Dress changed colour after washing, what are my rights for a refund?

Found 10th Dec 2012
I bought 2 Asian dresses yesterday and washed them today, one has gone from a lovely brown colour to a sort of dirty green and the other which is exactly the same except cream with the same brown trimming has also had the brown turn into a green. now Asian shops aren't the best for refunding money so what are my rights as a consumer to getting a refund of them? as there were no washing instructions I did it on a cold wash just to be safe. I've contacted the shop and he told me to come in with the receipt and dresses but he didn't say he would refund me rather that they would send it off to head office and then they would advise after looking into the matter as they haven't had any other complaints. am I entitled to a refund or not? any help would be appreciated as I'm going to the shop tomorrow with hubby who's adamant we are entitled to a refund. I'd also like to add that both dresses were washed separately.
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
MiscDressWashing Machine
49 Comments
adhkarzf

I'm going to the shop tomorrow with hubby who's adamant

Can I have his autograph? I "love Stand & Deliver" !
http://www.sabotagetimes.com/wp-content/uploads/600full-adam-ant.jpg
I would have was the garments by hand if no instructions. I do try and avoid buying clothes that don't go in washing machine but will buy if I really like something. I think you be lucky to get them exchanged, I wouldn't exchange with another of the same either.
take some video / photo evidence of everything (receipt - dress etc)
take recording device with you when you go back to shop

the goods are not fit for purpose so full refund should be given without question but if you have doubts to the quality/supplier then maybe you should think about others being ripped off and contact Trading Standards etc
I definitely don't want an exchange, also I honestly don't think hand washing would have made a difference not mentioning the fact that I have never washed anything by hand!
lol - refund from asain shop!

aint gonna happen. u should have handwashed it he would say.

by the way which shop was it (head office??)
the shop is a very respected one and I have bought from them many times without a problem. also if anything is faulty they have always been quick to exchange it for me. I've just never had to ask for a refund especially after washing something.
thanks for the photographing idea I didn't think of that.
its a franchise called poshak mahal
adhkarzf

the shop is a very respected one and I have bought from them many times … the shop is a very respected one and I have bought from them many times without a problem. also if anything is faulty they have always been quick to exchange it for me. I've just never had to ask for a refund especially after washing something.thanks for the photographing idea I didn't think of that.

which one is it?
as stated above its called poshak mahal
i think you should be able to get a refund.
adhkarzf

its a franchise called poshak mahal

mahal is tagalog (filipino) for love or expensive (yes it has 2 meanings)
philphil61

mahal is tagalog (filipino) for love or expensive (yes it has 2 meanings) … mahal is tagalog (filipino) for love or expensive (yes it has 2 meanings)

Means expensive in Bahasa (Malay and Indonesian) too.
its only in green street - i think (looking at locations)

i dont think they will help - so its good u are going in fully armed. last time i was in ilford lane - there was a woman trying to return some item to shades and it was kicking off proper, dunno what happened but the owner was threatening to call the police cos the woman was getting so stressed.

good luck! those suits aint cheap.
philphil61

adhkarzf its a franchise called poshak mahalmahal is tagalog (filipino) … adhkarzf its a franchise called poshak mahalmahal is tagalog (filipino) for love or expensive (yes it has 2 meanings)

in Hindi Mahal means palace
magicbeans

its only in green street - i think (looking at locations).

no they have 3 in green street, I know of one in Whitechapel and I think I saw one on Ilford lane, next place would assume Southall.

the guy on the phone was quite surprised as he said that they have sold lots but no one has come back with any complaints, but how do I know thats true! It's not like Asian shops ever do a clothing recall they'd rather cut their arm off than suffer even the tiniest of losses.
^^^

too true!

let us know how u get on
If you don't get a refund, is the material suitable for you to dye it yourself?

dylon.co.uk/
Once bought a fancy gharara for my wife in Bradford, where they had signs of no return no refund in almost all the shops. When I asked the shopkeeper if they don't come under the British law with regards to the cooling off regulations he told me a cock and bull story about how people try to return the dresses for full refund after they use them for the parties. I am not sure what role trading standards would play under these circumstances.
Mark2111

If you don't get a refund, is the material suitable for you to dye it … If you don't get a refund, is the material suitable for you to dye it yourself?http://www.dylon.co.uk/

no as it has white embroidery on it!

you know I'm going to regret starting this thread if he gives me a refund without any fuss! I'll let you guys know how I get on tomorrow. thanks for all the support and ideas everyone.
pied_piper

Once bought a fancy gharara for my wife in Bradford, where they had signs … Once bought a fancy gharara for my wife in Bradford, where they had signs of no return no refund in almost all the shops. When I asked the shopkeeper if they don't come under the British law with regards to the cooling off regulations he told me a cock and bull story about how people try to return the dresses for full refund after they use them for the parties. I am not sure what role trading standards would play under these circumstances.

most of green street had those signs in the shops but I haven't been clothes shopping for ages so I'm not sure if they still do. most Asian shops just offer an exchange practically never a refund.
Buy another one, they were only £2 right?
adhkarzf

in Hindi Mahal means palace

h4mza

if you find a dress for £2 in the same shop let me know and I'll buy them all twit.
Good luck, hope you are at the very least able to get an exchange.

So any news ?

I hope you not been fobbed off, I've have loads of issues with nearly everything I buy lately.
http://i47.tinypic.com/xqktop.jpg
h4mza

Is the store in Green Street, London? I saw plenty for £2 there when i went about 2 months ago.
god bless my hubby! he stood his ground and we got our refund which is probably a first for the shop as it took 30mins of beating round the bush and giving us the option to get a credit note. he seriously didn't want to give a refund then I dropped in that I've spoken to consumer adviceline and they have advised me that if faulty then I am entitled to a full refund. thank you everyone for your support and just goes to show if you block the que for long enough they'll refund you just to get you out of the shop!
adhkarzf

he stood his ground and we got our refund which is probably a first for … he stood his ground and we got our refund which is probably a first for the shop as it took 30mins of beating round the bush...

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1351827143348_9001623.png
h4mza

h4mza Buy another one, they were only £2 right?Is the store in Green … h4mza Buy another one, they were only £2 right?Is the store in Green Street, London? I saw plenty for £2 there when i went about 2 months ago.

really well you should have started a thread and I would have picked up loads of those so called 3 piece suits for £2.
I have lived near green street for over 17 years and regularly go there being Asian. I have never come across a £2 suit that came with a Salwar and duppatta. I have come across tops for £2 so unless you can prove your £2 claim I think I'll choose to ignore your comment.
MisterNecro

adhkarzf he stood his ground and we got our refund which is probably a … adhkarzf he stood his ground and we got our refund which is probably a first for the shop as it took 30mins of beating round the bush...

how long did you wait to use that come on be honest lol
I'd not buy there again if it was me.

Mum2ConnornCerys

I'd not buy there again if it was me.

well that was the first time in 17 years I bought a dress from them but I regularly buy shawls from them and have never had any problems. if they have something I really like then I'd probably still buy from them but I don't think I'll be so lucky with another refund if things were to go wrong.
adhkarzf

god bless my hubby! he stood his ground and we got our refund which is … god bless my hubby! he stood his ground and we got our refund which is probably a first for the shop as it took 30mins of beating round the bush and giving us the option to get a credit note. he seriously didn't want to give a refund then I dropped in that I've spoken to consumer adviceline and they have advised me that if faulty then I am entitled to a full refund. thank you everyone for your support and just goes to show if you block the que for long enough they'll refund you just to get you out of the shop!

I am glad that it went well for you .Which customer adviceline you were hinting at ?
WOW! that must have been a first for that shop.

good going guys
I went on to trading standards website and then clicked on consumer rights and typed in my postcode which directed me to an online guide by my local council which had a number at the end of the guide to call. so called them and asked their advice which wasn't much but atleast I wasn't lying as I can't stand liers.
Well done, hope you can find some nice dresses elsewhere.
I hope so too, I barely ever buy ready made my in laws usually send them from India tailor made but that means I never get to choose the clothes and have to wear whatever is sent. sad thing is I'm married to a tailor who never has the time to sew!
adhkarzf

really well you should have started a thread and I would have picked up … really well you should have started a thread and I would have picked up loads of those so called 3 piece suits for £2. I have lived near green street for over 17 years and regularly go there being Asian. I have never come across a £2 suit that came with a Salwar and duppatta. I have come across tops for £2 so unless you can prove your £2 claim I think I'll choose to ignore your comment.

I don't know about the full suit but all i remember is that when i walked pass that store, they had a big £2 sign everywhere, so i assumed everything must cost £2.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants