Dreams

Found 25th Mar
I pretty much dream every night and when I asked my husband if he dreams every night, he says no. I googled whether it is unusual for someone to dream every time they go to sleep and surprisingly it states that we all dream when we are asleep but that we don't always remember our dreams.

I also have the unusual ability to control my dreams to a certain extent and when I googled this it states that it is called lucid dreams, where the person is still conscious even though they are asleep and subconsciously dreaming. It is certainly a very strange experience to know that you are dreaming and so influence your dream.

Do you dream every time you go to sleep and do you have any control over your dreams? Am I unusual to dream every night and to be able to control my dreams?
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
Everyone dreams. Some people just don't remember dreaming as they are not dreaming about anything memorable or are not interested in remembering what the dream was.

It's proven that you remember dreams more easily if you want to remember them.

Sometimes I don't remember what I dreamed about but I usually do remember at least one dream.

I have had the lucid dreaming too. Usually when I am about to wake up and I continue the dream consciously in my mind.
Edited by: "hearts22" 25th Mar
hearts227 m ago

Everyone dreams. Some people just don't remember dreaming as they are not …Everyone dreams. Some people just don't remember dreaming as they are not dreaming about anything memorable or are not interested in remembering what the dream was.It's proven that you remember dreams more easily if you want to remember them. Sometimes I don't remember what I dreamed about but I usually do remember at least one dream.I have had the lucid dreaming too. Usually when I am about to wake up and I continue the dream consciously in my mind.

when i have a really frightening dream, i wake myself up to stop the dreaming. i also change events in the dream to make the dream less frightening. sometimes this does not work and the dream changes the events back and so i change the events again to my preference and it can go on like this a few times before i wake up.
I have weird dreams that I sometimes remember, sonetimes they are twists on old memories and sometimes they are just random and sometimes they will be to do with something that has been happening recently to me or I have heard a lot about.

the other day after the ant and dec drink drive thing was all on the news/radio. I had a mad dream that I was ants wife and we lived in a supermarket, there was this shabby sofa in one of the isles and any was laying in it while I told him off like a child for what he had been up to...... I’m not even a celebrity fan and have no idea what that means. My mind works in strange ways when I’m sleeping
I have in the past controlled my dreams. Its brilliant but not happened for a few years now.. Maybe it has but I can't remember? I also dream in colour sometimes. I also dream every night although often I forget them soon after waking.. They say to write down as soon as you wake up
Edited by: "wayners" 25th Mar
farmlama1 h, 19 m ago

I have weird dreams that I sometimes remember, sonetimes they are twists …I have weird dreams that I sometimes remember, sonetimes they are twists on old memories and sometimes they are just random and sometimes they will be to do with something that has been happening recently to me or I have heard a lot about.the other day after the ant and dec drink drive thing was all on the news/radio. I had a mad dream that I was ants wife and we lived in a supermarket, there was this shabby sofa in one of the isles and any was laying in it while I told him off like a child for what he had been up to...... I’m not even a celebrity fan and have no idea what that means. My mind works in strange ways when I’m sleeping

yeah, dreams can be fantastical and as i sometimes know that i am dreaming, it is like watching a movie. i tend to dream about things that i have been thinking about or that has happened to me during the day or recently. if i want to dream about something, i just think about it before i fall asleep and often than not, i dream about it.

as i am aware of dreaming, i realise whilst dreaming that things are wrong. i dreamt that i was talking to someone who had passed away and in my dream i am thinking this person is dead and shouldn't be here, but hey this is a dream so let's go with it.
wayners1 h, 17 m ago

I have in the past controlled my dreams. Its brilliant but not happened …I have in the past controlled my dreams. Its brilliant but not happened for a few years now.. Maybe it has but I can't remember? I also dream in colour sometimes. I also dream every night although often I forget them soon after waking.. They say to write down as soon as you wake up

i don't make a point of remembering my dreams, i just do.

last night i had a frightening dream so i woke myself up to stop the dream but it was a struggle to keep awake as my brain wanted to fall back to sleep and i knew that if i allowed this, the dream would continue as my dreams continue if i wake myself up but I am not able to stay awake long enough before falling back to sleep.

i had an odd dream last week where the dream was a continuation of where i had woken up the night before. my dreams do tend to continue if i fall back to sleep shortly after waking up but as far as i can remember, it was the first time that the dream continues from the previous day. i was aware that i was dreaming so i was thinking in the dream that this is really odd as this was where the dream ended yesterday.

i also dream in colour, i have never dreamt in black and white. i didn't think you could do that.
Edited by: "mutley1" 25th Mar
wayners1 h, 17 m ago

I also dream in colour sometimes.

That’s got me wondering...
1. Doesn’t everyone dream in colour?
2. If you’re colourblind, do you dream in tonal colours?
3. If you’re born blind what do your dreams consist of?
Not being contentious, just wondering?
Toptrumpet10 m ago

That’s got me wondering...1. Doesn’t everyone dream in colour?2. If you’re …That’s got me wondering...1. Doesn’t everyone dream in colour?2. If you’re colourblind, do you dream in tonal colours?3. If you’re born blind what do your dreams consist of?Not being contentious, just wondering?

I have always wondered about point 3 too. I expect they are likely have the most amazing imaginations.. I suppose it depends on how thoroughly the people who have raised them have described everything in their world to them?

Little bit of a different subject but I very rarely remember dreaming.. And suffer badly from sleep paralysis since I was a kid. I always remember those experiences.
Toptrumpet15 m ago

That’s got me wondering...1. Doesn’t everyone dream in colour?2. If you’re …That’s got me wondering...1. Doesn’t everyone dream in colour?2. If you’re colourblind, do you dream in tonal colours?3. If you’re born blind what do your dreams consist of?Not being contentious, just wondering?

i did not even know that you can dream in black and white.

as my dreams are lucid, it means that not only do i get the visual effects, i also get the physical effects so in my dreams i feel that it is very real even though i sometimes realise that i am dreaming. i feel the physical effects of the dream.

one question that people have raised are what language do people dream in if they speak more than one language.
mutley13 m ago

i did not even know that you can dream in black and white.as my dreams are …i did not even know that you can dream in black and white.as my dreams are lucid, it means that not only do i get the visual effects, i also get the physical effects so in my dreams i feel that it is very real even though i sometimes realise that i am dreaming. i feel the physical effects of the dream.one question that people have raised are what language do people dream in if they speak more than one language.

I am Italian but speak English too and live here in the UK so I can answer this.

I dream in Italian but if in the dream I'm talking to someone who speaks English I speak English too in the dream.
chantelle31010 m ago

I have always wondered about point 3 too. I expect they are likely have …I have always wondered about point 3 too. I expect they are likely have the most amazing imaginations.. I suppose it depends on how thoroughly the people who have raised them have described everything in their world to them?Little bit of a different subject but I very rarely remember dreaming.. And suffer badly from sleep paralysis since I was a kid. I always remember those experiences.

i used to have regular episodes of waking up in the morning but i can not open my eyes and can not move my body. i can see that it is morning through my closed eyelids and i can hear everything that is going on but try as i might, i can not open my eyes or move at all.

it is a frightening experience and i always panic as i worry that i may not be able to wake up and that there is someone in the room waiting to harm me or that someone is on top of me, trying to hold me down. it is always a relief when i finally manage to open my eyes, which can be several minutes. i haven't had those episodes for a while now, but i can understand how frightening it can be.
mutley116 m ago

i used to have regular episodes of waking up in the morning but i can not …i used to have regular episodes of waking up in the morning but i can not open my eyes and can not move my body. i can see that it is morning through my closed eyelids and i can hear everything that is going on but try as i might, i can not open my eyes or move at all.it is a frightening experience and i always panic as i worry that i may not be able to wake up and that there is someone in the room waiting to harm me or that someone is on top of me, trying to hold me down. it is always a relief when i finally manage to open my eyes, which can be several minutes. i haven't had those episodes for a while now, but i can understand how frightening it can be.

That's sleep paralysis and happens to me sometimes. I have read about it recently as I was having it a lot lately and it seems to happen to everyone at least once.

Basically, your brain wakes up but your body is still paralysed. When you enter REM sleep your body goes like that to prevent you from acting out your dreams.

It's nothing dangerous for the health. It's just scary and almost everyone who experiences sleep paralysis says they sense a presence in the room or something on their chests etc. Nothing to worry about.

It seems linked to stress or sleeping on your back.

I'm on opiate medication right now and mine stems from that.
Edited by: "hearts22" 25th Mar
Ever wondered if lucid dreaming isn't actually controlling a dream but dreaming you can control your dream.

I dream more than once a night nightly, when I was younger I used to sleep walk, talk, have sleep paralysis and have severe regular night terrors. I would go months/years only having nightmares to the point nightmares aren't scary anymore.
I also saw a thing about how a study said you have to be a sleep a certain amount of time to dream but i have had dreams nodding off for a few minutes.
Edited by: "catbeans" 25th Mar
catbeans1 h, 1 m ago

Ever wondered if lucid dreaming isn't actually controlling a dream but …Ever wondered if lucid dreaming isn't actually controlling a dream but dreaming you can control your dream. I dream more than once a night nightly, when I was younger I used to sleep walk, talk, have sleep paralysis and have severe regular night terrors. I would go months/years only having nightmares to the point nightmares aren't scary anymore.I also saw a thing about how a study said you have to be a sleep a certain amount of time to dream but i have had dreams nodding off for a few minutes.

If I’m asleep for ten minutes I can dream so that study is rubbish.
hearts222 h, 44 m ago

That's sleep paralysis and happens to me sometimes. I have read about it …That's sleep paralysis and happens to me sometimes. I have read about it recently as I was having it a lot lately and it seems to happen to everyone at least once. Basically, your brain wakes up but your body is still paralysed. When you enter REM sleep your body goes like that to prevent you from acting out your dreams.It's nothing dangerous for the health. It's just scary and almost everyone who experiences sleep paralysis says they sense a presence in the room or something on their chests etc. Nothing to worry about.It seems linked to stress or sleeping on your back.I'm on opiate medication right now and mine stems from that.

i have always been scared of ghosts and the dark, and i have never grown out of it since i was a child (i haven't really grown out of a lot of things that kids do ) , so to be stuck in that state only enforces the idea that there is a ghost in the room and the fact that i can not open my eyes and it is all darkness, makes it even worse.

when i moved in with my husband and no longer sleeps on my own, the sleep paralysis stopped. it may have been from the stress of ghosts and the dark that set off the paralysis as having someone else in the bed with me gives me comfort and stops me worrying about ghosts and darkness.

i am better these days and can sleep on my own without distress, but i sometimes still get very worried if i am at home by myself at night.
catbeans2 h, 45 m ago

Ever wondered if lucid dreaming isn't actually controlling a dream but …Ever wondered if lucid dreaming isn't actually controlling a dream but dreaming you can control your dream. I dream more than once a night nightly, when I was younger I used to sleep walk, talk, have sleep paralysis and have severe regular night terrors. I would go months/years only having nightmares to the point nightmares aren't scary anymore.I also saw a thing about how a study said you have to be a sleep a certain amount of time to dream but i have had dreams nodding off for a few minutes.

i have never sleep walked or come across anyone that has. it would frighten me if i saw someone sleep walk. i often talk in my sleep and my husband says that i make a racket as i often shout, not just talk. i have even kicked my husband or punched him as i am fighting in my dream and i am also actually fighting in reality.

when i was younger i have nightmares regularly but nowadays i don't have so many. it is definitely related to stress and i always get terrified when i get nightmares even when i know i am dreaming. i used to get recurring nightmares so they would be the same theme each night.

i dreamt that i was dead once but i could see myself as dead and wondered if i would wake up as i knew i was dreaming.
mutley13 h, 56 m ago

i used to have regular episodes of waking up in the morning but i can not …i used to have regular episodes of waking up in the morning but i can not open my eyes and can not move my body. i can see that it is morning through my closed eyelids and i can hear everything that is going on but try as i might, i can not open my eyes or move at all.it is a frightening experience and i always panic as i worry that i may not be able to wake up and that there is someone in the room waiting to harm me or that someone is on top of me, trying to hold me down. it is always a relief when i finally manage to open my eyes, which can be several minutes. i haven't had those episodes for a while now, but i can understand how frightening it can be.

That's more or less a classic description of sleep paralysis, something I suffered from regularly during my twenties. I used to get the chest compression feeling as well. It is a frightening thing to go through, I used to think that people would think I was dead and that I'd be buried alive. My wife said I used to make some peculiar noises like stifled screams when I was trying to wake myself up. GP said it was stress related but had no stress issues at home or work, they just stopped eventually.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 25th Mar
jaketheplumber2 h, 27 m ago

That's more or less a classic description of sleep paralysis, something I …That's more or less a classic description of sleep paralysis, something I suffered from regularly during my twenties. I used to get the chest compression feeling as well. It is a frightening thing to go through, I used to think that people would think I was dead and that I'd be buried alive. My wife said I used to make some peculiar noises like stifled screams when I was trying to wake myself up. GP said it was stress related but had no stress issues at home or work, they just stopped eventually.

i am the sort of person that stresses myself over everything and anything so i am constantly stressed. it is just a matter of the stress level that i am at. it doesn't help when i have so much on that stresses me out.

when i was in the sleep paralysis, i used to try and scream as i thought that if i could not move or open my eyes, at least if i could scream, it may wake my body up. however i never managed to make any noise as i could hear what was going on so i had the sense of hearing but i could not hear anything coming out when i tried to scream. the first thing that happens when i manage to get out of the paralysis is that my eyelids finally open and i immediately jump of out bed and throw off the duvet covers and inspect the room to make sure that there is no one there even though i was so scared to see someone lurking in the room.
I heard somewhere that you cannot read when you dream as it's a different part of the brain that is used, but I can definitely remember reading signs or notes that I've read in my dreams.
Bigfootpete11 m ago

I heard somewhere that you cannot read when you dream as it's a different …I heard somewhere that you cannot read when you dream as it's a different part of the brain that is used, but I can definitely remember reading signs or notes that I've read in my dreams.

i don't know about reading as i don't recollect seeing signs or reading anything in my dreams, but i have certainly solved mathematical problems during sleep, so if that part of the brain is also used to read, then you can certainly read or see signs in your dreams.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions