Groups

Drayton Manor Theme Park - Splash Canyon ride closed after 'serious' incident (Girl has now died :( My thoughts are with her family)

SuperEd
    Update 2 17.50 -
    http://news.sky.com/story/drayton-manors-splash-canyon-closed-over-patient-in-water-10870380

An 11-year-old girl has died after being airlifted from a Staffordshire theme park after reportedly falling into the water

Update via staff Police

We were called at 2.25pm this afternoon to reports that a child had fallen from a water ride at Drayton Manor Park.

The girl, believed to be 11-years-old from the Leicester area, has been airlifted to Birmingham Children's Hospital.

Her parents have been informed and are being supported by officers.

The HSE have been informed of the incident.

https://www.facebook.com/staffordshirepolice/?ref=br_rs

---

Drayton Manor Theme Splash Canyon ride has been closed after 'serious' incident - reports of boy fallen into water on social media but nothing confirmed as of yet. - rumours of park being closed also.

You may want to check with DM if you have any plans to visit in the near future

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Y6TtYXkAAEN8a.jpg (image via @davecharlesF1 on twitter)

''A spokesman for Drayton Manor said: "The Splash Canyon ride has been closed following an incident this afternoon. Emergency services are at the scene and our fully trained park staff are assisting."

Just hope all involved are OK

Police say they are preparing a statement.
    Source

Cars are also being turned away link

52 Comments

nowt on news not even breaking news

can't b that bad as when Alton towers was BBC news but nowt bout Drayton manor as watching news

That's a river rapids ride. Those can have some really terrible accidents. Usually very safe though, I believe the only serious incident in the UK was 25 or so years ago in Thorpe Park that resulted in a kid losing an ear.

Here's hoping it's cuts and bruises and nothing worse.

Hopefully it wasn't Thomas Land.

Drayton Manor have tweeted: Splash Canyon has been closed following an incident this afternoon. Emergency services & our fully trained park staff are assisting.

Theres an article in the birmingham mail about it, apparently a young boy fell off the ride into the water.

Birmingham Mail. Say unconfirmed report that an 8 year old has fell off the water ride.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/drayton-manor-theme-park-closed-13009597

I hope he is okay if this is true.

Where does it say "Drayton Manor" has closed? Everywhere I see it just says "Splash Cannon" has closed?

Statement is to be ready out by DM in approx 1 hour (Twitter source).

TehGodfather

Where does it say "Drayton Manor" has closed? Everywhere I see it just … Where does it say "Drayton Manor" has closed? Everywhere I see it just says "Splash Cannon" has closed?

Correct it does say the ride is closed. But it also says security are turning cars away from the entrance.

some one in water just said on bbc

I'm hearing 11 year old girl / 8 year old boy???

Original Poster SuperEd

brumbird

I'm hearing 11 year old girl / 8 year old boy???

conflicting reports but think just 1 person involved

Incident at Drayton Manor Park

We were called at 2.25pm this afternoon to reports that a child had fallen from a water ride at Drayton Manor Park.
    The girl, believed to be 11-years-old from the Leicester area, has been airlifted to Birmingham Children's Hospital.
    Her parents have been informed and are being supported by officers.
    The HSE have been informed of the incident.

facebook.com/sta…_rs

Hope whoever involved is okay. It's the ride you sit in a round boat and it travels round the water ways.

So many people on other forums saying why don't they strap them in I'd hazard a guess as it's a water ride they don't in case they flip upside down Iv been on this ride with my kids and it felt very safe to me as long as you stay seated. So I'm left thinking as the news is saying parents have been contacted it may be a school outing or something similar rides like this should have a parent or guardian at all times on with them I hate going to parks like this and seeing packs of kids together with no guardian around. Now this may not of been the case with this incident and I hope the poor girl makes a speedy recovery. But please if you send kids on trips like this think about it seriously first you just never know or if you take your kids to these parks go on with them kids are not aware of the dangers like we are.

Sky news reporting a death
    http://news.sky.com/story/drayton-manors-splash-canyon-closed-over-patient-in-water-10870380
    An 11-year-old girl has died after being airlifted from a Staffordshire theme park after reportedly falling into the water. - updated at 17:47
    Edited by: "nathan3007" 9th May

Original Poster SuperEd

nathan3007

Sky news reporting a death … Sky news reporting a death :(http://news.sky.com/story/drayton-manors-splash-canyon-closed-over-patient-in-water-10870380

Literally got the breaking news also

My thoughts are with her family

So sad and Terrible news the poor child has died R.I.P little one.

That is very tragic news, 11 years is far too young :(, May she R.I.P. and the family and friends get all the support they need.

larrylightweight

So many people on other forums saying why don't they strap them in I'd … So many people on other forums saying why don't they strap them in I'd hazard a guess as it's a water ride they don't in case they flip upside down Iv been on this ride with my kids and it felt very safe to me as long as you stay seated. So I'm left thinking as the news is saying parents have been contacted it may be a school outing or something similar rides like this should have a parent or guardian at all times on with them I hate going to parks like this and seeing packs of kids together with no guardian around. Now this may not of been the case with this incident and I hope the poor girl makes a speedy recovery. But please if you send kids on trips like this think about it seriously first you just never know or if you take your kids to these parks go on with them kids are not aware of the dangers like we are.

Seatbelts are fitted in some versions of these. I believe bluto's bilge rat barges in Islands of Adventure has them (there's a particularly rough section I could see throwing people from the ride).

There have been cases of these flipping (the Thorpe Park example I gave was a boat flipping, as was that especially grizzly accident in australia) before though so I imagine it it's hard to know what's safer. It wouldn't suprise me if we see seatbelts or design considerations to make falling out these rides less likely (despite it being incredibly improbable based on current rider:accident numbers).

How sad .May the little girl rest in peace.ameen.

abigsmurf

Seatbelts are fitted in some versions of these. I believe bluto's bilge … Seatbelts are fitted in some versions of these. I believe bluto's bilge rat barges in Islands of Adventure has them (there's a particularly rough section I could see throwing people from the ride).There have been cases of these flipping (the Thorpe Park example I gave was a boat flipping, as was that especially grizzly accident in australia) before though so I imagine it it's hard to know what's safer. It wouldn't suprise me if we see seatbelts or design considerations to make falling out these rides less likely (despite it being incredibly improbable based on current rider:accident numbers).

I agree its a thin line to agree whats the safest way. I imagine once thrown from one you wouldn't be able to stand up in the water even if its only a foot deep the concrete surface would be slippery from algae the currant would be strong and pull you and the next float is never two far away to strike you. I believe this girl was on a school trip and i am guessing no adult was on the ride if that is the case that has to be addressed with this kind of ride not just a height restriction its not good enough to let a group of young kids on this type of ride.

another tragedy God bless this young girl and her family everyone's thoughts and prayers with the family

Probably the wrong time, but I find the interesting that if I took my child out of that school for a nice night break away I would be fined £60, but a school can take the class to a theme park and that's ok?

Chiptivo

Probably the wrong time, but I find the interesting that if I took my … Probably the wrong time, but I find the interesting that if I took my child out of that school for a nice night break away I would be fined £60, but a school can take the class to a theme park and that's ok?

Schools have been having trips out to theme parks and other places that a lot of people would say as not educational for decades. I think one of the reasons schools do is because so many families can't afford to do trips away like these. Sometimes if a class have good attendance in school they awarded points and then so many points will lead to a trip out well subsidised by school etc. Most schools have some kind of reward programme these days for good attendance.

Been lots of debates about children out of school for holidays so each to their own what families do.

Sad times for the family and friends of the girl and for anyone like staff who witnessed this accident.

I've been on school trips, admittedly primary school but even so why would they let kids ride alone, with the little kids its 1 adult per every 2 to 4 kids

Hocky

can't b that bad as when Alton towers was BBC news but nowt bout Drayton … can't b that bad as when Alton towers was BBC news but nowt bout Drayton manor as watching news

How wrong were you.

typical misc this is terrible and you are on about fines for holls, disgusting this is not the time or place for this show some respect

Going Alton towers next month, hopefully nothing happens

Mihir95

Going Alton towers next month, hopefully nothing happens

Hopefully? More like hope not. First and foremost R.I.P. Footage needs to be provided to rule out if the girl was being mischievous, slipped, jumped or walking on edge.

jinkssick

Hopefully? More like hope not. First and foremost R.I.P. Footage needs to … Hopefully? More like hope not. First and foremost R.I.P. Footage needs to be provided to rule out if the girl was being mischievous, slipped, jumped or walking on edge.

apparently she stood up on the ride to change seats and that's when the boat jerked​ or hit a rock and she tumbled out. hopefully there will be cctv coverage of the whole ride so they know what happened and to prevent further accidents/deaths.

poor little girl she must have been so excited in the morning when leaving home. at least the parents probably last saw her in an extremely happy mood and she was having fun before she passed away. terrible ordeal for the parents to go through and my thoughts and prayers are with them. can't imagine losing a young child probably every parents worst nightmare.

jinkssick

Hopefully? More like hope not. First and foremost R.I.P. Footage needs to … Hopefully? More like hope not. First and foremost R.I.P. Footage needs to be provided to rule out if the girl was being mischievous, slipped, jumped or walking on edge.

A girl has died and you want to see footage?, Rather sick, The only people that need to see that footage are those investigating and the the parents and family should they wish to see it.

shauneco

A girl has died and you want to see footage?, Rather sick, The only … A girl has died and you want to see footage?, Rather sick, The only people that need to see that footage are those investigating and the the parents and family should they wish to see it.

I don't think he's asking to see the footage specifically, just that if the footage indicates it was a tragic accident resulting from the girls actions rather than being the result of a ride fault, this should be made clear in order to re-assure people about the safety of these rides.

abigsmurf

I don't think he's asking to see the footage specifically, just that if … I don't think he's asking to see the footage specifically, just that if the footage indicates it was a tragic accident resulting from the girls actions rather than being the result of a ride fault, this should be made clear in order to re-assure people about the safety of these rides.

I apologize if that's what they meant.

just as i thought the girl stood up and was knocked in on a school trip this is why I hate this type of school trip not enough teachers for the kids at least 1 teacher per float and kids should wait there turn until a teacher becomes available kids in big groups do silly things and it's worse on school trips when they are excited the staff of this ride should also be making sure one adult per float. In my time I have seen 3 near misses at parks like this and if I or my wife hadn't spoke up it would of been tragic. I have even been on a ride when the bar I was holding onto came off on a fair ground ride at a festival. This is a tragic accident but staff could be more aware and I think sometimes get complacent when nothing happens for a while. Again R.I.P little Angel

I'd say they need to have life jackets fitted but i expect what killed her wasnt the falling in but being hit by a boat behind her own

dont see a reason for no seatbelt on these, have been on a few similar rides which were harnessed
    the way they are built means they are very hard to flip and could be made even harder if needed

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. RIP DOCTOR WHO710
    2. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1218
    3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?67
    4. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1430

See more discussions