu…003

Original Poster Banned

OK!! UPDATE!!

So i went to wickes and got this flimsy metal bendy wire with like a corkscrew effect at the tip. I jammed it down my drain as much as i could and it did pull up some small gunk.

Oh i found my manhole cover too it was about one meter away so i pulled that up just to see whats going on.

Everytime i ran the tap the water didnt go through the pipes in the manhole.
    The toilet pipe was a different one and the water was flushing fine you could see it swooshing in the manhole. Thank goodness it wasnt the toilet lol!

Anyway, i got some bags on my arm and went in the drain. It was absolutely disgusting i swear i could feel all mushy stuff and what not!

Heck i even pulled out what looked like plasterboard! I have no idea how that got in their but it was plaster or that glue around bathtubs all stuck together!

So once i cleared some stuff out with my hands, i really had a feel inside my drain. No monsters lurking in there!

However the piping wasnt as straightforward as i thought. It goes all the way down, but then it goes up again...Does that make sense?

Imagine sliding your left hand down your right hand, which was the easy part, then slide that left hand back up, behind the right hand. Thats how this piping went.

I tried sticking that metal wire as far as i could, rummaged around abit, and a big black gunk of junk finally came out and i saw it come out the manhole. It finally went through.

However, i can still feel stones at the bottom of the drain, before it takes the bend up, and the water is still clogged although it shouldnt overflow into the garden anymore because alot of it still goes into the main drain and through the pipes in the manhole, which it wasnt doing before.

Im not sure if the acid will corrode the stones and the gunk was really sticky hairy and gooey it was all clay and plaster and stuff.

I did have the kitchen done not too long ago so it might just have been someone of the dust and soot and glue gun remains which the guy rammed down the sink...plus he drilled in the wall to fit the piping behind the sink and maybe the stones and bits got in through that..but the only way to find out if the pipe isnt broken inside somewhere is to flush out all the stones from the bottom then see if it builds up again.

What do you guys think?

I had a look at them rods in wickes but they werent bendy and the best thing i could find was this bendy 4 meter wire which helped slightly.

the way the wickes rods work are that they have a round flat end so you wack it down on the water quickly and the pressure of the water causes any gunk to clear. where anything bendy will be more of a job because you are manually removing debris, but if the bottom of your gulley is clear, usually thats job done.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Dashcam question511
      2. Just an thought regarding Paypal22
      3. Best Custom ROM for XIaomi Redmi Note 234
      4. Finally got a Xbox one s11

See more discussions